Troublesome Camera View Display

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: mel wilson, rd, groundsquirrel, Cat1, ricktobin, Exxman, gbesoain, skipperdan

Troublesome Camera View Display

Postby jaeger52 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:41 pm

For purposes of taking better screenshots and movies, how does one get rid of the troublesome camera display text which pops up every time you change views in FSX?

Jaeg-
Attachments
Text.jpg
Text.jpg (2.78 KiB) Viewed 1830 times
jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Postby mel wilson » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:13 am

Brucie,

Yo not been paying attention li'l buddie, yo need my li'l old cure boy, now yo pay attention to what i'm about ta to say to yo li'l ole whippersnapper.....

ya go back a a few months an read what I wrote with regards to video making.

Now you pay attention in future boy, ya hear !

if yo need a reminder, then yo best hollar boy, yo hear me ? if yo aint gonna pay attention to what I have said, then yo best be prepaired to get yo ass whipped.

Aunt mel.

http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html
mel wilson
Forum Moderator - Master member

Postby jaeger52 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Mel,

Can you help me out with a link to that thread? I've been searching and searching and can't find a thing. Could it have been posted up during one of the times I was away?

Jaeg-
jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Postby mel wilson » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:11 pm

Brucie,

I am going to assume we are talking FS9, and Movie Making, at which point, I am emailing you the modified Language.dll You will need to backup your original, and replace it with this one. You will find it lurking in the root folder.... NOT the Modules Folder, rename it language.bak, or something similar.

I am going to look through my Fs9 cfg file, and see what changes I made in there, and will post them up here, but in the meantime, the language dll will start to help straght away.

Good luck, any problem, call me back on here, that way others can see if they need to make the same changes, I will also check where I originally located the dll file.

Mel.

UPDATE: Ok Bruce, found it over at Avsim, you are looking for filename nobrakes.zip or go here, but its a direct download from avsim, not a link, but it's safe http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=54298

UPDATE 2: It seems that this file on Avsim was lost during the recent hack, but I did find my orginal download from avsim, and along with the language file, which by now, you should already have, is doc file which I have inserted below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a follow-up to the original NOBRAKES.ZIP Flight Simulator 2004 language.dll file modification, also available in the AVSIM file library. This newer language.dll file mod eliminates a much wider variety of pop-up scroll bar messages than before and is geared toward the group of hardcore, more experienced simmers. Please read the warning further down in this Readme file before installing! Also, please note that this file modification will ONLY work with english language installations of Flight Simulator 2004!

What this FS2004 language.dll modification file does:

Deletes practically all of the pop up scroll bar messages that normally appear in FS2004 including, FLiGHT SIMULATOR PAUSED - PRESS P TO CONTINUE, BRAKES, PARKING BRAKE SET, CRASH, INSTANT REPLAY, STALL, OVERSPEED, MAIN EXIT OPENING/CLOSING, TAILHOOK UP/DOWN, WINGS FOLDING, among others. The flight video pop-up lables such as recording speed, ect, have also been erased completely.

In addition, view labels such as SPOT, COCKPIT, VIRTUAL COCKPIT, and TOWER are also eliminated, including the current zoom value displays.

The SLEW pop-up label is also erased. The numeric values such as latitude/longitude/heading, ect, will still be displayed at the top of the screen. However, you can simply press SHIFT-Z while in Slew mode to cycle through the Slew pop-up displays until the screen is clear. This is great for making dramatic screenshots! The slew pop-up display will remain clear until you switch aircraft and is so very easy to manually get rid of that only a minimum of modification to this particular display has been done.

The Instant Replay pop-up scroll bar has now been eliminated completely, you can now watch those landing replays with a little more fidelity or even make some cool movies without having that irritating label on your playback screen.

