Graphics card problems

Comment, recommend, complain anything for 3D Video Cards.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, ricktobin, Insured Disaster, gbesoain, Cat1

martinmax69
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Graphics card problems

Post by martinmax69 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:52 pm

Well.....after struggling along with a 7 year old comp...Santa bought me a New one.The problem I have is that I installed the game and it was fine except for the on-board graphics card.Bought a new one and thats when the problems started.The scenery in some places is completely missing....water running up mountains etc.Un-installed Fs9....did a registry clean etc and made sure there was no trace of Fs9.Re-installed...same effect....just re-installed it for the 11th time....same result.Its not the disks as I installed it back to my old comp and no problems at all.....did it 3 times to make sure.I've fiddled around with the graphics card settings and no luck either......any suggestions? Comp specs are

Pentium 2.8ghz, 1gig of ram, Service pack2 and a Nvidia GE Force 6200...which was supose to be 256mg but appears to be only 128mb.I had to ask them to get a graphics card sent over from the Eastern States and was told it was 256mg and paid $125 for it...I think Ive been had as thiis one says its only 128mb which is the same as my old Radeon9200 card.
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:47 pm

Process of elimination leads me to beleeb that it is something with the onboard graphics card. I am certainly not a computer tech but I know a couple and I did stay at a Holliday Inn Express last night so here's what I have heard: Onboard graphics cards are hard beasts to get rid of and one buying a new comp would be well advised to stay strictly away from something with an onboard ANYthing....'cept a motherboard, o'course. There is something about onboard gizmos that just don't want to be superceded by some johnny come lately equipment and you would be well advised to call up your computer manufacturer's hotline (either The Phillipines or India) and ask them what the procedure is for adding a graphics card and getting rid of any influence the old one may have. I'd betcha that's what it is.

groundsquirrel
Forum Moderator - Master member

you are..

Post by groundsquirrel » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:21 am

You are on the right track. You will have to go into your bios settings and make sure that the onboard video is disabled. Then restart and check in your system hardware devices for the presence of your graphics adapter. If there are still issues then you need to also uninstall everything related to your graphics card (software only, leave the card in place). Then, start up and let windows use default vga mode. From that point you can reinstall the OEM supplied drivers that came with the card or from the manufacturers site. I am still using ATI, but may soon check out an NVidea product just for kicks.
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

martinmax69

Post by martinmax69 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:33 am

Well.....the graphics card was installed for me and the on-board graphics card was disabled by the Tech guys....but Ive asked some other comp boffin and he has told me that its 'sort of' a 256mb card in that it uses the on-board card to 'make-up' the differrence--ie: so it comes up to 256mb.The thing that really ***** me is I asked for a 256mb card and I got lumbered with a 128mb one and now the graphics suck....I should have stuck with ATI Radeon card :roll: :(.....any other suggestions....who wants a Nvidia GeForce 6200??!!!....going cheap as Im about to attack it with a hammer!

gmr123
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by gmr123 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:34 am

martinmax69 wrote:Well.....the graphics card was installed for me and the on-board graphics card was disabled by the Tech guys....but Ive asked some other comp boffin and he has told me that its 'sort of' a 256mb card in that it uses the on-board card to 'make-up' the differrence--ie: so it comes up to 256mb.The thing that really ***** me is I asked for a 256mb card and I got lumbered with a 128mb one and now the graphics suck....I should have stuck with ATI Radeon card :roll: :(.....any other suggestions....who wants a Nvidia GeForce 6200??!!!....going cheap as Im about to attack it with a hammer!

Im almost done with a computer maintanence class in my high school, and i was taught that when you add the new graphics card (or video card), the onboard feature is usually disabled automatically. Cause when the pc is started and the bios runs its checks, it detects the graphics card in the expansion slot and the onbaord should be disabled.

121a
SurClaro senior forum member
SurClaro senior forum member

Post by 121a » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:44 am

about the 128 not 256mb issue, it works similar to an onboard card which can use RAM to have more video memory, I also have a 6200 on a computer I built(not the one I'm using) it has somrthing called Turbocache (something rather nother) and it will take Ram to use as Video Ram when graphics are intense(r). Although I don't really know...

Mybe the distorted graphics can be from heat? just a thought?
Wow that is a big waterslide in picture #1. LOL
Hope your problem gets resolved soon.
Specs
Raidmax Smilodon Green Case
Sythe Kama Cross cooler
Intel Q6600 Quad Core @3.2ghz
8gb Corsair Dual Channel DDR2 800
Zotac 9800GTX OC'ed
250gb WD sata 3gb/s
650w Corsair PSU
FS9 on high-40 (locked) fps 35-40fps at high traffic airports
FSX high-low 30 (locked) fps 20fps at deserted airports

rd

Post by rd » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:53 am

Has anybody thought about the drivers???

With Nvidia cards, the newest isn't the best when it comes to drivers. Try 3-4 different drivers, and see what happens.

Also, don't set your AA to anything above a 4x, and AF above 8. They are senstive to what you are running as a complete system.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

bromster

drivers

Post by bromster » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:14 am

I've got a PCI-Ex 6600GT and all the following NVIDIA drivers have worked for me on Windows XP Service Pack 2:

93.71 (i'm using this one at the moment)

Also, don't even think of using Ani-Aliasing. I doubt the 6200 is a powerful enough card to handle that.

Distorted graphics suggests either the Graphics card or memory is taking strain. Ask your computer boffin if he can check the CAS-Latency of your memory and make sure it's set to default. Also ask him to make sure your graphics card isn't being overclocked..

Good Luck.
Bromster.