HammerHawk W.I.P.

News, help, knowledge share. If you are developer or you want to be one, this is your place.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

johnman
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Re: HammerHawk W.I.P.

Post by johnman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:12 am

Hey Hark,

Being The Best person that I can think of to ask :^o :^o - flying the HammerHawk - I find that I need a Tut on Vtol flying #-o :? 8O - I can make it take off - and go in the air - even with full flaps and full throttle - Hammer still wants to just lumber down the runway :roll: - Do I need to set my sensetivitys - or realism or both ?? :? :?

I mean I watch Your video - and That thing just LEAPS off the ground ?? 8O 8O

Oh GREAT and WONDERFULL TODOSHI - HOW CAN LIKE DAT ?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?: :oops:

Johnman

harkgoddammit

Post by harkgoddammit » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:16 am

Hiya Johnman, Are you saying she won't lift off for you? Sounds funny to me, as far as I know, full flaps & full-on throttle should have that gear lifting off in a matter of a few metres. Maybe check out the joystick sensitivities to make sure your throttle is actually getting to max. Realism settings shouldn't matter.
Also, make sure you are at FULL flaps, not just 40 on the panel - there's several flaps positions still to go when extending flaps when you see 40, there's actually eight increments for flaps on this thing, even though there's really only 4 increments of extension or retraction on the gauge. Hope you're confused now. :lol: - Just do the F8 thing before you go to lift off.

Are you pulling back on the joystick, it does help if you point 'er into the sky. Aircraft act differently as you ascend into thinner air, so don't be surprised if she's a lot harder to get airborne if you're jumping off a higher up air-carrier or something.

Maybe a joystick calibration (FS settings), watching that the throttle is hitting the top of that throttle slider display.

Other than that sort of thing, I'm stumped. Full throttle and full flaps should have you lifting off before you wreck your backyard fence.
We'll figure it out somehow.

Oh yeah, watch that you don't have a bunch of excess cargo aboard or stuff like that too.

RD, any thoughts?

johnman

Post by johnman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:49 pm

Hey Hark,

Thanks for the Reply !! :D - Wow What a difference !! #-o - I have just installed a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joy Stick - Set up all Sensetivities - and Realism - To Suit - in FS9 - and still was not really happy with the results :cry: - It was much better than the Old Ms Sidewinder 3D Pro - ( Analog #-o ) - After reading Your reply - I got to snooping around and found a Logicech Profiler Icon ?? :roll: - and Loandbeheld - Sensitivity settings contained within - after a Quick Slide all the way to the Right with all Buttons - A major difference in performance !! 8O 8O

Now HammerHawk Jumps off the runnway - Much better - but after the first leap - it seems to Slump - does not seem keep going after the initial surge - as opposed to not Jumping at all ?? :? :?

This I will assume is Technique - and I will Keep working on it :) any input from any source is much appreciated - I don't seem to be able to find much - if any info an VTOL techniques ? Really need to get this worked out - I've got the Dusk Patrol Tonight =D> =D>

Johnman

Do You - All - think that - since we Seem to be promoting an outstanding VTOL Defender - That we might should open a thread on VTOl Flying and things ?? :? :?

Add Note : :| :| My Helicopter Flying has improved muchly - since the recent addons and additions - Not ready to certify yet - But showing improvement !! =D> #-o :lol:

harkgoddammit

Post by harkgoddammit » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:30 am

Hey Johnman. Glad you got somewhere with this. I have so many hours now flying these contraptions around in the simulator - thing is, with my creations, and other sci-fi themed aircraft, it's all just smoke and mirrors as far as aerodynamics are concerned. The dimensions, and most subsequent parameters and tendencies of the aircraft portrayed visually in the sim are night and day compared to the stuff in the .AIR & AIRCRAFT.CFG file. I could make a piano and simulate VTOL flight with it. Glad you're doing well with the heli's, but it's just practicing fantasy flying when jumping around in my stuff. That original file I got from RD for VTOL dynamics is so bastardized by now I don't really know what the hell I'm doing.

Anyhoo, makes for good discussion still on the methods of getting my stuff, like the Hammerhawk in the air smoothly, so here goes.

Throttle at minimum, FULL flaps. Finger on the brakes. Throttle goes to full, pulling back on the stick. You're lifting off from the tarmac AND you're pointing her into the sky somewhat. If she is at full flaps and floating along after liftoff, if you keep the throttle FULL, she'll go where you point her, including ascending in the direction the nose is pointed - keep her level and she'll basically scoot along parallel to the ground. A little nose up pitch will bring a bit of a VTOL climb. If you are well off the ground at this point, go ahead and nail 'F5' and your flaps will retract totally and you will be thrusting forward only. This is where your angle of attack is important. Have her nose up a little and full throttle and trim up somewhat as you scoot off. Trimming up right away will keep her from pointing toward the hard deck as you accelerate (I hate holding the stick back to keep from plowing into the ground - this is SCI-FI, not friggin' ground school, lol.), and now, if you haven't plummeted to the runway 'cause you were too low before losing flaps, off you go in any direction you please.
It's mostly for fun and eye candy with my stuff, but there's a lot of skill development and real world fun to be had with Harriers and heli's too, eh? Keep on keepin' on, and as those hours add up, I'll be *beep* at you for messing with my BBQ mojo by dropping space fighters into my backyard!
Speaking of helicopters, if I get enough decent scenery stuff done properly with landing surfaces everywhere, I may consider doing some uploading at HoverControl - those heli pilots are always looking for something new to challenge them. :) Talk soon....

