My Machine

Got the best performer PC around? post your config here.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

FSPilot06
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

My Machine

Post by FSPilot06 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:23 am

Alrighty. These are the specs that are on the front of my comp. I'll try to grab some more by tommorow. Well, are these specs any good? (I think they're very basic, but I don't know much about it.

E Machines T1842

1.80 GHz Intel Celeron Processor

40 GB Hard Drive Ultra DMA

3D Intel Extreme Graphics AGP

128 MB DDR RAM

Windows XP
Flying is not dangerous. If you don't trust something that has to be supported by air, stay out of a car unless it has solid tires. And believe me, those kind of tires don't ride good at all.

rd
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by rd » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:48 am

I believe this rig is about 4 yrs old now, maybe more.

The bad thing is, the technolog is outdatted by years, not days or months.

Now for some good news.

This system is readily adaptable to better specs. This can be pushed to last years tech or 4 yrs newer than what it has now. The upgrades for it are pretty much open. The problem would be "how open is your wallet" to make the upgrades.

Just so you know, this was not made for gaming, but could be upgraded so that it could be a decent gamer rig.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

FSPilot06

Post by FSPilot06 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:10 pm

Thank you rd. Yes, the computer is about 4 years old (made in 2004). It really isn't a gaming rig but runs flight sim decently as long as the visuals aren't tuned too high. What are some sources for getting upgrades?
Flying is not dangerous. If you don't trust something that has to be supported by air, stay out of a car unless it has solid tires. And believe me, those kind of tires don't ride good at all.

GDI
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by GDI » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:13 pm

There's lots of places you can go to get upgrades. If you're not in too much of a hurry to upgrade- look online. There's tons of stuff- from motherboards to CPUs to, well- everything you need and could want. Just takes awhile to ship.

If you're more into actually buying and having it on the spot, look no further than the closest electronics store. Most have upgrades available for video cards and RAM- processors might be more problematic. They also tend to charge more than online prices- but you do get it right then.

It's really all about what you're looking for.

heeshung
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by heeshung » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:27 pm

When you say "upgradeable" about a PC, I'm assuming you're going to keep the motherboard and PSU. I'm still not with you guys that it's upgradeable. A computer will get more, and more obsolete, until one day, crosses the line to the side that means the computer isn't worth it to be upgraded.

Even if you can upgrade the processor and keep the XP, SATA has been out for a while now, and ribbon cables attached to a hard drive are just plain old. PCI-Express 2.0 came out on January 15, 2007, and PCI-Express 3.0 is due in 2009. Next, we're on the verge of transitioning to DDR3. You don't have the PSU listed, but something tells me that it ain't going to run most, if not all of the newer 9-series cards from NVIDIA.

With the right parts, even with those hardware limitations, you can still get a kickass computer. It's just whether or not it's worth it to upgrade the outdated components.
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)
4096MB Corsair Dominator DDR2 @1066MHz (5-5-5-15) 2.1V
Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 32MB Cache
2x NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 512MB G92 Core in SLI
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR PSU [80A]
Acer X223W 22" 16:10 Widescreen TFT LCD
Azalia HD Audio Connected to 5.1 Channel Harmon/Kardon Surround System and Plantronics GameCom 377 Headset
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Razer Lachesis 4000dpi 3G Laser [Philips Twin-Eye] Wraith Red Edition Gaming Mouse
EVGA nForce 780i SLI FTW Special Edition Mainboard 132-YW-E178-A1
Antec Twelve-Hundred Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7000) (7000.winmain_win7beta.081212-1400)

rd

Post by rd » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:25 am

I agree to disagree, disagree to a degree, but I do agree. 8)

I see it this way. There is nothing wrong spending NO MORE than $500 to upgrade your current system, and to something that you'll get alot out of.

IF YOU PLAN TO KEEP IT FOR 2 YEARS.

I'ts like a car. I'll spend $1,000 in repairs, and suggest to friends and customers, that if it will keep it road worthy and safe 2 years, it is a wise investment. During that time, you can save your dollars for a newer one.

RD
RD

FSPilot06

Post by FSPilot06 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:51 pm

Alright, I just researched some parts on geeks.com and found out that for about $250 I can transform my Machine into a flight simming monster. Right?

GDI
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by GDI » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:04 am

FSPilot06 wrote:Alright, I just researched some parts on geeks.com and found out that for about $250 I can transform my Machine into a flight simming monster. Right?
I don't know if "monster" is quite the right word. Let's compare your computer to a car. Right now, your car (computer) is a 1987 Jeep that's about to die- at least, that's what FSX is thinking when you try to run it on your system right now.

For 250 bucks- you could probably get FSX to think that your computer is more like a '94 Honda Accord- not necessarily about to die, but it'll be strained under the weight of FSX.

In all reality- I'm thinkin your upgrade costs are gonna be in the range of near 500 to possibly 800 bucks. Mainly because EVERYTHING on your system needs to be upgraded- processor, RAM, graphics card- you possibly may even need a new hard drive. Actually- you will, since FSX's install size is 21.4 GB- that's over half of your 40 GB hard drive size.

heeshung
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by heeshung » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:23 am

GDI wrote:I don't know if "monster" is quite the right word. Let's compare your computer to a car. Right now, your car (computer) is a 1987 Jeep that's about to die- at least, that's what FSX is thinking when you try to run it on your system right now.
What a great comparison. :roll:

Basically, I agree 100% with GDI. If you do choose to upgrade, $250 ain't gonna make it a "monster", but more like (as GDI said) a '94 Accord.
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)
4096MB Corsair Dominator DDR2 @1066MHz (5-5-5-15) 2.1V
Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 32MB Cache
2x NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 512MB G92 Core in SLI
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR PSU [80A]
Acer X223W 22" 16:10 Widescreen TFT LCD
Azalia HD Audio Connected to 5.1 Channel Harmon/Kardon Surround System and Plantronics GameCom 377 Headset
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Razer Lachesis 4000dpi 3G Laser [Philips Twin-Eye] Wraith Red Edition Gaming Mouse
EVGA nForce 780i SLI FTW Special Edition Mainboard 132-YW-E178-A1
Antec Twelve-Hundred Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7000) (7000.winmain_win7beta.081212-1400)

rd

Post by rd » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:14 am

It also depends on what your getting for that $250. Is it one piece of hardware, or several???

It's knowing what you have, can work with, and be able to maximize all the goodies into a small goldmine.

And going by just one hardware site does not always bring out the best bang for buck scenario.

RD
RD