My video card good enough?

Comment, recommend, complain anything for 3D Video Cards.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, Insured Disaster

mcconnell_14
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

My video card good enough?

Post by mcconnell_14 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:18 am

ok i've been playing FS2004 for about a month (still troulbe landing)

any its a Nividia GeForce2 MX 100/200.0

(sorry dont know much about computer hardware

im asking because the game skips and sounds go skippy at times (especilly on landing)

but if more info is needed then ill find it out.

ps..im new here!

pilot_alex_14
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Post by pilot_alex_14 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:14 pm

Its a majorly outdated card you need a new 1 and it might be ram 2, right click on my computer icon and click properties post system info here

viche12345
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by viche12345 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:19 am

What are you system specs?

And yes, that card is soooooo obsolete. I'm surprised that card still functions today.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

mcconnell_14
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by mcconnell_14 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:50 pm

MY computer INformation:

Window XP professional

Intel (R)

Pentium (R) 4 CPU 1700MHz
1.71 GHz 256MB of RAM

hope this helps

121a
SurClaro senior forum member
SurClaro senior forum member

Post by 121a » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:01 am

well, that card is really old. 256mb of RAM is not a whole lot either. How old is this computer and who is the maufacturer? Ram, proccessor, and graphics card are contributing factors to your problem. Turn down your settings in the game, usually traffic and weather are the frame rate killers. Also get a program called SmartClose, it is free and will close all not needed tasks that the computer is running even though you can't see them. Also if you were thinking about getting a computer wait, the new Windows Vista, along with directX 10 incorperated systems should be here around April or May.(give or take a month)
Specs
Raidmax Smilodon Green Case
Sythe Kama Cross cooler
Intel Q6600 Quad Core @3.2ghz
8gb Corsair Dual Channel DDR2 800
Zotac 9800GTX OC'ed
250gb WD sata 3gb/s
650w Corsair PSU
FS9 on high-40 (locked) fps 35-40fps at high traffic airports
FSX high-low 30 (locked) fps 20fps at deserted airports

pilot_alex_14

Post by pilot_alex_14 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:09 am

Ye ram is major drag!!!! I suggest get at least a 1gb stick its around 39.99 and upgrade it the card itslef is not 2 great but if you upgrade ram you can run it good

viche12345
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by viche12345 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:28 am

Well...price really depends on the type of RAM. There is a big difference in price and performance between PC133 and PC3200 RAM. Yet there is a HUGE difference between DDR and DDR2 RAM.

So...I don't know what RAM is begin referred to.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

mcconnell_14
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by mcconnell_14 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:05 am

121a wrote:well, that card is really old. 256mb of RAM is not a whole lot either. How old is this computer and who is the maufacturer? Ram, proccessor, and graphics card are contributing factors to your problem. Turn down your settings in the game, usually traffic and weather are the frame rate killers. Also get a program called SmartClose, it is free and will close all not needed tasks that the computer is running even though you can't see them. Also if you were thinking about getting a computer wait, the new Windows Vista, along with directX 10 incorperated systems should be here around April or May.(give or take a month)
my mom said the new windows vista is horrible..she heard that it is loaded with alot of bugs..so thats out.(but has anyone one else heard about any problems with it?

i have a another question

if i was to upgrade, can you computer "geeks" (haha j/k) give me some specs that would be a good-excellent computer? i use the computer not only for gaming but for downloading music(alot), msn, internet, etc.

im not loooking at spendind an amazing about of money. I want good enough specs to play games with amazing detail (with fs04 on almost the highest settings without skipping, and stuff like that)

edit: not sure about the manufactuerer. its says Altech signa PC on the big processer thing (not sure if i have the proper name...the thing were you put your cd's and stuff)

and on the Monitor it says "TTX"
the computer is about 4 years old

thanks..Al

rd
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by rd » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:10 am

Not to disrespect your mother, but VISTA is not out yet, so she cannot make a serious statement concerning it. Only the Beta version is out, and it WILL and does have bugs. So untill you have the released version, it is better to say nothing than to look........!!

As for your system, it depends. Do you know how to build one??? If so, then expect to spend about $1,000 for a very decent system from the ground up. And that is making it available for future upgrades.

