looking for new laptop

Got the best performer PC around? post your config here.

Moderators: mel wilson, rd, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

looking for new laptop

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:09 pm

yeah yeah yeah, i know... dont get a laptop... get a desktop cause you can get more speed / power out of it.... but im looking for portability but yet at the same time, speed / power.

How do you feel about this Dell Inspirion 13.. http://www.dell.com/content/products/pr ... n-13_anav3~~

Inspiron 13

Add to Cart

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5850 (2.16GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1
Glossy, widescreen 13.3" LCD (1280x800) w/o Camera
8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive)
3GB1 Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
Size: 250GB2 SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini-Card
56Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)

1. ) im sure that it will handle FS9 with absolutely no problems.... what about FSX SP1 at least???

2. ) memory size? Hard drive? Processor???

3. ) could the processor be overclocked?

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:10 am

The graphics is a bottleneck, will probably not be able to run FS9 at full settings.

FSX? Don't think about anywhere near high settings.

EDIT: If you want a Dell laptop geared towards gaming, look at the XPS series.
EDIT2: Oh, and no, you should NOT try to overclock laptop processors.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case
Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W - PSU
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H AMD 790GX - Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Quad-Core - CPU
G.SKILL 4GB 240-Pin DDR2-800 - RAM
SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB - Graphics Card
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB - Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - Optical Drive
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating System

121a
SurClaro senior forum member

Post by 121a » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:19 am

i'm strongly against dell. they are kinda a monoply in the sense that you need to buy all dell parts for your dell system, unlike any other PC manufacuter you can put different parts into it and it will still work just fine.
+1 on what T-fish said.

and look into alienware also, pricey but I heard they are worth it.
Specs
Raidmax Smilodon Green Case
Sythe Kama Cross cooler
Intel Q6600 Quad Core @3.2ghz
8gb Corsair Dual Channel DDR2 800
Zotac 9800GTX OC'ed
250gb WD sata 3gb/s
650w Corsair PSU
FS9 on high-40 (locked) fps 35-40fps at high traffic airports
FSX high-low 30 (locked) fps 20fps at deserted airports

rd
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by rd » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:21 am

Have to agree on the Dell thing. Almost all their stuff is propriety. Meaning only their stuff can be used on it. Very few outside sources cater to being able to modify or include Dell compatible hardware.

Plus, for the price, there are better ones to be had, with better equipment.

RD
RD

ImageImage

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

viche12345
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by viche12345 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:17 pm

Check out this topic and how I almost fried my entire Dell desktop when trying to install a third-party power supply.

http://forums.surclaro.com/ftopic8076.h ... roprietary

I'm strongly against Dell. My favorite laptop brands are Acer, Asus, Lenovo, Alienware, and Toshiba.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:21 am

well, like the Dumb@$$ that i probably am.... i tried to download WinXP SP3 (again) thinking that MacroCrap (microsoft) would have figured out their little problems with the SP..... Well....

The problems that I am being faced with now, is 1) a faulty harddrive - bios does not recognize the HDD.... 2) something is not posting properly in the Processor, or another system componet is damaged somehow.

Im leaning toward the HDD going out because at boot up i can F12 to get to DIAGNOSTIC scan (i probably need to do a RUN > SCANDISK.... or RUN CHKDISK) ..... but i have to "boot / F12 / Diagnostic" about 4-7 times in a row before the HDD engages and allows the computer to boot up. BUT!!!! as it is booting up, i get a white and grey screen saying that something in the Modular Bay is not inserted correctly, please restart computer to try to fix the problem, or hit ESC to ignore and continue.

Well, the only Modular bays that I have is my 1 Gig memory stick, and i know that would not cause the bios to not find the Harddrive. BOTH the memory, and HDD are inserted fully, and once Windows does start up... everything seems to be just fine. No problems in DEVICE MANAGER; System info is showing everything the way that it should be; EVERYTHING APPEARS TO BE FINE..... that is until i have to reboot the system after updates, or I turn it off.

As far as other parts not fitting "my" dell inspirion 2200 laptop.... I have 2 HDD from a Gateway laptop that will fit my Dell Laptop perfectly. Now, if they did work, if they had Dell codes on them for the DELL laptop (write zeros to the drive, then reformat it for the dell, reinstall windows, and rebuild the software) I am sure that they will work with the dell. -- oh well, if i cant get a whole new computer i might just have to settle for a new HDD at hold me off till Tax Season when i can go get me that Alienware ive had my eye on for a while http://www.alienware.com/products/area- ... KU-DEFAULT

let me know what you think.

