no cd-rom drive found

Got the best performer PC around? post your config here.

Moderators: mel wilson, rd, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

no cd-rom drive found

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Sat May 03, 2008 9:25 pm

every time i reboot, i get a white screen of death saying that something can not be found. reboot to try to find it again, or hit escape to ignore (see pic below) --- i have reason to believe that the item in question is the CD-ROM drive, due to the fact that SYSTEM INFORMATION does not list it anywhere under COMPONETS > CD ROM.

is there any way that i can repair this MALFUNCTION being that i am on a laptop and can not take it apart to check the wiring to see if something came loose?? or maybe a DRIVER issue???

Dell INSPIRION 2200 Laptop / Notebook

Windows XP Home SP/2
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1396 Mhz
Total Physical Memory 1,280.00 MB

Video::
Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
Adapter RAM 128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)

C:\
Size 24.24 GB (26,024,783,872 bytes)
Free Space 8.39 GB (9,005,293,568 bytes)

E:\
Size 111.76 GB (120,002,150,400 bytes)
Free Space 84.28 GB (90,497,941,504 bytes)
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Sat May 03, 2008 9:38 pm

<pulling my hair out> thats it. im calling DELL and am gonna try to order a new computer. UGGGGH!!! now the dang D:/ (DVD/CD-RW DRIVE) was found after a brief restart.

Sorry mel, rd, gs, jaeg- im about to shoot this computer, or buy a new one and use it for the TS and FSHost computer, and that will be pretty much the only things on it. and use this UNRELIABLE PIECE OF $#!T only for holding the simulators and flying on it, and searching the web and whatever else needs to be done. im trying to stay a head of the game with these failures, but *beep* what next??? C:/ formats by itself? monitor throws sparks and dies? MOBO blows up and catches fire????

to the original post. please lock the thread, problem seems to have fixed itself.
Dell Inspiron 2200 Laptop
WINXP Home (sp3)
Intel Celeron M -- Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1396 Mhz
Video: Name Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
Sound: SigmaTel C-Major Audio

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Sat May 03, 2008 9:40 pm

Prop,

Does your BIOS still recognize the drive?

Do you have any utilities for that drive? Can you get to it via Safe Mode?

Will Safe Mode get you anwhere at all?

Do you have System Restore functionality? Tried it?

jaeg

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Sat May 03, 2008 9:59 pm

1. it did not when it wasnt working, but now it does.

2 no and no

3. no, but after i rebooted, yeah (because the mobo saw the cd-rom)

4 i see System Restore in START / PROGRAMS / ACCESSORIES / SYSTEM TOOLS but if i try to use it, it says that it "can not restore to a previous date and time" which is another problem unto itself, that i wish i could have fixed, but i can live without SYSRESTORE for now... its just a back up thing anyway.

oh well. its working now and thats what matters.
WINXP Home (sp3)
Intel Celeron M -- Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1396 Mhz

groundsquirrel
Forum Moderator - Master member

sounds like...

Post by groundsquirrel » Sun May 04, 2008 1:26 am

Sounds like the drive did not spool up in a timely manner. RPM is critical for hard drives, if the spindle speed is not constant or at the correct RPM during boot or save, then you can experience problems such as the ones you described. You said it would not restore...do you have system restore turned on for that drive? Did you allot enough memory or at least have it on automatic? As to the drive, the possibilities are the power supply or the hard drive.
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Sun May 04, 2008 3:04 am

Calling Dell support is like a trip to New Delhi... Practice your Pun Jabi skills before you call.
I have only called once and it wasn't good... I speak our language in their accent better than they do. Go figure... :roll:
If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Sun May 04, 2008 3:24 am

I have a Gateway Laptop that is now dead and defunct (i believe the monitor went out, or the onboard video chip -- i turn it on, and there is only a steady ear piercing BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP that lasts until you shut it back off, and nothing else will happen).... well i have LIFETIME unlimited phone support for GATEWAY.. now anything that happens with my DELL INSPIRION 2200 that i am on now, i call Gateway and say it is for that computer - they help me - i fix the DELL!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

as to System Restore.. it is turned on for the C:/ the main drive for the laptop, set at the max 12% (2978MB) of the drive. AND it is turned on for the E:/ which is the EXTERNAL (games) drive set at max 12% (13733MB) ---- neither one will RESTORE. I have even tried going through SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT and putting in a "forced restore" where you use something like %systemrestore% ??????????? something like that.... that didnt even work.

oh well. i just have to be careful of what i do and how i do it cause if i *beep* it up, its done, get a new one. -- and being now that WIN XP is off the shelves i can not go back and just buy a new OS and hope that fixes my problems.

but at least the CDrom works now and i can fly again without having to go to a certain website and get the infamous FS9(NO-NO) to void any type of possible waranty i have with the sim. (then again i always have FSX on stand by that i rarely fly cause my comp just barely runs it on bare minimums)
WINXP Home (sp3)