HammerHawk W.I.P.

News, help, knowledge share. If you are developer or you want to be one, this is your place.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

HammerHawk W.I.P.

Post by harkonnen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:03 am

Model's done!
Okay, still have to clone and place two more repeller rings on the bottom of this futuristic fighter.

'HammerHawk' because with it's 3 twin sets of guns, it's a compact force to be reckoned with.

This is by far my favourite model to date, and I'm looking forward to coming up with new textures for the main body of the model. I have a few ideas I haven't tried yet, and some techniques to refine.

She's a beauty, I'll post a few teaser screenies as soon as I'm confident that she's ready to release.

(I'm excited, if this thing turns out like I'm hoping, it might just be good enough to submit some renders or screenies to some of the future art, mech, tech sort of design sites. I'm all about eye-candy and this thing looks farking awesome!) Not to blow my own horn, don't mean to be crass, I'm just really stoked about this design, wait 'till you see it and you'll see why...

rd
Forum Moderator - Master member

Re: HammerHawk W.I.P.

Post by rd » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:44 am

I'm liking the sounds of this one. Can't wait to see it.

RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:42 pm

ALL modelling = DONE
UV mapping and unwrapping in order to effectively place textures = Just started
Texture creation from scratch between Pixia, Photoshop & Paint = Half done
Animations for gear/wing gun assemblies = Not touched yet
Lights, contact points via .cfg = Not touched yet
Flight dynamics via .cfg = Not touched yet

All was good with the actual visual model, including a good gmax export and test in FS2004 - until -
I started 'smoothing' about 50 individual meshes that didn't export so well out of 'Anim8or' when porting into gmax. This must up the poly-count or something because MakeMDL choked and quit exporting the model after the smoothfest. Boy, I hate that. It peesses me off, but reminds me to quit adding detail around the 2.5 megabyte mark.
Had to do that awful ol' 'eliminate pieces, one by one 'til it exports properly' thang, and finally got a good export.
Now to make up with texture-fakes all the detail I had to delete.
Same old story, when will I ever learn? (When I've been beat over the head with it 800 times, apparently :lol: )

The whole shebang should still be the model I envisioned streaking around the heavens in FS, as long as I can do with textures, what I was trying to depict with actual bits & pieces.
Oh well, ups the texturing creation and implementation practice, which is always lacking.

Onwards - I hope to update soon - I want this one and my Hark Aerospace civilian/small cargo shuttle to actually make an appearance in cyberspace before Feb.
:roll:
QUIT ROLLING YOUR EYES_I SAW THAT!

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:37 pm

Wow, I'm having a blast with this one, but it's getting a little ridonkulous.
Probably 25 hours into creating textures from scratch but haven't laid one one to the model yet. Most of what I'm doing now is just getting colour swabs just right, doing a little composition, researching the most amazing weathering stuff and beginning base swabs and sub-textures towards that end.... and dreaming about what this thing will look like if I pull any of this crap off.
I'm getting caught up again modeling detail in Anim8or to screenshoot and use as flat 'fooled ya' textures, but it makes me happy.
I'm going to be after you guys this year about how and where to set up a decent free site that will make all this stuff available to aspiring sci-fi or aircraft 3D modelers. I want to feature the textures I've worked so hard on, so others can put them to use or get inspiration.

Back soon to show off some of the prelim work I'm yapping about.

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:09 pm

Just the beginning of 'Greeblefest 2011'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeble

rd

Post by rd » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:20 am

You KNOW I'm all about teaser shots. Yet, I digress. 8)

RD

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:40 am

Me too...I'm just slow and lazy. :twisted:

You should see the greebles I've been working on - got a bit carried away, and I'm not even sure if I can use all three of the shots I got from the works in gmax. Well, they'll always come in handy somewhere. I'll post 'em up once they're done.

rd

Post by rd » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:36 am

Oh yeah :twisted: , I'm gonna need to get that one, for sure. 8)

RD

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Been messing with prelim textures & finally have all the bits mapped and unwrapped in gmax.
Greeble images pretty well done. Tried a few things I've never done before with textures - so far so good, I'm just wondering how visible the results will be in-sim. We'll see.
Time to begin actually applying base textures, the weathering can be approached later in layers in Photoshop. Darn, haven't worked up any textures for the pilot or cockpit, sort of forgot about that.
Well, I'll deal with that later, just want textures on the gear and wing guns so I can get the animations out of the way. Coming along fine. Slow but steady.

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:35 pm

I worked up a few images in 'MS Paint' to consider adding as 'kills' to the side of my fighter in progress. Just under the side of the canopy, designating how many 'kills' the little starfighter had accomplished in it's battle career to date. I envision my starfighter as a 'capitol ship killer' (in tandem with the rest of the squadron of course - working together they destroy or disable the big baddie ship's crucial systems one by one with their advanced targeting, and various energy weapons.)
Unfortunately, when I reduced the images in 'Paint' in order to fit them onto my side panel bitmap, they lost all resolution and looked like crap. I'll have a look to see if 'Photoshop' will reduce them a little crisper, but I don't have my hopes up.
May use 'em anyway - we'll see how they look on the final bitmap.