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:38 am

Are you using Symantec?
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:33 am

as in? antivirus? yeah.... ive never had a problem with it........ is that the problem?? SP3 and "nortons" dont like each other?

groundsquirrel

dont overlook...

Post by groundsquirrel » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:57 am

Dont overlook the HDD ribbon cable. I cant count how many times I have been handed a "dead" PC only to find a bad cable.
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:47 am

I've had all the wrong problems with Symantec.

IME, you are better off replacing Symantec with something slimmer (use less system resources) and cheaper (more bang for buck).

Symantec is a great company, but their software is total crap.

There have been numerous reports of Symantec software conflicting with SP3.
I believe if you Google something about Norton and SP3, you will find that Symantec released a few fixes or something for SP3.

Check before you install SP3, and remember, backup your data.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

viche12345
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by viche12345 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:44 am

A great, light antivirus program: ESET NOD32. I can barely notice its presence. See for yourself:

http://www.eset.com

121a

Post by 121a » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:01 am

or there are a bunch of free ones, such as avast antivirus, i use it and it is generally nice. well with 4gbs of ram i'm a little less worried what is running and what is not, :D

I'm also starting to get tired of Micropoop right now. I'm having an updating problem, and cannot get only certain updates. I'm working with a tech agent who seems to be sending me emails only about ever 4-7 days though they say 24hours on the site. :roll:
Specs
Raidmax Smilodon Green Case
Sythe Kama Cross cooler
Intel Q6600 Quad Core @3.2ghz
8gb Corsair Dual Channel DDR2 800
Zotac 9800GTX OC'ed
250gb WD sata 3gb/s
650w Corsair PSU
FS9 on high-40 (locked) fps 35-40fps at high traffic airports
FSX high-low 30 (locked) fps 20fps at deserted airports

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:21 am

I use avast! here.
If using payware software gives you that extra sense of security, then ESET NOD32 is excellent.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

Haun

Post by Haun » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:02 pm

if you think you have a virus go this:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic17258.html

Not an antivirus software, antivirus KILLER. You do what it tells you and it will purge all, at least thats what it did for me, viruses and virus related crap from your computer.

Im not sure if you should use this on Vista (it might kill the computer :wink: ). And Im not sure how safe it is for use when you dont really have a virus. but i bet some one could tell us.

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:31 pm

ok guys.... appearently things are getting a little off topic with the whole "it might be a virus" issue. it is not a virus.. my Nortons AntiVirus / Internet Security 2008 has been ran 20 times and my computer is NOT infected with a virus.

BIOS WILL NOT DETECT THE C:\ HARDDRIVE. ... i have to turn off / on the computer ~15 times and keep hitting F12 to go to Diagnostic mode to get it to recognize the HDD. Once it does recognize (like NOW) then everything works just fine. There is something between the Motherboard and the Harddrive (possibly the drive itself) that is messed up.

the last thing that i did BEFORE any of this started happening, was i downloaded and installed WIN XP SP3. I believe that is where my problem lies. I have checked the REGEDIT to see if there are / were any added entries like there were before and EVERY SINGLE ENTRY in the registry is ok (as far as i can tell). I have tried to uninstall SP3, but a popup window comes up and says that the Service Pack can not be found.

???????? ok, if i can see the SP in Add / Remove Programs, then it should be able to be removed, right??? I have tired in regular computing mode, and in SAFE Mode, and neither way allows me to delete the SP.

Now, before any of you open your keyboards and says anything about "well, why dont you use system restore to just go back to before you installed it...."............. SYSTEM RESTORE DOESNT WORK EITHER. it has not worked since the day i bought the computer 3 years ago.

ergo... the topic of this thread.... LOOKING FOR A NEW LAPTOP

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:15 pm

Umm, why look for a new one when you can fix it yourself?

Save some money.

(Well, maybe I am Asian that way)

Okay.

When you say it does not detect the hard drive, what does that mean?

Do you get any No Operating System Detected notices, or when you go to your BIOS settings, you see no hard drives in the list, or what.

Of course system restore or antivirus scans will NOT work if your hard drive is not detected.

Please explain in full detail if you want some help.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

Haun

Post by Haun » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:03 pm

Go with an alienware. and i think he means that when he gos to My Computer there is no Local Disk (C:) link.

I had the same problem with a virus. I think thats where the virus ref. comes from. If you think its registries, look for a registry repair program.

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:58 pm

He said BIOS.

You can't really access BIOS settings when inside Windows.

And if Windows doesn't detect your C drive, it's more or less a registry corruption.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:48 pm

Haun wrote:Go with an alienware. and i think he means that when he gos to My Computer there is no Local Disk (C:) link.

