HammerHawk W.I.P.

News, help, knowledge share. If you are developer or you want to be one, this is your place.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

rd
Forum Moderator - Master member

Re: HammerHawk W.I.P.

Post by rd » Fri May 13, 2011 4:40 am

?-Liquified-Dust-?

Hmmm........ be back in a couple weeks. 8-O :-#

RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Mon May 16, 2011 4:33 pm

RD - no dust for you - stick with the JD and ice cream for instant gratification, we need you sharp. :lol: :wink:

Jaeg, good idea, I'll try to get extra creative with the packaging and representation. Maybe it'll lend a little authenticity to kind of label and illustrate the drive and weapons system. Still plugging away on the last details paint and model wise, will update soon.

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Wed May 18, 2011 2:21 am

Spent a few more nights noodling around and really only managed to beat this thing up a bit more - got a few more rips and tears and blasts onto 'er. Poor ol' thing, full of holes and scorched skin. :twisted: :twisted:

I'm liking the way most everything looks, it looks pretty real on the runway and zooming around the skies, finally, something that doesn't look so much like a toy. It's all coming together pretty nicely. It's a little strange when I look at this one with a pleased eye and realize it's taken me 5 years of fairly intense hobbying to get something I'm really happy with overall, model and paint-wise.

rd

Post by rd » Wed May 18, 2011 4:21 am

Don't knock yourself too hard. The Maelstrom and WASPV are great models, and fun to fly. Which reminds me. I need to redo the WASPV video I had when my old PC took a dump. That was an awesome video, that all of you would have enjoyed.

RD

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Wed May 18, 2011 1:27 pm

I'd love to see some WASP video. I had a laugh at the one where you came off of flaps too fast during a vertical take off and bounced it off the runway with all the sparks. =D> 8) :lol:

I want to make one with the WASP once I've got a decent PC, I've got the music picked out and it's storyboarded in my head. If I put a fast enough PC together I'll make some fun video for sure. (I think I have some tax refund $$ coming, need a stratocaster and a screamer budget FS rig. :twisted: :twisted: )

Here's the Hammerhawk, my compact ship-killer just out of 'Anim8or'. This was screenshot months ago, and I've deleted a few physical details in order to get her exporting out of gmax, but this gives you a solid side view of the design.

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Wed May 18, 2011 5:02 pm

Good luck Hark, this monster looks awsome. :roll:

Mel.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

rd

Post by rd » Wed May 18, 2011 5:41 pm

Me likely. :D =D> =P~

RD

harkgoddammit
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Post by harkgoddammit » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:16 am

Alrighty then, I'm back to louse up the developer's section with the same level of innovation/buffoonery that you have become accustomed to. Got my own internet connection, a half-decent budget PC and a hankering to actually finish and release something. I know, why break tradition now, I'm famous for yapping endlessly and showing off and then......nothing but teaser screenies, lol.
This one's very near and dear to my heart, and was so close to release it was scary, then I changed PC's, re-installed gmax, and discovered that all my models had been DRASTICALLY re-scaled, and many of my perfectly mapped skins had lost their dimensions and been tiled ridiculously. I'm guessing I was building before with goofy 'unit of measurement' settings, then making up for the error by re-scaling my models. Now with a virgin install, gmax has goofed
up all my goofed up models, and the fix is tedious - like re-doing most of the mapping and unwrapping work. AAAARGH! (oh yeah, I forgot completely, my lovely landing gear animation was FUBARed as well when I fired up the new gmax for the first time. Dealt with that a few weeks ago! That was my biggest fear, that I couldn't reproduce the nice gear movements and placement.)
Anyway, got started again the other day. (Read: did some tests and realized how screwed I was. #-o )
This one has to get done though, and as it comes together (again) I'll keep ya posted. Very much looking forward to placing lights and effects, I just wish there were more lines in the .cfg file for them, 19 is not enough.
Last edited by harkgoddammit on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

rd

Post by rd » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Just read through the whole thread to catch up. Funny thing.... "Will this be available in 2011 or 2012"...... Luv ya Hark!! :twisted: :D :twisted:

Anywho... Still want the shuttle and this baby when you get the time. 8)

RD
RD

harkgoddammit

Post by harkgoddammit » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:30 am

Well, I've been sort of putting off the re-mapping work I needed to do to get this thing back to square one texture-wise, but I dove into it a few days ago and have been attacking it bit by bit all weekend and I'm really happy to say that except for a few small niggles, the reworking is done. I've got the gmax scene open now, & I'm going to finalize these last few textures, then on to setting points and then lights and effects. This is one of my favourite parts, & I've been looking forward to lighting this baby for over a year now. Almost there, just wanted to pop on here and gush about how much fun I'm having now that I'm back into the fray with this model. I've already been tempted to 'just add a few more paint chips to the wings', but I've fought it off - honestly, I've already gone 'obsessive' on the textures in the past and don't want to get bogged down again in ultra detail & weathering. 'Kay, now I'm just rambling & I could be fiddling - gotta go...

harkgoddammit

Post by harkgoddammit » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:14 pm

Four pots of coffee last nite and stayed up late - I may have the last export out of gmax done, or at least second to last. Tweaked a few textures to look a little more solid (I had to, just had to... :twisted: ) Fixed a few things, screwed up a few perfectly good things and had to fix them. Gmax co-operated most times & sometimes it just laughed and laughed... I may still have the keyboard imprint on my forehead.
Gotta go back to work, on break now (I live literally across the street from work - how cool is that?), but back at 'er tonight.

harkgoddammit

Post by harkgoddammit » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:52 pm

Exciting eh? oooooh ahhhhh :lol: :mrgreen:

harkgoddammit

Post by harkgoddammit » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:37 pm

WE'LL SELL YOU THE SEAT BUT YOU'LL ONLY NEED THE EDGE EDGE EDGE....

rd

Post by rd » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:19 pm

Looking forward to teaser pics of the textures and lights. You know me, I likey teasers. hehe

RD
RD

harkgoddammit

Post by harkgoddammit » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:18 am

Well, the weekend's here now bud, so if I keep at it, I may just have 'er done & booted. It was that close to being done done when my reformat months ago screwed up my gmax scene, creating the need for all this rework.

harkgoddammit

Post by harkgoddammit » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:08 am

Points are set. A little weirdness with the gear points, some tweaking may be needed. Onto lights this evening & come back to figure out gear points after. :D

johnman

Post by johnman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:21 pm

Hey Hark ,

Let me join the thread - New on the form - met you on the other side - Nav lites and beacons !

Been reading through the thread and I am looking forward to the fruits of Your weekends work !!Where can I find some of Your other stuff ??

Seeing how busy You are I am amazed and really appreciate The details You sent me on the lites !!

Rock On Todoshi

Johnman

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:44 pm

:wink: :D Another satisfied customer Hark =D>

Mel.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

rd

Post by rd » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:00 pm

*beep*, where's that gif of a money playing air guitar.

Rock On, Hark. :twisted:

RD
RD

harkgoddammit

Post by harkgoddammit » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:26 am

Don't have to play air guitar - bought a strat with my tax return. :P Lol.

As a texture artist, you're going to get off on this one bud, you'll see.... you'll think I'm either crazy or have too much time on my hands. :wink:
I am having a ton of fun again. Realizing now how much I miss developing when I get away from it for a period of months.

EDIT:
Hiya Johnman :mrgreen: . I'll point you to a few downloads after work... :wink: ..thanks for the interest.

johnman

Post by johnman » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:51 am

Hey Hark,

Posted a Splurb on your need a mentor thread - if you still need mentor ??

Johnman :=}

harkgoddammit

Post by harkgoddammit » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:00 pm

Hey RD, remember the bit of fun we had years ago getting the alpha channel working properly for transparency on the approach/landing lights you painted?
Guess what, the technique works on aircraft as well as scenery. :mrgreen: 8O

johnman

Post by johnman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:51 pm

Hey Hark,

Just sent an apology to coa – for miss using his thread – due to My miss reading the threads – I had He and You confused ?? – I think I have my six inch world of confusion straightened out and Ill use HammerHawk WIP to contact You !!

There has been a strange Black Flying object noticed in the skys over Knox county ohio – some say it looks like a Shark ?? The anticipation of more of these objects is building !!