All in all, eliminating a host of scroll bar messages from popping up in Flight Simulator 2004 lends a little more fidelity to your simming experience, at least I think so. :)

WARNING BEFORE INSTALLATION OF THIS FILE MOD:

This file mode shouldn't harm your FS2004 installation or cause any undo behavior. This being said, please be advised that without some of the original pop-up labels displaying anymore, things can be a little disorienting at times until you get used to it. For example, if you inadvertedly pause Flight Simulator you might be tempted to think the program has locked down because you no longer will get the 'Simulation is paused - press P to continue' label. Also, when experiencing a building crash on the ground and not having the 'BUILDING CRASH' label popping up anymore can make FS2004 seem like it's acting a little loopy. Remember that FS2004 will reset the flight after a crash sequence. If you notice FS2004 constantly resetting the flight on the ground with this file mod installed, most likely you are experiencing a building crash sequence. (Hint, look for a wingtip dragging against a nearby hangar or something along those lines). As long as you are cognizant of the potentially disorienting effects of not having some of the particular pop-up labels such as CRASH, STALL, and OVERSPEED, ect, you should do okay. Similarly, if you have an aircraft stress breakup in mid-air you might get a little confused when Flight Simulator simply stops and resets the flight.
As long as you rationalize the situation taking place without a pop-up message intervening, you should do okay. :)

If the situation really bugs you though, simply use the original NOBRAKES.ZIP file mod (found in the AVSIM libary) for a 'lite' version of language.dll that only eliminates a few of the scroll bar messages. Alternatively, just re-install your original language.dll file to reset Flight Simulator to all normal pop-up messages again. (See installation notes below).

One final caveat: The pull down menu view label at the top of your FS2004 screen will not show the correct view window label with this mod installed. For example, if you are in cockpit view and you access the top pull down view menu, the label will simply show '00', instead of 'COCKPIT'. This is true for all views. This can be a pain if you use the top pull down menu to change views, but if you simply press 'S' like I do you can scroll through views from the keyboard. :) Also, since the zoom level will no longer appear on the screen when switching views, you can access the top pull-down view/3d view options menu to set this as desired. You can still zoom and unzoom by the +/- keys in the regular window view of course but you won't have the zoom value display to reference. Use the top pull-down view menu to fine tune your zoom level before you flights and you should be fine.

INSTALLATION:

BACK UP THE ORIGINAL LANGUAGE.DLL FILE IN YOUR FLIGHT SIMULATOR 2004 ROOT DIRECTORY AND MAKE SURE IT'S IN A SAFE PLACE BEFORE PROCEEDING. Ok, now that you've done that, simply copy the Language.dll file found in this .zip archive into your Flight Simulator 2004 root directory, overwriting the original. That's it! Your done.

To uninstall and restore Flight Simulator 2004 to it's original state replete with pop-up scroll bar messages, simply copy your original language.dll file back into your FS2004 root directory.

Special thanks to Ian Scott for helping me test out this latest mod and making sure it worked smoothly!

Have Fun!

Questions/Comments/Threats to:

Julie Rhodes

email: julie_27_f@yahoo.com
mel wilson

Postby jaeger52 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:25 pm

Thanks Mel, But....

If you reread my original post, you'll see that I am referring to FSX, which you do not have, correct? :?

Consequently, I don't dare install your language.dll into FSX unless someone here can tell me that it's safe to do. But I would really like to know what changes it will make before installing. 8O

A bit more information for you, et al:

I am trying to get FSX set up and configured for making movies and want to make changes to things like:

1) No display of Brakes notification.
2) No display of Viewpoint notification
3) No display of ATC (audio only)
4) Slow down the panning rate
5) Any other suggested changes you guy's can come up with.

Jaeg- :wink:
jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Postby mel wilson » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:49 am

Bruce,

In answer to your question, and taking into account it's fsx, I doubt there has been anything produced that would give the same results as nobrakes.zip for fs9.

However.......... there is a language.dll residing in the fsx root folder, and I have no idea if the fs9 version will work inside fsx, my best answer is "Suck it and see", not forgetting to back up th original dll.

In the meantme I will look into the problem

mel wilson

Postby mel wilson » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:58 pm

Well Bruce,

As I suspected, the fs9 language.dll is NOT compatible with fsx, and only serves to crash the prog if you attempt to use it, so thats a no go....

All there is left are the manual switches within fsx setup which will turn off some messages, but not all.

I know how troublesome these can be popping up from time to time whilst in the process of video capture, so until someone comes up with something similar buddie, then i'm afraid your stuck with, I did the best I could.

I just wish that someone else will now come along a prove me wrong, boy I could use mod myself.

