WINDOWS SP3 ALERT !!!!!!!!

Got the best performer PC around? post your config here.

Moderators: mel wilson, rd, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin

Did this Tutorial help at all?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:20 am

yes
17%
no
17%
You don't have it.
17%
No thanks, I'll wait until the rest of you sheep rebuild your computers and MS fixes it.
50%

Total votes: 6

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

WINDOWS SP3 ALERT !!!!!!!!

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Fri May 16, 2008 1:20 am

If you run Windows XP DO NOT under any circumstance download and install the new WINDOWS Service Pack 3 !!!!!! It will corrupt your REGISTRY and remove various things.

I had these problems personally. and I have a solution to fix the problems!!!!

If you did Download SP3 and you experience the problems i did in post http://forums.surclaro.com/viewtopic.php?t=17109 you MUST do the following::

go to ADD / REMOVE PROGRAMS -- Remove WINDOWS SERVICE PACK 3

restart your computer and continuously tap F8 or F12 to bring up a "boot menu" ... GO INTO SAFE MODE

once in safe mode, CLICK .. START > RUN .. type in REGEDIT (or regedit.exe as in my case)

EXPAND the following::

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > ENUM > ROOT > LEGACY_LIVEUPDATENOTICE

if you see ANY entries that start with $%&'( ... ALL of them MUST be deleted. some may have numbers in them, but if it starts with that, DELETE IT!!

once you have deleted all of the entries, close REGEDIT normally. RESTART your computer and let it boot up as normal. Everything will be fine now!!

::whew::

This is the link for how it was fixed. RD http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/Sho ... &SiteID=17
Dell Inspiron 2200 Laptop
WINXP Home (sp3)
Intel Celeron M -- Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1396 Mhz
Total Physical Memory 1,280.00 MB
Video: Name Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
Sound: SigmaTel C-Major Audio

ricktobin
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by ricktobin » Fri May 16, 2008 2:47 am

You might want to post the link to the page where you found "your solution" so people can see the entire thread relating to that problem and what the people did that actually came up with "their solution".

It almost sounds like you are taking credit for a fix that others spent their time working out.

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Fri May 16, 2008 3:48 am

I don't know... I D/L SP3 day after it came out... No ill affects/effects here.
Possibly machine(s) Vendor specific?
If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

Boldpilot
SurClaro senior forum member

Windows SP3 Alert

Post by Boldpilot » Fri May 16, 2008 4:23 am

Hi Propwash, Did you read my flight from UHPP to PAGA ,Flight 10, in the search for Madeleine McCann trip. I explained what had happened to my directional instrument reading incorrectly and the ILS not working just after installing SP3 .Maybe SP3 was the reason .I got rid of SP3 and restored my security settings by doing a System Restore to before the SP3 install date .I am now on SP2 and staying on it .Boldpilot

rd

Post by rd » Fri May 16, 2008 5:17 am

cough-cough.....

I never intended on getting it. I've kept up on all the updates through my choices when they became available.

So to me, there was no reason to get it.

And now that a few of you have gotten it, and had problems with it, I stand by my decision.

If any of you guys have an HP system with an AMD processor, and are having problems, MS is working on a patch to the SP3. Expect it in a week or two.

RD
RD

ImageImage

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Fri May 16, 2008 12:44 pm

Very sorry to hear of your SP3 troubles, Prop.

I've successfully installed SP3 to my little HP laptop and my XP machine without any problems whatsoever---thankfully.

Jaeg-
Bruce aka Jaeg-

Project Developer:
- Around The World Search / Madeleine McCann

ricktobin

Post by ricktobin » Fri May 16, 2008 4:18 pm

Baah....Baah

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Mon May 26, 2008 8:15 pm

SP3 did not cause any problems for me.
What kind of problems did you have? I installed it onto three computers so far with no issues. May I also add, that the Service Pack 3 that was released earlier was for Windows XP only, it does not apply to Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000, or NT. Neither does it apply to Vista.
IMO you have just put up a big false alert... Although it IS possible that M$ fixed the issue, because I waited a good week at least before downloading SP3.
If you have any more questions then please ask.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case
Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W - PSU
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H AMD 790GX - Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Quad-Core - CPU
G.SKILL 4GB 240-Pin DDR2-800 - RAM
SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB - Graphics Card
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB - Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - Optical Drive
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating System

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Mon May 26, 2008 9:09 pm

You need to go and see the problems Prop had... Not only him though, many people suffered the same problems, some had it much worse.
The SP3 update was and is clearly targeted at Win XP users! Don't know where you get the "big false alert" thing... It has really honked up some peoples systems just by installing it, and it alone. That to me is not a false alert.
MS is having to patch SP3 BECAUSE it honked up so many systems, is that a false alert?
Just keep swimming and be thankful that it didn't bite you.
If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

rd

Post by rd » Mon May 26, 2008 11:59 pm

(enter JAWS theme music here.....)
T-Fish wrote:May I also add, that the Service Pack 3 that was released earlier was for Windows XP only, it does not apply to Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000, or NT. Neither does it apply to Vista.
Wow, did you figure that out............all by yourself >??
IMO you have just put up a big false alert... Although it IS possible that M$ fixed the issue, because I waited a good week at least before downloading SP3.
I have to agree with what Cat1 just posted. And I will also add the fact, that even if you did wait a week, or a month to get SP3, it is still the same one. It has not been updated or modified yet. And there will be, as of now, 3 patches for SP3 for different end operating systems, and because of some installed hardware problems.

The only thing false in this thread, is your post.

ouch :)

RD
RD

ImageImage

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Tue May 27, 2008 12:30 am

Only thing wrong my ass.
First off, I said that SP3 he was talking about only applied to XP, because in the OP he said a warning to all OS's before XP. Now then, that does not apply. This is why I posted that.
Of course, if you got a release candidate, of course you might have some issues. Now then, it will NOT go around *corrupting* various registry settings. I went into my registry settings and did not have this:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > ENUM > ROOT > LEGACY_LIVEUPDATENOTICE " issue.

There are however, *OTHER* (emphasized) issues. I am not saying XP SP3 doesn't have issues, I am simply saying that the issues that Propwashed described are not "prevalent."
SP3 won't remove various things. It will however, have some conflicts with some hardware-you will need to reinstall drivers after that. If you installed the right SP3 version, you should have no problems. If so, ask.

The OP's "solution" is not a solution, only a restoration. It doesn't leave the system updated.

There has been a noted issue with AMD systems with a constant restart issue. This happens to some computers. I installed SP3 on Saturday onto an AMD system and had no issues. This does not apply to all computers though.

Now then, since you seem to generalize everything and draw conclusions, I will make this clear:
SP3 does NOT corrupt your registry and does not go around removing various things.
There will be hardware conflicts, but was that noted in the OP? No, he only said it corrupted registry entries and removed various "things."

I did *NOT* say that SP3 is problem free. There are problems, I noted that and I am aware of that, just not the issues that Propwashed posted in his original post.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

rd

Post by rd » Tue May 27, 2008 2:22 am

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/Sho ... &SiteID=17

Check out the link, for the multiple problems faced by those that have a problem with SP3.

T-Fish wrote:Now then, since you seem to generalize everything and draw conclusions, I will make this clear:
SP3 does NOT corrupt your registry and does not go around removing various things.
There will be hardware conflicts, but was that noted in the OP? No, he only said it corrupted registry entries and removed various "things."

Now let me make it VERY CLEAR TO YOU. It can and does corrupt registry files, and it does remove items. Read the 12th or something post from a MS techie that knows.

So untill you know more than me, and MS, check your facts before posting.

RD
Last edited by rd on Tue May 27, 2008 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
RD

ImageImage

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Tue May 27, 2008 2:26 am

well, T-Fish, you may not have been aware of the things that i talked about in my original post.... but since my original post, and i outlined what my problems were... and had several people try to offer help in resolving my problems... I for one, feel that you were made aware of what happened to my computer.

EDIT:::
tropicalfish wrote:There are however, *OTHER* (emphasized) issues. I am not saying XP SP3 doesn't have issues, I am simply saying that the issues that Propwashed described are not "prevalent."
Not "prevalent" ?!?!? wth?? I had the same EXACT problems that most of the other people in the post http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/Sho ... &SiteID=17 had. How were my issues not prevalent? They matched everyone elses. Just because your computer is / was NOT affected, great!!!! im happy for you. But at least you can not say that you were not warned that many other people were having problems and that things got messed up on their computers.

As to my full out ALERT!!! ... ok, I goofed a little. I got the "WINDOWS SERVICE PACK 3" from the Microsoft Update Website. granted on the site it says that it is for WINXP but if you do not read it carefully enough you might get caught downloading something that your computer does not actually need because you do not even have WINXP.

LOOK at the 2 pics below, and you tell me if things were NOT removed from my system. Cause if you can find them in the pictures, i'll send you $50 cash!! ... otherwise, I did not know why NETWORK CONNECTIONS WAS MISSING and Device Manager was EMPTY!!

NETWORK CONNECTIONS::
PIC 1 -- http://forums.surclaro.com/download.php?id=5540

PIC 2 -- http://forums.surclaro.com/download.php?id=5541 --- HARDWARE MISSING!!!!!! PLEASE REINSTALL!!!!!!! -- how in the ____ am i going to reinstall a modem in a LAPTOP ???? i have to send it back to the factory and have them do it for $750!! - i already called them about it.

Device Manager:: http://forums.surclaro.com/download.php?id=5560
WINXP Home (sp3)
Intel Celeron M -- Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1396 Mhz

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Tue May 27, 2008 2:40 am

rd wrote: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/Sho ... &SiteID=17

Check out the link, for the multiple problems faced by those that have a problem with SP3.

T-Fish wrote:Now then, since you seem to generalize everything and draw conclusions, I will make this clear:

Now let me make it VERY CLEAR TO YOU. It can and does corrupt registry files, and it does remove items. Read the 12th or something post from a MS techie that knows.

So untill you know more than me, and MS, check your facts before posting.

RD
I stand corrected...
BUT.
Propwash: Do you use Norton? Reading further into the topic shows some correlation of Norton causing registry issues.
Take a look at this if you do use Norton: http://community.norton.com/norton/boar ... ge.id=1416
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Wed May 28, 2008 12:23 am

"reese_anschultz - Symantec Employee"

We have determined that the SymProtect feature is involved, though this issue is not exclusive to Symantec customers. We’ve seen reports from various users who are not running Symantec products.

To help prevent this issue from occurring, you should disable SymProtect prior to installing the Windows XP SP3 upgrade.
Taken from the Link provided by T-FISH... 2nd reply down.

even SOME people that do NOT have Norton can be affected.

I do have Norton's A/v 2008 Internet Security, and before installing ANY major update, i always DISABLE the programs so that they will not interfere with "active x scripting" or anything else in the download. I turned it back on, and that was when I started noticing the problems.

As to my solution that I posted at the very top..... It is a Simplified way of repairing your computer to get back what the SP3 had messed up. I am only taking credit for condensing what most other people had said, and for not trying to build or wait on ANOTHER program to fix the registry. I tried to make it in the most simplest terms so that the most NON-Understanding 12 year old can figure it out before DAD got home and started yelling.

But I do thank you Tfish for the nortons site.
WINXP Home (sp3)

Boldpilot

Windows SP3 Alert

Post by Boldpilot » Wed May 28, 2008 1:31 am

Hi Guy's. A little snippet. Symantec may be getting wrongly blamed ,could be some little files put on there by Microsoft, go to ,

http://www.wxpnews.com/S74NOR/080527-Em ... ce-Manager

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Wed May 28, 2008 1:58 am

The vast and overwhelming majority of users in this world are just that... Users. They are ill equipped, and even less knowledgeable about how to fix a problem caused by a MS authorized released update than the average toaster or hubcap. That is simply the way it is.
But when MS hurries a SP to the market and has not done all the testing that possibly could have been done then it creates this kind of problems. Now either it was hurried or the retraining from the logging industry into software code techs is working well... At least it has created a buzz as loud as a chain saw.
And now the problem is being identified as things that can be fixed, but why was it released as buggy as it is? Cause that's what happens with MS, almost par for the course since the days of DOS.

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Wed May 28, 2008 2:13 am

and while slightly on the same topic of Service Packs.... Looks like Microcrap hurried FSX out the door before VISTA and DX10 ever got finalized. ..... My opinion on all things from Microsoft -- wait 6 months THEN get it, no matter what it is!!
WINXP Home (sp3)

Boldpilot

Windows SP3 Alert

Post by Boldpilot » Wed May 28, 2008 3:35 am

Hi. Well I did a search in my computer and found one of the files mentioned in the Symantec article ,"cscipt.exe 1c26180c', in the Windows\ Prefetch area .So what is the advice ,"Do I delete it or leave it installed ????. Thanks.BP

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Wed May 28, 2008 3:41 am

If it does not cause problems-such as unexpected issues that have not come previously, then leave it alone.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

rd

Post by rd » Wed May 28, 2008 4:57 am

If it ain't broke, break it, so you can fix it.

Otherwise, leave it be.

RD
RD

ImageImage

viche12345
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by viche12345 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:59 pm

capt.PropwashKCHS wrote:and while slightly on the same topic of Service Packs.... Looks like Microcrap hurried FSX out the door before VISTA and DX10 ever got finalized. ..... My opinion on all things from Microsoft -- wait 6 months THEN get it, no matter what it is!!
Yes!
There is no place like 127.0.0.1