Tap Tap Tap

Johnman

harkgoddammit

Post by harkgoddammit » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:47 pm

Right on bud - If you like the 'fantasy' stuff at all, I've got some doozies in the works; a flying Copcar (just need to kill the mipmapping with DXTBMP & add RD's burners to this baby too! :wink: ), a flying boat inspired by 'Stardust' the movie, a pretty decent future space shuttle, a large armed transport cruiser, ummm, believe it or not I made a list of the release-worthy stuff a few weeks back and can't recall the few more projects that are almost ready. I'm also working on two city sceneries; one is going to be a bunch of ruined buildings so you can fly over a war zone and maybe rescue some folks or kick some ass, and the other is a futuristic city spire thang that will be a landing pad heaven for those that like to play VTOL. I will definitely give a head's up here when it's release time, it's tempting to finish the three or four things that are so close and release 'em all at once, we'll see. Gettin' close though!! I am excited, this is going to be FUN!
Glad you enjoyed the 'Shark, don't sweat the member mix up, & thanks again for the kind words and the interest in my crazy FS stuff. :wink:

johnman

Post by johnman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:33 am

Hey Hark,

We know You are out flying HammerHawk - Come back and release it - So We can fly it Too !!

Johnman

harkgoddammit

Post by harkgoddammit » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:33 am

:mrgreen: Wrote up the description for it last night, as will appear in the 'Select Aircraft' window;

ON XXXXXX.XX, XXXX, HARK AEROSPACE WAS CHARGED WITH MANUFACTURING A FLEET OF SMALL BUT DEADLY STARFIGHTERS FOR THE TERRA 1 AIR FORCE. (EARTH'S MULTI-NATIONAL FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE CONSISTS OF AIR-CARRIER BASED FLEETS OF FIGHTERS, VARIOUS CAPITOL SHIPS AND A MULTITUDE OF CRUISERS AND GUNSHIPS.)
THE HAMMERHAWK WAS BORN. TWO HA-16 QUAD-RING FUSIAL ENGINES MAKE HER THE FASTEST STARFIGHTER YET, THE TWIN HEAVY-HITTING PULSE GUNS, TWIN PINPOINT BLAST-THROUGH GUNS AND THE TWIN NUCLEAR POWERED DIMP (DIRECTED ELECTROMAGNETIC PULSE) WING GUNS MAKE HER A FORMIDABLE SINGLE FIGHTER OR A LIGHTNING FAST SHIP KILLER WHEN SQUADRONED. VTOL CAPABILITY IS STANDARD, FEATURING OPEN-STYLE GRAVGO LIFTERS IN THE UNDERCARRIAGE. BODY ARMOURING LEAVES A LITTLE TO BE DESIRED (WEIGHT CONSIDERATIONS WHILE IN ATMOSPHERIC FLIGHT), BUT THE SIDE WINGS ARE MOSTLY CHAMBERED UNOBTAINIUM, PROVIDING IMPERVIOUS PROTECTION IN THAT RESPECT. THIS PARTICULAR UNIT HAS ONLY BEEN GROUNDED LATELY FOR LONG ENOUGH TO REPLACE DAMAGED BODY PANELS AND OTHER WORN-OUT PARTS AND THEN BACK TO THE SKIES - IT'S HELL OUT THERE....

(Thanks again for the interest, this is fun sh*t! :mrgreen: It's comin' - I can smell it.... 8O )

rd

Post by rd » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:10 pm

Those textures are freaking sweet. Hopefully I can add my touch to it, ya know, USMC style. :twisted:

RD
RD

johnman

Post by johnman » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:55 am

Hey Hark,

Unobtainium - Really ? - How did they Obtain that - I've had it on order for years - Unable to obtain it - You must really have something great going !!

Good luck on Lift Off !!

Johnman

harkgoddammit

Post by harkgoddammit » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:32 am

Hey Johnman, Hark Aerospace's reach and influence is far and wide, we can get anything. Aww, shucks, okay, we got it on Ebay. :oops:

RD, I wasn't sure if I managed to keep any of the pertinent maps in uncollapsed .PSD files or not, couldn't seem to find the ones for the side panels lately so I went looking on my drive after your post. So far, luckily, I do have the complete 15 layer photoshop files for the upper wing outsides, so you could certainly repaint those to your heart's content and still have all the weathering fall over the paint job. Will look for the others once I have some time here, I did backup all my junk on disk before the reformat, just a matter of whether I saved uncollapsed .PSD work or not.
Lol, and by 15 layers I mean a certain tinge to the wings would be one layer, each blast mark or scorch might each be a layer, you know how it gets. :roll: :twisted:

rd

Post by rd » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:55 pm

I can work with the layers just fine. It's how you laid them out that kills me sometimes. :twisted:

And yeah, painting in layers is fun.... NOT. But, it is. I've got like 6 psd layers for weathering for just the F-14 Tomcat. This is AFTER, I meshed them into easier ones to work with visibly. Great times, long hours, hair missing. You know what I mean. :roll: :D

RD
RD