upgrading a graphic card or CPU?

Comment, recommend, complain anything for 3D Video Cards.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, ricktobin, Insured Disaster, gbesoain, Cat1

isaga
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

upgrading a graphic card or CPU?

Post by isaga » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:39 pm

Hello everyone,
my doubt was that I wanted to run FSX with the terrain mesh to very dense and also to have an overall better graphics.
My current specs are:
Intel core 2 Duo E6750 2.66Ghz
2 GB RAM 667MHZ DDR2
Gigabyte g33m-S2 MOTHERBOARD
nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256MB
WINDOWS xp professional
250gb of HD 200GB free space
monitor,screen I think doesnt have importance.....
FSX NO ADDONS
And so, I thought of putting a new CPU,(Intel Quad Core Q6700) Or is it better to change my graphic card to an nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 768 MB.
Or should I overclock?........

groundsquirrel
Forum Moderator - Master member
Forum Moderator - Master member

the machine...

Post by groundsquirrel » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:55 pm

The machine is capable enough, but a video card upgrade may be in order to run FSX acceptably well. The current configuration is more than enough for Fs9 though.
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

GDI
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Re: upgrading a graphic card or CPU?

Post by GDI » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:21 pm

isaga wrote:Hello everyone,
my doubt was that I wanted to run FSX with the terrain mesh to very dense and also to have an overall better graphics.
My current specs are:
Intel core 2 Duo E6750 2.66Ghz
2 GB RAM 667MHZ DDR2
Gigabyte g33m-S2 MOTHERBOARD
nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256MB
WINDOWS xp professional
250gb of HD 200GB free space
monitor,screen I think doesnt have importance.....
FSX NO ADDONS
And so, I thought of putting a new CPU,(Intel Quad Core Q6700) Or is it better to change my graphic card to an nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 768 MB.
Or should I overclock?........
It's interesting-- FSX actually really doesn't use quad-core processors to the full- it's kinda doesn't even use dual-core processors the way it should!! I can't remember from where I heard it, but I definitely remember hearing it- that FSX only really uses the full of dual-core processors when it's loading the textures and scenery. Besides then, it actually mainly uses the first core.

If anyone's ever used PC Wizard, which gives you a real-time measure of the usage of the CPU core (whether single or dual), the statement made above was verified. For the most part, the second core is used mainly to run the background applications that Windows runs, or for the moments when FSX needs to reload any of the scenery- for whatever reason.

I would personally go with the video card myself- just because of the extra GDDR3 memory that's located on it. The almost 3X faster GPU speed doesn't hurt either, though. Save for the quad-core later: when more programs can take advantage of it.
System specs-

HP 30C5 board
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.5 GHz
2 GB DDR2 RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX 570M