FSX eyepoint question

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: mel wilson, rd, groundsquirrel, Cat1, ricktobin, Exxman, gbesoain, skipperdan

FSX eyepoint question

Postby Radioman » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:55 pm

I have found the line in the aircraft.cfg file that contains the location of the viewpoint. It has three numbers that serve the same function as the xyz values in a camera definition. They set the location of the eyepoint relative to the aircraft center reference point. My question is can I specify values for pbh on that eyepoint like I can with camera viewpoints? What I have is an aircraft whose viewpoint is angled up about 20 degrees instead of looking straight ahead when I initially load it and go to virtual cockpit. Can I insert a line in the aircraft.cfg file that will adjust the pbh so that the view is level with the horizon? What would be the exact syntax that need to use so that fsx wilm recognize and execute the command?
Radioman
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Postby jandjfrench » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi,

I just came across your post and had the same questions regarding eyepoint as you. I referred to the Aircraft.cfg section of the SDK and couldn't see any way to change the PBH.

What aircraft do you have that has the upward view angle? There must be something in it's CFG file that accounts for this.

Let me know.

Jim
jandjfrench
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Postby mel wilson » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:46 pm

I see no reason why you cannot input your own values to suit you own eypoint, to be safe, make a note to the original values, then change yours by small amounts.

Mel.

http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html
mel wilson
Forum Moderator - Master member

Postby jandjfrench » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:33 pm

To Mel,

The X,Y, and Z values can be easily changed but the question is how to modify the P, B, and H of the eyepoint; specifically the P.

If you know how to do this please let us know. It looks to me that your're restricted to looking straight forward along the longitudinal axis. As the original post mentioned if this were a Camera view there would be no problem.

Jim
jandjfrench
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Postby mel wilson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Having not dabbled with that section before, I cannot give any further advice, maybe there is someone on here that can shed some light on the problem, sorry.

Mel.

http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html
mel wilson

Re: FSX eyepoint question

Postby Radioman » Thu May 05, 2011 1:03 pm

Okay, I found an easy answer. I have some aircraft installed that have several camera views in the cockpit like first officer view, flight engineer view, jumpseat view, etc. When experimenting with Track IR I noticed that I can move these views around with Track IR just as easily as it moves the regular virtual cockpit view. Well frikkin DUH. Why not just create a camera view for Track IR in the captain's seat setting the xyz, pbh, and zoom where I want them and there ya go, a virtual cockpit so to speak that starts out with the view looking at the instrument panel the way I like it, with the top of the windshield at the top of the screen and all primary flight instruments visible including any used for IFR flight with the bottom of the screen cutting off just below the bottom row of instruments. Track IR is the reason I asked this question in the first place. I wanted to use it in virtual cockpit mode and be able to look around in different directions and have it immediately return to center on the panel as I described above when I moved my head back to center. Track IR has a null zone in the middle that will allow the view to remain centered and still allow a little normal head movement that occurs because I am a human and not a robot. In virtual cockpit view I had to actually tilt my head down a little to see all the instruments and this took the view out of the null zone so the panel became a little shaky. This movement was especially aggravating when doing an ILS approach when I had to keep a constant watch on localizer, glideslope, airspeeed, and vertical speed. With the camera view I created myself I can set the center view where I want it as described above so I can see out the windshield and still see all of the instruments. Yeah, I know I could have simply zoomed out quite a bit in the virtual cockpit until I saw all of the instruments, but at that point my zoom would be less than 40% of original size. At that zoom level instruments become hard to read even on my 24 inch monitor and details of the world outside become too small. The world outside also becomes distorted as if seen through a fisheye lens. 50% magnification is the absolute smallest I am willing to live with and I prefer 60% or more. By using my own custom camera view with Track IR I have eliminated all these problems.
Radioman

Re: FSX eyepoint question

Postby jandjfrench » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:48 pm

Hi,

Glad to hear you found a satisfying solution. Just for your information I came across information regarding the initial default view. In the [VIEWS] section of the Panel.cfg file "VIEW_FORWARD_DIR= P, B, H)" determines it. The default Cessna 172 always starts with the default view pitched down slightly. A check of the Panel.cfg shows a value of 8 for P. I've wondered about this for a long time.

Jim F.
jandjfrench
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Return to Flight Simulator X - FSX