Mel.

mel wilson

Postby harkonnen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:03 pm

Does this help?

Seems like Mutley's got it going on with FSX tips.

"Removing all screen messages for screenshots or movies:
Add the following line to the end of the [MAIN] section of the fs9.cfg or FSX.cfg file.
HideInfoText=1
This will remove messages such as replay, brakes, virtual cockpit and zoom etc. and takes a little getting used to!
"

....is a quote from the following web page at Mutley's The info is several tips down the list.

http://www.mutleyshangar.com/tips.htm

And this may apply to the general issue...

http://www.flightsimulatorguide.com/fsx ... akemessage
harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Postby jaeger52 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:51 pm

Harky old boy, thank you for taking the time to hunt down these two websites! Cooliesta dude! I owe you one my friend! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Strangely, both links you provided offered different ways of turning off the brakes notification and more. I've bookmarked both invaluable websites sites and suggest others do the same.

To turn off the brakes notification, http://www.mutleyshangar.com/tips.htm says to do this:

Removing all screen messages for screenshots or movies:
Add the following line to the end of the [MAIN] section of the fs9.cfg or FSX.cfg file.
HideInfoText=1
This will remove messages such as replay, brakes, virtual cockpit and zoom etc. and takes a little getting used to!

And http://www.flightsimulatorguide.com/fsxfaq.html#brakemessage offers a different solution plus solutions to a few more potentially troubling text messages:

How do I remove the annoying brake message from the screen?
Open the fsx.cfg file and search for "InfoBrakesEnable". Directly below this line is another setting called "InfoParkingBrakesEnable". You can change both of them to:
InfoBrakesEnable=False
InfoParkingBrakesEnable=False
The fist one enables/disables the brake message when the autobrakes are still in RTO position after the takeoff. The other one enables/disables the parkingbrake message. Below these 2 settings, there are another 4 settings about text messages: InfoPauseEnable, InfoSlewEnable, InfoStallEnable, InfoOverspeedEnable. You may disable these text messages as well if you like to see no text messages at all.

A word of warning to those who may decide to make these changes to their FSX.cfg file.....Make a backup copy of the original FSX.cfg file before making any changes. :!:

Jaeg-
jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Postby mel wilson » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:55 pm

Really good find Hark, not seen that before, tried the mod in fsx, and found that shift+e still brings up a message at the top of the screen, it's getting a little late here, so i'll have another look tomorrow.

Mel.

mel wilson

Postby rd » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:52 am

I'll also check into this tomorrow morning. If I can get all the messages to not display, I'll post up what I did, and make this a sticky.

I think alot of people would be interested in this.

RD

ImageImage

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "
rd

Postby mel wilson » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:41 am

Early indications show that most of the text display has been removed, however, I did notice that the Fuel Truck & Main Exit texts remain, maybe RD can confirm this, but it's a step in the right direction.

Mel.

mel wilson

Postby harkonnen » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:21 pm

I was also wondering if you have the ability to crop the screen as you like when editing the videos you guys make. Could you just drop the top or raise the bottom border enough to crop off the offending text and still have a happening video? My PC is too slow to make movies so I don't have any experience here.
harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Postby mel wilson » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:38 pm

@Hark, yes you can crop the top of the screen and remove the offending text, you can also brush/clone it out, thats ok for screenshots, however, it's not possible for moviemaking, especially if your using Fraps, I have no experience really with using anything else but.

Mel.

mel wilson

Postby jaeger52 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:12 pm

Yesterday afternoon, I joined FlightSimulatorGuide's FSX General Discussion forum, and inquired if there was any way of editing the FSX.cfg to slow down the pan rate in the VC. No response so far. But it's a small forum database at this point so it might take a while for someone to reply.

I also posted the same question at Mutley's Hangar FS9/FSX forum a few minutes ago. Mutley's forum seems to have a bit more content than FSG (above). Unless someone here locates the solution first, it's a wait and see game at this point.

Jaeg-

EDIT:
mel wilson wrote:Early indications show that most of the text display has been removed, however, I did notice that the Fuel Truck & Main Exit texts remain, maybe RD can confirm this, but it's a step in the right direction.

I'm a bit confused here. Are you testing in FSX, Mel? I thought you weren't running FSX?
jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X - FSX