dual monitors ??

Got the best performer PC around? post your config here.

Moderators: mel wilson, rd, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

dual monitors ??

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:24 pm

im on a laptop, but i would like to have 2 monitors, I have the built in monitor that is attached, but would like a 2nd screen for various other things....

I have only 1 monitor port on the back of the computer. Would i simply just plug in another monitor and then i would have 2 monitors??? or would i need a "splitter" and 2 NEW monitors besides the 1 LCD that is attached??

See attached pic below for DISPLAY PROPERTIES and what I would love to have as my set up....

Dell INSPIRION 2200 Laptop / Notebook

Windows XP Home SP/2
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1396 Mhz
Total Physical Memory 1,280.00 MB

Video::
Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
Adapter RAM 128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)

C:\
Size 24.24 GB (26,024,783,872 bytes)
Free Space 8.39 GB (9,005,293,568 bytes)

E:\
Size 111.76 GB (120,002,150,400 bytes)
Free Space 84.28 GB (90,497,941,504 bytes)
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:51 pm

Hey Capt., ...From the wording of the message I would say you only need to connect one monitor to your laptop in order to use the 'Multiple Display' feature. My take is that your laptop display is considered the first monitor and if you plug in the second monitor and use that feature you will be good to go. Of course I could be totally wrong too.

BTW, the only thing missing from that killer sim rig photo is the sky-splitting speaker and subwoofer array for when you're 'Tomcatting'!

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:33 am

yeah i know. someone else gave me that pic saying the same thing that they wanted that setup..... but in my own defense, im still trying to mentally figure out how to get my (less than) 5.1 TV Surround sound system to hook up to the laptop, being that the laptop has NO Digital Audio Out, NO Digital Video out, ....... the only thing that it does have is the standard 25mm headphone jack, and 25mm Mic jack.

but hey, i do have some small computer speakers that are 4AA Battery Boosted to make them louder. :twisted: :twisted: and believe me, i crank up the sim volume to max, computer volume, and crank up the speakers and I go out to the mail box (approx. 75 - 80 ft in front of the house) and i can hear the ROAR of my F14 as it sits on auto pilot!!! so yeah.... no real surround sound somewhat needed with it THAT loud!! (you should hear NASCAR when i have it playing on sunday ... lol)

back on target, i guess i just have to try it out with another monitor and see. even though on my keyboard i have a key that can change monitors FN + F8 (LCD / CRT) {function + F8)
Dell Inspiron 2200 Laptop
WINXP Home (sp3)
Intel Celeron M -- Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1396 Mhz
Total Physical Memory 1,280.00 MB
Video: Name Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
Sound: SigmaTel C-Major Audio