EDIT: Hey, I just bought the same joystick a week ago. It's not a bad stick, eh? :mrgreen:

Hey, is anyone else having issues changing the font colour for a word? I couldn't make the word 'EDIT' red for some reason. :?:

RED RD :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen:

mel wilson
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by mel wilson » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:05 am

Everything seems to be working ok bud Except colour

Mel.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

rd

Post by rd » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:04 pm

lmao.............

BTW... Harky... I still have my original VTOL file. So if you ever need it, let me know. :wink:

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

johnman

Post by johnman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:42 am

Hey Hark,

Sorry I havn't posted a reply yet - Had a pretty rough week - with a death in the family - so We have been pretty buisy.

I guess i kinda thought that HammerHawk would like jump off the ground - into a Hover - then Tranasition into Flight - like a Herd of Turtles - been hanging around with them Helicopter guys too much :oops: :lol:

Yes - that Logitech JoyStick is Great - and sensitive - Now I can almost Hover a Helicopter - for more than a second or so :lol: :lol: - I did get my Student Pilots licence - 100% on the test - Not that I wasn't a Helicopter Mech for 10 years :wink: :D

If I drop a Space Fighter - into Your - Beep - Backyard Bar B Q - Is that where You Entertain those Hark AeroSpace Ambassadoretts ??? =D> #-o :mrgreen: - is that usually on a Friday ??? :P :P

Its been quiet around here lately ?? Good to be back :D

Johnman

rd

Post by rd » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:56 am

My sincere condolences for your loss Johnman, prayers to you, family and friends.

Yeah, it has been slow for awhile now. I'm not even getting hits or comments on the F4 paints I'm doing. That's cool though. When I'm done, I'll make another awesome video of all 3 of them with the new afterburners and .air files. Could be interesting.... lmao.

If you are on Facebook, Like SurClaro. You'll see what is going on, and see some great screenshots, as well.

RD
RD

johnman

Post by johnman » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:29 am

Hey RD ,

Thanks for Your concern - We are going to need all the Help we can get to get around this one !! Thanks again !!!!

Have Picked up on Your RePaints post - and will join the discussion over there - Perk up the MoFlow - Hopefully Spark some interest !!! :D :D :^o

CYA over there

Johnman

harkgoddammit

Post by harkgoddammit » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:09 pm

Been away for a month - sorry to hear of your loss Johnman, much strength to you and yours.

Hey, a buddy had a birthday a few weeks back and I managed to put this flightsim vid together. First real attempt at editing with Movie Maker. A little choppy here and there but the overall effect is there. Zoom zoom...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soChehsO ... el&list=UL

johnman

Post by johnman » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:40 am

Hey Hark,

Just got back from YOUR Tube :D

Awsome video - I've had a lot of fun with MovieMaker - Making Vid's for a Buddy !

HOW did You get the Hammer Hawk into That Landing Bay 8O I got the bike up in there - but nothing as big as HammerHawk #-o - The Music Makes the video Rock !! :D :D

Yes WE had a bit of a rocky streach - Lost Our 42 Year old Daughter - Thanks for Your concerne - WE miss Her !

Good to see You back !! :lol: :lol:

Johnman

harkgoddammit

Post by harkgoddammit » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:36 am

Bud you have no idea how many hours I've put in flying virtual VTOL.That Hammerhawk is something you've downloaded and played with - it's something I've flown right from the time the gear didn't match up with the runway, like 500 hours ago. (...or something like that - more hours than someone with a life... oh forget it...lol!) :mrgreen: Try it with a little headwind for some real fun - you get to go backwards for 10 minutes trying to put 'er down on a pad... and look really silly! =D> :lol: 8)
Glad you enjoyed the video, I've found that they're a ton -o- fun to make.

rd

Post by rd » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:13 am

Didn't realize I could fly into it...... Now, I do. :evil: :twisted:

Cool vid Harky, loved the transitions. Need to check it out when I'm done painting. See if I can get the WASP in there as easily. haha :)

RD

RD

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:11 am

Have to say the vid was very good, another budding movie maker emerges from the wings, Spielburg watch out.

Mel.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

harkgoddammit

Post by harkgoddammit » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:16 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words. Seems the more fun you have doing this stuff the better it turns out. As if I needed something else to eat up hours and hours of my time, lol.

@ RD... hey Bud, I get a little carried away when all excited about releasing stuff when it comes to upload time, videos included. Went back in & credited you for your integral contribution. The Hammerhawk isn't the Hammerhawk without sci-fi purple super-hot rings-o-plasma fire shooting out the exhaust ports. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: