Underclocked CPU?

Got the best performer PC around? post your config here.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

rd
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by rd » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:51 am

Ummm......
Attachments
nuclear_explosion.jpg
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

skipperdan

Post by skipperdan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:05 pm

I will say up front that I am not a fan of overclocking CPUs. I have spent many years working with mainframe computers and we never overclocked them. I have owned several cars and I have always read the owners manuals to determine "guidelines" for best performance. I may not change my filters and rotate my tires as often as recommended. However, I realize that by not following their guidelines, I will be limiting the life of my cars. When it is time to trade in the car, the mechanic who inspects it can usually tell how well I took care of it.

I wish you luck with your experiments. However, I can only conclude by repeating when Clint Eastwood said in his Dirty Harry movie,

DO YOU FEEL LUCKY SUCKER
I AM NOT A PILOT. I JUST LOVE AVIATION.

CAPTAIN--CIVIL AIR PATROL
...Emergency Services Training Officer
...Instructor at the Florida Wing Conference 2012.
...Mission Observer (front right seat)
...Air Operations Branch Director
...Flew several times in a Cessna 182 with G1000 (maintaining the MFD).
...Attended two day class conducted by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center
...Completed training for Flight Line Marshall, Flight Release Officer, and Mission Radio Operator.

You should visit your local Civil Air Patrol Squadron and complete an application for membership.
Please watch this video that my son made of a Discovery Flight from Albert Whitted Airport (my home base). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EMUg1jiCss
Please check out scenery that I helped develop for Albert Whitted Airport http://www.surclaro.com/download.php?query=KSPG&op=search&cid=
Check out this article in Air and Space Magazine concerning Albert Whitted Airport:
http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/The-Airport-That-Wouldnt-Die.html

09El_Boissevain
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by 09El_Boissevain » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:46 pm

I've been playing FSX for a while no problems Q6600 @ 3.51GHz and 3.5GB DDR2-800 @ 936.. But it seems like I get BSoD after 1 - 2 hours of playing if I have music running in the background, when I'm flying up a massive aircraft (PMDG). Is it possible the cause of this the starving RAM? (I only increased DDR2 OverVoltage to +.20V over stock). I raised it to +.25V.

Not only do I get BSoD in FSX.. but I have had several BSoD's when I have music playing and executing a program (or driver). Is this a DDR2 starvation or CPU starvation? CPU clock is 2.4GHz @ 3510MHz at 1.52V and DDR2-800 at 936MHz with 2.06V. the 3.51GHz at 1.52 should be MORE than enough.. (Am I missing something?)

It's annoying though.. because even when I am not doing anything, merely executing a software installation (not nearly loading the CPU.. max 10%) and I get BSoD while listening to music. Does it sound like a CPU issue or a RAM issue or something else?

The BSoD reported error is something that looked like "0x0000000000.. bla bla numbers bla"

Captain El
Image Image Image
Protect your PC against security threats with industry leading software from Kaspersky!

viche12345
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by viche12345 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:19 am

What else does the BSOD say? There's usually a cause somewhere in the middle of the BSOD.

I assume you are using Vista. Once a BSOD strikes, Vista automatically restarts the computer after a small memory dump has been performed. If this happens, one probably doesn't have enough time to read what's on the screen. To disable the restart, perform the following steps.
1. Right-click on Computer (on the desktop or Start Menu)
2. In the "System" window, on the left, click on Advanced System settings
3. In the "System Properties" window, click on the Advanced tab.
4. Under "Startup and Recovery" sub-section, click on Settings
5. In "Startup and Recovery" window, under "System failure," un-check Automatically Restart.
6. Click OK in every previous window to save changes. You may have to restart your computer.

Good luck! At this point, I would think the cause is your overclocked RAM. A CPU issue usually would cause a total system lock-up, not a BSOD.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

09El_Boissevain
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by 09El_Boissevain » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:07 pm

I got another and it said as follows:
Windows BSoD wrote:A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The system encountered an uncorrectable hardware error.

Please contact blah blah blah... for solutions blah blah...

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x00000124 (0x00000000, 0x86A88600, 0xB2000040, 0x00000800)

Dumping physical memory to disk: 100
The funny thing is, it only happens when I am listening to music on iTunes while executing a program (randomly). It doesn't happen when I am NOT listening to iTunes! What could be the problem?

Captain El
Image Image Image
Protect your PC against security threats with industry leading software from Kaspersky!

viche12345
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by viche12345 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:29 pm

A quick Google search of the STOP code yields something related to NVidia hardware. Have you updated BIOS and video card drivers yet?
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

09El_Boissevain
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by 09El_Boissevain » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:41 am

Yesterday I just updated my NVidia 8800 Ultra driver to the newest version (169.25). My BIOS is updated to the latest F7 version on my Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6.

I haven't gotten a BSoD yet since, because I avoided music while tasking, (but I know there are some due when I am listening to music while executing programs and tasks), but I was getting these BSoD's running normal tasks with music. ONLY with music; no music (iTunes), no BSoD. And I am getting these BSoD's when with music in the most random situations, like executing a download in firefox!

Captain El
Image Image Image

groundsquirrel

have you...

Post by groundsquirrel » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:16 am

Have you contacted i-tunes with your problem to see if others are having hardware compatibility issues? i-tunes has been out for a while now, there may be some glitch-fixes or other things popping up as hardware technology advances. Then again you may also have version errors or possibly an erroneous handling issue that isnt so obvious. I wonder if "Hijack-This" can catch the problem before BSOD so you can analyze the cause?
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.