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:05 pm

On the virtual bench....
In the process right now of animating this mess in gmax. Four pivot points to deal with, but so far so good. Mind you, haven't tested this in-sim yet. Textures are mostly okay for the gear, may mess with them a little more.

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:26 pm

I can't believe it. I animated the gear backwards.
How many times have I done this?
Hey, not a problem if you don't mind starting out with no gear and having it extend when you hit 'retract'.
Back to the drawing board.

And yeah, I hear you giggling over there.

rd

Post by rd » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:23 pm

Who... ME??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RD

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:01 pm

Ended up re-texturing the main gear, finally animated it properly. Silly time it of this time, getting the animations just so, again and again, just to find some part of the gear hit or looked like it went through the fuselage, outside the gearbay, or the friggin gear part would show up in the rear engine cavity during deployment or something. One thing after another with the rear gear. Had to actually move the engine exhaust assembly back a foot or so to hide gear bits showing up, as I finally ran out of wiggle room for messing with positions, angles and timing.
Then - I decide to do a double check of the front gear and where it's bits might protrude or otherwise be where they're not supposed to be seen and viola - a nice chunk of the front landing gear main strut passes through the pilots lap on it's way down & up. Of course it does... it was only three days and a sigh of relief when I thought I finally had the gear animations wrapped up, including gear doors.

I'll figure something out, but I'm pretty disgusted. You'd almost think that you're supposed to plan this stuff out and pay attention to all angles and details or something. #-o

It's gettin' good now though, just getting animations going and slapping on some textures is some momentum towards the fun of mixing up and laying down all the main body textures, that's going to be a hoot, I came up with so many dirt, dust, rust, streaks and soot textures for my 'greeble models as texture fake images', that altering them and mixing them into Photoshop layers will be endlessly effective for realistic weathering endeavors.

Once I get the gear out of this guy's lap.

Here's where all the greeble building ends up. If you want it just so, build it yourself and create your own textures.
EDIT: I've fixed the front gear problem, the pilot doesn't get disemballed now every time you lift the gear.

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:52 pm

Right on - finally all animations are done except the canopy, and that's a breeze. (Watch me do it backwards :roll: )
I was messing around between Photoshop, Paint and Pixia, and mostly accidentally came up with really cool textures for some damage to a side panel, and the guts underneath.
Well, I'm off to animate that canopy. Once the animations are done, it's time to quit waffling and see if I can actually use all these new texturing techniques to work up a believable, battle weary skin for this beast.

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:21 pm

Holee, got deep into creating textures over the weekend, and every spare minute. I'm coming up with some decent stuff, but boy it gets cumbersome and slow working stuff up in 3 different image editors. The ideas keep coming, and the ol' mouse is just a smokin', and I think I've got workable maps, we'll see when it comes time to paint for real, Almost there - good lord, my eyes are hurting.
This thing's going to be full of holes. Hope you don't mind flying around in a used, battle weary, last-legs piece of space junk. :mrgreen:
Last edited by harkonnen on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:39 pm

I wouldn't consider any else! LOL! :lol:
Bruce aka Jaeg-

Project Developer:
- Around The World Search / Madeleine McCann

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:27 pm

Wow, I keep thinking - "Alright, almost done working up bitmaps for this thing, then I find 6 things I've set aside for later work, then each of those things turns into 3 or 4 layers and a rework of each layer.
It's really fun, and I'm having great results (I think), but I've gotten a little nuts over these textures.
Think I'm going to have to settle for a 'good enough' kind of obsessive, and get back into gmax to see how they look on the fighter.
I'm passed the 150 hour mark on texture creation and manipulation now - if this thing looks like another child's toy once it's on the tarmac, I'm going to cry.

Alright - almost done the bitmaps for this thing....

(Jaeg - Have I got a hunk '0' space junk for you!)

Won't be long, just have to:

Finish textures and apply. :roll:
Add lights and effects and contact points.
Work up flight dynamics.
Test Test Test.
Package.
Release.

Crap, I've still got to finish logos and markings. Forgot about those- and I don't have pilot, panel or cockpit textures yet!!

rd

Post by rd » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:43 pm

Out of curiosity... will this be available in 2011 or 2012??? :mrgreen: :lol: :twisted:

RD

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:45 am

I'm shootin' for this year... :oops:

I'm getting a little anxious. Hope to see this thing really wrapping up soon. Once these maps are finalized, it's FUN time - seeing what they look like on the fighter, I have high hopes this time, no 'settling'.
It NEEDS to be in the skies... it NEEDS to be on your runway. :twisted:

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:56 pm

Still texturing. Went nuts last night finally applying weathering galore in Photoshop.
I'm limited in my Phoptoshop chops, I only know how to do certain things, but it seems to be going reasonably well. Trial and error basically, and being smart enough not to collapse the .PSD's into .BMP's, thinking that a certain texture looks great, then realizing the next day that my eyes were fried after 6 hours of image manipulation the day before and it all looks like crrrap!
Gettin' there though.
Got some cockpit textures that look semi-decent, haven't touched the pilot yet though - should be straight-forward enough work though.
I don't even have wing textures yet, or anything on the guns, nothing. I'll leave the guns & assemblies, and the wings for last, I'm sort of dreading it and looking forward to it at the same time. I'll be very happy if I can wrap up the main body textures with final detail, final weathering, and a few last-minute adjustments to the whole mess. It would be very satisfying to see the main body all done by the end of this weekend, with the remaining textures started at least.

