RAM question

Got the best performer PC around? post your config here.

Moderators: mel wilson, rd, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin

danthepilot
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

RAM question

Post by danthepilot » Thu May 08, 2008 3:48 pm

Hey guys, I currently opperate a four slot DDR2 motherboard, and i currenty have two GBS of corsair DDR2(2 1GBs). I just recently bought two more, the exact everything and put it in the other two slots. When i go to turn on the PC, the LED light just blinks but it sounds like the computer is starting up and then i get no power with my Monitor or other things attached to the motherboard, any one got any ideas?

rd
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by rd » Thu May 08, 2008 4:08 pm

Pull out your case, and recheck all your connections.

Are the clock timings the same for all 4 sticks???

RD
RD

ImageImage

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

Flightsim2010
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by Flightsim2010 » Thu May 08, 2008 4:13 pm

Had the same problem about 5 years ago. Found out the problem was that I was overloading More RAM then my computer could take. So I had to bring back the product, and installed one that was not so high. I already had 64 mb of ram, when I tried to put a 256mb addon, = 320, too much for my pc, thats what the pc hand book said. So I put in 128mb and then it worked. So I think it might be that your putting in too much, b/c I had the same problem as what your saying.

danthepilot
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by danthepilot » Thu May 08, 2008 5:12 pm

Yes, RD, everything is the exact same on all four sticks. My mobo can hold up to like 32GBS of RAM and this is only 4, so i dont understand why it cant handle just 4 when it can handle up to 32. Is it because my powersupply is only a 380Watts? Is it not cappable of running 4GBS of ram + Geforce 7600GT + Dual Core AMDX@ 3800....?? I tried taking out the two new sticks and starting up the computer and it still did the same thing...The PC starts up but i dont get anypower to my monitor and the LED light just blinks...

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Thu May 08, 2008 5:53 pm

WOW.............. A 350w PSU........ I'm surprised it's enough to light up your lights....... 8O

I am currently only running 1gb, but I changed my PSU some time ago, to a 750w. I would certainly upgrade yours, just for the hell of it, might just be the answer to your problem.

Mel.

http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

rd

Post by rd » Thu May 08, 2008 6:24 pm

Get a new PSU..... Something over 600w. That 380 is way under as Mel has said. And like him, I'm surprised it even powers up.

Can you also post up a link for your MB.

RD
RD

ImageImage

danthepilot
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by danthepilot » Thu May 08, 2008 6:54 pm

Thanks for the input guys!! I believe corsair is compatibile with any kind of MB. I mean, my PC was working fine with 2 1GB sticks in there already and i dont see why it wouldnt work when i just put two more in there that are the exact same as the first two......

rd

Post by rd » Fri May 09, 2008 4:45 am

That wasn't my point. So don't try to read my mind.

There are other things I want to look at. And your RAM sticks have nothing to do with it.

Geezzz.

RD
RD

ImageImage

viche12345
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by viche12345 » Fri May 09, 2008 5:00 pm

Looks like the compuer can't POST. Didn't know a shortage of power could prevent the POST...
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Fri May 09, 2008 8:31 pm

danthepilot wrote:Yes, RD, everything is the exact same on all four sticks. My mobo can hold up to like 32GBS of RAM and this is only 4, so i dont understand why it cant handle just 4 when it can handle up to 32. Is it because my powersupply is only a 380Watts? Is it not cappable of running 4GBS of ram + Geforce 7600GT + Dual Core AMDX@ 3800....?? I tried taking out the two new sticks and starting up the computer and it still did the same thing...The PC starts up but i dont get anypower to my monitor and the LED light just blinks...
Gents, these are two possibly three different problems...
RAM has little to do with the monitor, I have never seen a "monitor" dependent on MOBO RAM.
Unless you go into the BIOS and this is a stretch, set up the BIOS to recognize the RAM it won't. This is MOBO and BIOS specific, Windows will usually see it and use it.
"Low power" is a different issue, as the components increase in capability, they increase in power consumption. A 350 Watt PS is a stock off the shelf number and I can't count the number of times that low power has been a sticking point in a post upgrade problem.
Monitor not showing a display... Graphics card is the first check box... Is it properly seated, it is dirty, when was the last time the contacts were swabbed off type of thing, is it built in video, is the MOBO dirty in that area? This has zero to do with the RAM on the machine.
If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

heeshung
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by heeshung » Fri May 09, 2008 8:52 pm

Completely agree with Cat1...

All computers are different, but I'm running 3584MB of RAM on a 305W PSU.
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)
4096MB Corsair Dominator DDR2 @1066MHz (5-5-5-15) 2.1V
Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 32MB Cache
2x NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 512MB G92 Core in SLI
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR PSU [80A]
Acer X223W 22" 16:10 Widescreen TFT LCD
Azalia HD Audio Connected to 5.1 Channel Harmon/Kardon Surround System and Plantronics GameCom 377 Headset
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Razer Lachesis 4000dpi 3G Laser [Philips Twin-Eye] Wraith Red Edition Gaming Mouse
EVGA nForce 780i SLI FTW Special Edition Mainboard 132-YW-E178-A1
Antec Twelve-Hundred Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7000) (7000.winmain_win7beta.081212-1400)

danthepilot
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by danthepilot » Sat May 10, 2008 4:27 am

Yes guys, the problem is the power supply, being i only have 380 watts, with more than two GBS of ram, the computer cannot frankley run on more than two.....it just shuts it self off when i have more than two in there, im getting a 700watt next week...THANKS FOR THE HELP!!

ricktobin

Post by ricktobin » Sat May 10, 2008 4:45 am

I'd have to agree with Cat1 and the power issue and a seperate video card issue.

Maybe the video card was knocked loose while installing the RAM?

When you power up your computer and it completes the POST test, what colors do you see on the LED on the front of your computer and what sequence of beeps do you hear, if any?

danthepilot
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by danthepilot » Sat May 10, 2008 5:38 am

It is the power supply, when i had the other two GBS of ram = 4GBS of ram, the PC would turn on and the LED light would flash and then the PC would just shut its self off, my powersupply is too low to handle 4 GBS of ram, so i am getting a 700watt as i mentioned above...it wasnt the graphics card, i just didnt have enough power to run eveything when all four were in...that was the problem and im glad its fixed... :)

rd

Post by rd » Sat May 10, 2008 5:58 am

That's one of the reasons why I wanted the specs of your MB.

But as I said earlier, you need a bigger PSU.
RD

ImageImage