I had the same problem with a virus. I think thats where the virus ref. comes from. If you think its registries, look for a registry repair program.
Haun......... Suggest you back out of this one, and let T-Fish deal with it, your only confusing the situation.

Mel.

http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:24 pm

ok guys, here we go.... (granted i can not take a screenshot while system is in bootup - wish i could though) but ill try to paint you a mental / visual picture.

Black screen with grey letters at the top left::
NO BOOTABLE DRIVE INSTALLED - PRESS ESC TO RETRY

F2 FOR BIOS AT START UP
HARDDRIVE - no drive detected

F12 i can get to diagnostics...
run diagnostics, Harddrive DST SHORT TEST: FAIL (lights blink 1, 4) each time the lights blink [processor, caps lock, numlock, scroll lock TOGETHER] the is a corresponding short beep sound. BEEP..... BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP.

i turn it off, on about 5-6 times F12'ing each time then turn it off again... count to 10, then turn it back on and F12 / Diagnostic 1 more time... HARDDRIVE DST SHORT TEST = PASS!! (yay!! it will boot up this time!!)

once it finishes the complete system test { display, HDD, sound, mouse etc etc etc } it pops up with a grey screen with black letters..

THE DEVICE IN THE MODULAR BAY COULD NOT BE IDENTIFIED, PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT IT IS PUSHED IN ALL THE WAY AND SEATED CORRECTLY.... blah blah blah... PRESS ESC TO RETRY, PRESS "C" TO CANCEL AND CONTINUE. sooooooo, i press ESC and this same screen keeps poping up. (I check the HDD and its firmly pushed in and bolted in place.. check the memory, nope its in place and cover is secure.. check every other connection to the computer - LAN, MOUSE, EXTERNAL HDD, POWER all are fine.... so i hit C instead and low and behold Windows loads up.

I go and check System Info - everythings fine. MY COMPUTER... everythings fine. .... everything everywhere is fine. Antivirus scan.. nothing found. RUN CCLEANER> finds 256+/- MB of crap so i get rid of it (mainly cookies, internet temporary files etc).. run registry cleaner for unused registry files that do not go to anything anymore like programs that were deleted...) everything is where it should be.

I dont know why all of a sudden Bios has started acting all catawhompus on me, but im about to smack BIOS where it hurts.... (right in between its Taiwan and Japan.... meaning its CHINA! :lol: )

well.... theres my picture... if it does it again, ill try to grab my digital camera and take some pics of it, so you can really see what i am talking about.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYSTEM RESTORE::

system boots up all the way and everything appears to be running smoothly and properly.... I try UNINSTALLING Windows XP SP3.. from regular and safe mode... no go.

go to START, PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES, SYSTEM TOOLS, SYSTEM RESTORE.... try to run it.. it says that sets a restore point, and checks the registry.... reboots the system then a pop up comes up and it SHOULD say "your system has been restored to a previous date/time" yada yada yada. ... NOPE!!!! "your systems can NOT be restored to a previous date / time." ... it does not matter what day / time that i select from the dates given to when i want to restore it, it will not restore. ......... my only guess is that there is something messed up in the SYSTEM32 file somewhere that controls things such as this. .. then again, looking in MY COMPUTER > C:\ > WINDOWS there is not even a SYSTEM32 file at all.

Should there be?

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:39 pm

Windows XP SP3 has nothing to with this, as the problem is occurring before Windows actually boots up.

If you have registry issues because of SP3, however, you will need to check the Symantec website.

Have you done ANY changes to your BIOS settings?

When you turn it on, listen closely and see if you can hear the hard drive spooling up. (may be harder as laptop HDD's tend to be quieter)

I doubt that it is a physical connection issue, but that is a possibility.

I recommend that you go ahead and back up your data though.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:45 am

wether or not the HDD, bios, mobo, "computer" decides to act properly i cant really hear the HDD spool, but 1 thing that i have noticed is that the cooling fan that use to come on durring boot, and periodically durring use has NOT turned in like 2 months straight. :?: i dont know. if it has, i dont hear it. as far as the fan goes, looks like i might need a cooling pad ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 4788100200 ) to help with a possible heat issue - even though the keyboard and where you rest your wrists never get hot. ... i dont know.

bios, the only changes that i can really make in bios is "auto start at specified time" , Boot Password, and 1 or 2 other things that are NOT related to system componets (HDD, video, audio, mobo) those are NOT changeable. but no to, have i changed anything in bios... the last thing i did was download and install XP SP3.