If not, or you don't know anybody that can, then your stuck with buying a system built to your wants and desires. Or buy a prebuilt. Either way, your looking at close to $2,000 plus for one. ( and this considering a "gamers" must have style system ).

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

skipperdan

Post by skipperdan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:12 pm

Check out this link. I have never dealt with this company. Therefore, I can not tell you if they are good or bad. However, one of the contributors to Computer Pilot (my favorite magazine) wrote an excellent article in the November issue documenting what he thought are good requirements for a FSX machine.

I will provide my usual word of caution. The word on the street is not to run out to the bank or Daddy's bedroom to get money for a new computer until Vista and DX10 are out on the market and evaluated. A different contributor to Computer Pilot magazine (Navman) confers with these recommendations in the December issue.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

PS: We have a beta version of Vista in our computer lab. These guys have been advising me to consider at least 2GB of RAM. RD made a very wise statement above when he stated that there is only a Beta version available and they are working to remove the bugs. As a Beta Team tester for FSX, I saw a lot of bugs and most of these bugs were removed before the final version was release. 8) 8)
I AM NOT A PILOT. I JUST LOVE AVIATION.

CAPTAIN--CIVIL AIR PATROL
...Emergency Services Training Officer
...Instructor at the Florida Wing Conference 2012.
...Mission Observer (front right seat)
...Air Operations Branch Director
...Flew several times in a Cessna 182 with G1000 (maintaining the MFD).
...Attended two day class conducted by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center
...Completed training for Flight Line Marshall, Flight Release Officer, and Mission Radio Operator.

You should visit your local Civil Air Patrol Squadron and complete an application for membership.
Please watch this video that my son made of a Discovery Flight from Albert Whitted Airport (my home base). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EMUg1jiCss
Please check out scenery that I helped develop for Albert Whitted Airport http://www.surclaro.com/download.php?query=KSPG&op=search&cid=
Check out this article in Air and Space Magazine concerning Albert Whitted Airport:
http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/The-Airport-That-Wouldnt-Die.html

mcconnell_14
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by mcconnell_14 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:18 pm

we payed about 2400 bucks on this machine now. We are probably not gonna be ordering a computer (especilly from CA when in live in canada) but those computer are off the wall!! they look futuristic.

I doubt a "new" one is in the future just an upgrade of this one.

im just asking what specs i "need" for a gaming computer.

my mom wont buy me fspassengers untill we get an upgrade :(

skipperdan

Post by skipperdan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:40 pm

I provided you with a link to Cyberpower so that you could check out the specifications listed for their "Gaming Computers". I realize that you were not planning to buy a new computer. This link will give you an idea of various configurations that they list for "Gaming Computers". My suggestion is for you to click on the box for "Custom Build Desktop Configuration" or "Configurators" and proceed from there by answering the various questions or by checking on the various hardware options to get a feel for the differences in the prices. 8) 8)
I AM NOT A PILOT. I JUST LOVE AVIATION.

CAPTAIN--CIVIL AIR PATROL
...Emergency Services Training Officer
...Instructor at the Florida Wing Conference 2012.
...Mission Observer (front right seat)
...Air Operations Branch Director
...Flew several times in a Cessna 182 with G1000 (maintaining the MFD).
...Attended two day class conducted by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center
...Completed training for Flight Line Marshall, Flight Release Officer, and Mission Radio Operator.

You should visit your local Civil Air Patrol Squadron and complete an application for membership.
Please watch this video that my son made of a Discovery Flight from Albert Whitted Airport (my home base). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EMUg1jiCss
Please check out scenery that I helped develop for Albert Whitted Airport http://www.surclaro.com/download.php?query=KSPG&op=search&cid=
Check out this article in Air and Space Magazine concerning Albert Whitted Airport:
http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/The-Airport-That-Wouldnt-Die.html

rd

Post by rd » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:14 pm

http://www.alienware.com/promotion_page ... ktops.aspx

This is another site that caters to the gamers. You can use the information on the hardware as a source of reference as to what they use for their systems, and compare them to ones such as the one by Skipper.

Find a common bond between system hardware, and then find them at Tigerdirect, zipzoomfly, Toms Hardware, Newegg, etc. Then you can find out what it will cost to build your own, if that is an option.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "