RAM vs PAGE FILE

Got the best performer PC around? post your config here.

Moderators: mel wilson, rd, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

RAM vs PAGE FILE

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:52 pm

I have been thinking about Flight Sim and how Ram is generally a wonderful thing. the more RAM you have the smoother it is. Well, being that I have ALL of my FS9 and FSX and about 5 other games on an external hard drive, would boosting the PAGE FILE for a hard drive possibly give a "ram" boost?? I know that some things should just not be messed with, but I was just wondering. The page file of a drive causes part of a drive to be used as RAM, so if i increase the page file of C:\ being that FS9 / X is being read from E:\ then wouldnt the sim be smoother???

just a ponder to ponder over....
Dell Inspiron 2200 Laptop
WINXP Home (sp3)
Intel Celeron M -- Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1396 Mhz
Total Physical Memory 1,280.00 MB
Video: Name Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
Sound: SigmaTel C-Major Audio

viche12345
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by viche12345 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:02 am

There is no place like 127.0.0.1

rd
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by rd » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:48 am

Test is on Friday, so make sure you study it good.

I actually read the thing 3 times. When blood started coming out of my eyes on the third reading, I had to stop.

I want to hit the guy that writes this stuff, and shake the hand of anybody that understands it.

RD
RD

ImageImage

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

skipperdan

Post by skipperdan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:03 pm

RD:

I understand most of what he is saying. However, I had to attend a week long class presented by IBM on "Queing Theory" in order to understand what he is saying.

Unfortunately, I am getting ready to go out the door to attend our weekly Civil Air Patrol Meeting which is why I can't give you a long explanation.

There are two major issues here:

1. If there is no other information available, the normal recommendation of 1.5 times the amount of RAM in the computer is a good place to start. Whenever you set a fixed number for Virtual Memory, make sure that you tell the system that you are overriding the defaults. Therefore, you should set the Minimum and Maximum values at 1.5 times your RAM.

2. Every computer has to have a "Bottleneck". If you eliminate one bottleneck then something else will move to the top of the list. Because Virual Memory requires addional Disk I/Os, this means that your hard drive will have to take on additional load. 8) 8)
I AM NOT A PILOT. I JUST LOVE AVIATION.

CAPTAIN--CIVIL AIR PATROL
...Emergency Services Training Officer
...Instructor at the Florida Wing Conference 2012.
...Mission Observer (front right seat)
...Air Operations Branch Director
...Flew several times in a Cessna 182 with G1000 (maintaining the MFD).
...Attended two day class conducted by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center
...Completed training for Flight Line Marshall, Flight Release Officer, and Mission Radio Operator.

You should visit your local Civil Air Patrol Squadron and complete an application for membership.
Please watch this video that my son made of a Discovery Flight from Albert Whitted Airport (my home base). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EMUg1jiCss
Please check out scenery that I helped develop for Albert Whitted Airport http://www.surclaro.com/download.php?query=KSPG&op=search&cid=
Check out this article in Air and Space Magazine concerning Albert Whitted Airport:
http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/The-Airport-That-Wouldnt-Die.html

viche12345
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by viche12345 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:40 am

Sorry about that RD, LOL

I copied a passage from that page, one which I think is most relevant to the concern:
-----
Pagefile

RAM is a limited resource, whereas virtual memory is, for most practical purposes, unlimited. There can be a large number of processes each with its own 2 GB of private virtual address space. When the memory in use by all the existing processes exceeds the amount of RAM available, the operating system will move pages (4 KB pieces) of one or more virtual address spaces to the computer’s hard disk, thus freeing that RAM frame for other uses. In Windows systems, these “paged outâ€
There is no place like 127.0.0.1