I know in desktops that you can have a Master / Slave HDD and set it up as such, but i guess with the new advent of the external HDD that it would / could be a "slave", to bad you can not set it up as such in a laptop. In that... DOES ANYONE HAVE A EXTRA NEVER BEEN USED COPY OF WIN XP YOU MIGHT BE WILLING TO SELL?? Being that XP is no longer being sold, if i could get my hands on an extra copy, I could try to get another external drive and load XP on it... although i dont believe that it would become a bootable drive / disk..... might be worth looking in to with your help TFISH, RD, and maybe GS

As far as data backup.. FS9 AND X are both on my E:xternal drive, as well as 4-5 other games, ALL of my pictures and music are now stored on the E:xternal drive as all. I do care, but i could care less if the C: exploded and crashed..... At least i have my sons pics from when he was born 15 months ago saved to the External, and truthfully im going to Walmart after work tomorrow for more CD/R's so that i can put them on CD's and then into my fireproof lockbox they go. .... I have to have something to show his girlfriends when he gets 16-18 LOL :lol:

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:03 am

I'm thinking the internal harddrive or controller is faulty...

It would be better to get a new computer than to fix the current one IMO.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:10 am

If the internal harddrive is starting to show signs of it going out... then maybe i can try to dodge a bullet by just getting a new harddrive and installing it. but as you say, if it is the controller that is starting to go out, then i am practicaly up $#!T creek without a paddle. ergo... looking for a new laptop. I guess i need to call around and see what / how much the cheapest Universal Harddrive i can find is.

i still want my alienware laptop.... http://www.alienware.com/products/area- ... KU-DEFAULT

Specs i want in it::

VIDEO: Dual 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 8800M GTX – SLI Enabled

Display: 17" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD with Clearview Technology – Black
Includes AlienFX® Illuminated Keyboard – Exclusive Design! (color blue)

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme X9000 2.8GHz (6MB Cache 800MHz FSB) /// Windows Vista® Ultimate with Service Pack 1

Media:
Internal Digital/Analog (ATSC) MiniCard TV Tuner with Express Card Media Center Remote Control

HDD: (raid 0) 1TB (500GB x 2) 5,400RPM (8MB Cache)
500GB 5,400RPM (8MB Cache) Smart Bay

Optical drive:: 8x Dual Layer Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW) w/ LightScribe Technology

TOTAL PRICE, LESS SHIPPING & HANDLING::::

8O $5,629.00 as low as $169/mo.* 8O

EDIT::::: i just hope this hopped up laptop on steroids is as good as RD's superrig. :twisted:

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:27 am

I am not sure about the controller though.
Because I can't tell, because you said that it sometimes works, it is up to your judgment as to what you want to do.

Oh, and C2E is overkill!
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

viche12345
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by viche12345 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:43 am

tropicalfish wrote: Oh, and C2E is overkill!
Yeah I second that. You could achieve similar performance by simply overclocking an average C2D. But really, I wouldn't try overclocking a laptop....

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:20 pm

then there you go.... dont overclock a C2d, when you can just go ahead and buy the C2e and bet the same performance, and know that you will have faster speeds off the bat anyways

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:43 pm

Get a laptop with a C2Q?

The main reason you shouldn't overclock a laptop is heat.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

Bigggan
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by Bigggan » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:01 pm

capt.PropwashKCHS wrote:If the internal harddrive is starting to show signs of it going out... then maybe i can try to dodge a bullet by just getting a new harddrive and installing it. but as you say, if it is the controller that is starting to go out, then i am practicaly up $#!T creek without a paddle. ergo... looking for a new laptop. I guess i need to call around and see what / how much the cheapest Universal Harddrive i can find is.

i still want my alienware laptop.... http://www.alienware.com/products/area- ... KU-DEFAULT

Specs i want in it::

VIDEO: Dual 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 8800M GTX – SLI Enabled

Display: 17" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD with Clearview Technology – Black
Includes AlienFX® Illuminated Keyboard – Exclusive Design! (color blue)

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme X9000 2.8GHz (6MB Cache 800MHz FSB) /// Windows Vista® Ultimate with Service Pack 1

Media:
Internal Digital/Analog (ATSC) MiniCard TV Tuner with Express Card Media Center Remote Control

HDD: (raid 0) 1TB (500GB x 2) 5,400RPM (8MB Cache)
500GB 5,400RPM (8MB Cache) Smart Bay

Optical drive:: 8x Dual Layer Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW) w/ LightScribe Technology

TOTAL PRICE, LESS SHIPPING & HANDLING::::

8O $5,629.00 as low as $169/mo.* 8O

EDIT::::: i just hope this hopped up laptop on steroids is as good as RD's superrig. :twisted:

Get your self a Sager.

Same hardware for less money!

http://www.sagernotebook.com/default.php