UPGRADE TIME BABY!!

Got the best performer PC around? post your config here.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

FSPilot06
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

UPGRADE TIME BABY!!

Post by FSPilot06 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:08 pm

Alright everybody, I've decided to give the green light on upgrading my machine. I have an eMachines T1842. I estimate that I can only put $120 into it this time around, so any suggestions on parts sources or personal recomendations?

Some specs:

128mb DDR Ram :( :( :(

1.80GHz processor

Probably the crappiest sound card available.

40GB Hard Drive

Intel Extreme Graphics graphics controller

P.S. I checked out a web site called geeks.com. Seems pretty good prices.
Flying is not dangerous. If you don't trust something that has to be supported by air, stay out of a car unless it has solid tires. And believe me, those kind of tires don't ride good at all.

heeshung
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by heeshung » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:42 pm

In my opinion, your RAM and graphics card both need an upgrade just as badly as the other, with the CPU not trailing far behind.

You could always keep that $120, and save money over a period of time until you can get something completely new later, so you won't be chained to outdated technology.
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)
4096MB Corsair Dominator DDR2 @1066MHz (5-5-5-15) 2.1V
Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 32MB Cache
2x NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 512MB G92 Core in SLI
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR PSU [80A]
Acer X223W 22" 16:10 Widescreen TFT LCD
Azalia HD Audio Connected to 5.1 Channel Harmon/Kardon Surround System and Plantronics GameCom 377 Headset
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Razer Lachesis 4000dpi 3G Laser [Philips Twin-Eye] Wraith Red Edition Gaming Mouse
EVGA nForce 780i SLI FTW Special Edition Mainboard 132-YW-E178-A1
Antec Twelve-Hundred Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7000) (7000.winmain_win7beta.081212-1400)

Cat1
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by Cat1 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:43 am

I agree with hees...
Save the money, eMachines were designed to be a market dump to move product and they have, but the components were not bleeding edge, leading edge or even grunting edge 6 months after purchase.

I would really recommend starting over with something more up to date. Otherwise you are spending good money to upgrade a system that was not intended to be upgraded much if at all.

Though you have to be careful too, see my config check thread.
If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

FSPilot06

Post by FSPilot06 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:00 am

I considered that option fellas. Well, I've checked some prices and it looks to me like it wouldn't take too awfully much to get just 10 more FPS. On the plus side, I have a buddy who's brother is big into this stuff and has an extra mother board (some kinda high performance) and he said he could probably sell it to me for $20. ... ... ... .... Hmmmm.

But, if the upgrading plan doesn't work out, I could probably afford a new compy. I know where some with 1GB DDR2's are right now for under $400. (Console only)
Flying is not dangerous. If you don't trust something that has to be supported by air, stay out of a car unless it has solid tires. And believe me, those kind of tires don't ride good at all.

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:02 pm

Personally I would go for a new puter, I am pretty sure you can’t get the valves any more for the one you have at present. :wink:

Mel.

michael_horatio
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by michael_horatio » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:50 pm

I agree with those above; putting money in that computer is futile.

But one more thing: the chance of your friend's 'high performance motherboard' fitting in the emachines case is very slim.
Those cases are propriatary in one or two areas, so you would probably need a new case and Power Supply as well.