OEM cards v/s Retail

Comment, recommend, complain anything for 3D Video Cards.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, Insured Disaster

09El_Boissevain
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

OEM cards v/s Retail

Post by 09El_Boissevain » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:12 am

When i was searching for information about the ATI R600XTX, I have come across that OEM ones are 12.4" and Retail ATI R600XTX are 9.5". Is there any difference between these cards? (Other than size).

Which one would be better to get?
Thanks.

Captain El :?:

P.S. I read in a Sierra Community Forums that the 12" could (not sure!) have 2GB DDR4.. Although I highly doubt this.
http://forums.vugames.com/message.jspa?messageID=460467 very bottom post.
Image Image Image
Protect your PC against security threats with industry leading software from Kaspersky!

groundsquirrel
Forum Moderator - Master member

why...

Post by groundsquirrel » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:34 am

Why would you take any information from any place other than AMD/ATI? Just ask them.
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

09El_Boissevain
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by 09El_Boissevain » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:49 am

Just wanted quick reference and not the delay in having to wait for their emails to come for Days :roll: , etc. Just quick reference, you know what i mean? (I did that with Microsoft, because I had a quick question about where I could go to resolve viral "XP genuinity loss", because my XP WAS genuine, but now got errors saying its NOT genuine (after having it for 3 years :roll: ) because there was no information about this in the tech support.) It took them 3 days to respond. And I do not want that. Know what I'm saying?

Captain El :P
Image Image Image
Protect your PC against security threats with industry leading software from Kaspersky!

groundsquirrel

what?

Post by groundsquirrel » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:07 am

what? you dont want to wait in line? yeah, I know what you mean. Being a professional service provider (auto mechanic) I am constantly under the gun to get things done. "how long will it take?", "what time will it be done?", "can I get an oil change, tire rotation, and tune up please?"(about ten minutes from closing, where were they all day while I was twiddling my thumbs? at the beach of course. their play time is somehow more important than my playtime. well bummer summer, it's my wrenches :twisted: ). I understand, all I am really saying is, consider the source when you are out on a rumour safari. Also, when looking at graphics processors, take note of what motherboards were used during testing and that are being recommended for best performance.
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

09El_Boissevain
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by 09El_Boissevain » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:39 am

Yeah true. And partly the reason I do not want to wait was the fact the my dad is leaving today for Indonesia. Oh well.. looks like it will be the OEM, since it came out first. There seems to be no difference but the size. But there might be others! Any information there is to share for last minute information? My dad is leaving today. So what is on the list now, goes.

Captain El
Image Image Image

bromster
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

"Bits" and pieces...

Post by bromster » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:52 pm

I'm not familiar with the cards, but make sure to be careful what you're buying! What often fools people is the "bits" instead of the "bytes"!

eg. Dont buy a 512 MB card that is only 128-bit.

Believe me... it makes a SIGNIFICANT difference! personally, i would buy a 256MB / 256-bit card BEFORE i buy a 512MB / 128-bit card.

Bromster.

viche12345
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by viche12345 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:38 am

OEM cards and any kind of OEM hardware usually come with no extra accessories (like manuals, cables, etc.). It really depends on the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM for short). They decide which components to include in the box. Retail packages come with everything, but are more expensive.

I have purchased a few OEM hardware. My hard drive was OEM, since I wanted to spend less and since I didn't need all the extras. I already knew how to install hard drives and I already had the cables and such.

So it's your choice.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1