I'll see if can find a decent W.I.P. teaser texture to post up, so you can at least see the direction I'm taking.

I've even got a little scene/story worked out in my head for when it's time to introduce this junk-heap to the public - looking forward to the fun-factor. :wink:

I'll work on having my new airborne aircraft carrier ready to go when this thing drops.
If I have my way, there will be a carrier scenario scenery set, and a rescue-type flying challenge for those that consider themselves talented simmers. Sci-fi fans will be in their glory with a beat-up fighter, a failing, damaged carrier and a desperate rescue mission all-in-one.
Yes folks, the fun never ends. ...Uh, nor does the work, gotta go make my eyes go funny again in Photoshop - bye for now....

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:25 pm

*Rubs eyes*

Slowly but surely gettin' there. Doesn't look like much, but this is one of about 10 maps for the main body. I'll probably beat it up some more, then comes matching them all up for consistency.
*Rolls bleary eyes*

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Thu May 05, 2011 11:47 am

Wow, still working on this thing. Busy having a life so it's slowed down lately, but I'm down to final texture tweaking - I thought this whole thing was getting silly with the hours put in and then realized that there were still monstrous hours left to go before she'd be ready, so I've stayed with it and I'm actually getting close to completion, bit by bit. Will update once I'm in teaser mode. :mrgreen:

rd

Post by rd » Thu May 05, 2011 2:57 pm

Will update once I'm in teaser mode.
You've been teasing me since you started on it. :lol: :D

RD

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Wed May 11, 2011 10:25 pm

I'll have to post a few glimpses of this thing soon then, I'm getting close to the lights/points/flight dynamics/packaging part of the project, the textures are finally done 'cept for a few tweaks. Took care of a few misaligned images and minor mistakes today and I'm on top of the few niggling model fixes. Just created a folder called 'final revisions' for those last 7 or 8 maps that need a last touch.
Always fun when it's [LIGHTS] time - same ol' challenge to light it like I want it with the 19 effects spots allowed in the aircraft .cfg file.
@ RD; Speaking of effects, I've got a shuttle on the go that makes awesome use of 8 (yup - that's eight :twisted: ) 'batburner' effects, but this Hammerhawk deserves it's own afterburners, one per side. Those afterburner effects you made for the F-18 were pretty farking awesome - would you consider letting me try them on this starfighter?
I'll post a shot of the shuttle's reheat light show for fun in the next little while in the meantime, and also find a Hammerhawk teaser shot or two that doesn't give it all away. :wink: :mrgreen:

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Thu May 12, 2011 3:07 am

Here's some shots of my shuttle with mucho flamo via RD's 'batburners'. Will post some teasers of the Hammerhawk as well in a bit... :mrgreen:

rd

Post by rd » Thu May 12, 2011 4:19 am

I want that shuttle, as is, no questions. :twisted: That is a thing of beauty. =D> Those 'Batburner's look absolutely awesome on it. Love the way it cones out at the rear. That isn't nuclear power boys and girls, that's what Terra-Aksarbenium crystals will do.

I didn't make any F-18 burners. :twisted: #-o But I did make the most glorious, realistic F-14 Afterburners ever made for FS. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: You can use them however you wish for your new toy. :D

RD

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Thu May 12, 2011 1:43 pm

As usual, my flawless memory and fighter jet savvy has me calling an F-14 Tomcat an F-18.
Yup, I was hoping for permission to try your F-14 reheat on the Hammerhawk, thanks bud - she's worthy.
As for the shuttle, there's really just some folder cleanup and packaging to do on 'er, I'll fit it in shortly and get it out there. You should see the way eight afterburners kick in when you first max the throttle, screenshots don't do the staggered light-em-up effect justice at all.

And a few detail shots of the Hammerhawk...

rd

Post by rd » Thu May 12, 2011 2:47 pm

lol... I'm liking the 'Kill' scores on the side. Can't wait to see this one as well. :)

RD

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:24 pm

Harky,

This thing is almost too cool to let live! :lol:

You never cease to amaze me with these Sci-Fi creations of yours! Another aspect that I really enjoy is your bantering with RD on propulsion systems powered by liquified, anti-magnetic super crystal dust.

Ha! What a kick! :lol:

I don't know what your final release plans are, but I think it would be the cats a$$ to see a fictional (Kneeboard) Reference Page, including some techno screenshots of various system components, and a host of fictional gobbledygook :?:

My appreciative 2-cents.
Bruce aka Jaeg-

Project Developer:
- Around The World Search / Madeleine McCann