upgrading

Got the best performer PC around? post your config here.

Moderators: mel wilson, rd, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin

mcconnell6
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

upgrading

Post by mcconnell6 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:38 am

OK so the rents went out to buy a new computer a while back unfortunatly i can't seem to run FSX unless my setting all setting are on close to the lowest settings..(no fun and sucks trying to land at say JFK for example-low frame rates.) .. i do not know alot about computers so bare with me. ok so i went in start menu, right clicked on computer, then hit properties and got this for info.

Windows Vista basic
manufacturer : acer
model: Aspire M1200
AMD Athlon processor LE- 1640 2.70 GHZ
1.00 GB ram ..32 bit.
AtI radeon 2100 (went into the game to find out)

...any thoughts about this setup from more of a pros perspective?? should this be sufficent or am i right..It stinks?
I hope i got all the important info.

I've going away to school soon so im needing a computer anyway. ..Yes it will be a laptop because i'll need it for school, portablility.
as you can probably tell i don't know alot about computer hardware. but i do know is:
1) I need a top for school, and IM going into Aviation College so my rents will spring to get me a new decent computer to run FSX (the've seen me go nuts after a long flight and have the game botch on landings...lol) .
2) i want to be able to have MOST all settings up to ultra high..like AI traffic., etc.

I know Laptops arent the best for gaming but thats my only choice. What are the good "brands" for gaming...is it possible to goto futurshop or somewhere and buy a HP or something that will work really well, or am i better of going down a different path? custom? are there gaming computer companies out there?

Can you guys please give me some help. i need something good but not outta this world.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... 5Fcookie=1

http://www.alienware.com/products/area- ... KU-DEFAULT

just a few i've looked at. IM guessing my spending $ limit is somewhere around that --good enough to have fun but not outta this world expensive or amazing.. I want this game to be realistic..for example i wanna be able to fly through an intense T-strom coming into JFK without the game slowing down to much.

Thanks all help/answer would be appreciated and thank you for the help.

ohh..is there anything i really NEED to know before purchasing or other good tips abou hardware?
thanks

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:26 am

The HP laptop will not be able to give you good performance in FSX, but the Alienware will.

Do be aware, that FSX will NOT run on the highest settings on the laptop. It is VERY CPU and Graphics intensive.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case
Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W - PSU
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H AMD 790GX - Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Quad-Core - CPU
G.SKILL 4GB 240-Pin DDR2-800 - RAM
SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB - Graphics Card
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB - Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - Optical Drive
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating System

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:32 am

its not quite info that you are looking for, but it might help point you in a slight direction to find what you need... someone on here gave me this website for checking games for your computer to see if your comp can handle them, its fairly accurate too. http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

mine::

FS9:

FSX - SP1

I can run FSX SP1 (non accellerator) on my laptop but its on 15-25% settings. AIRCRAFT is turned all the way up, and AI is max... but my scenery... LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! owww, i just hit my head on the floor.. can you say SAHARA DESERT for LA?

MY SPECS:
Dell Inspiron 2200 Laptop
WINXP Home (sp3)
Intel Celeron M -- Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1396 Mhz
Total Physical Memory 1,280.00 MB
Video: Name Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
Sound: SigmaTel C-Major Audio

mcconnell6
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by mcconnell6 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:32 pm

ahaha i got a big fat FAIL!... When i first started playing the simulater series (fs04) i didnt really mind the low level of graphics and the low AI i was using, but now that im a bit older, more advanced and actually going to be making a career out of this i want to upgrade so i can play more realistically. (no longer want to see new york look like the Saskatachawan. )

..about the laptop....is that just for the HP and things like that ? or is that Laptops in generall??

Cat1
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by Cat1 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:30 pm

mcconnell6 wrote:..about the laptop....is that just for the HP and things like that ? or is that Laptops in generall??
There are laptops that can be configured to run FSX all out, but no where near your price point or mine for that matter.
If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

viche12345
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by viche12345 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:04 pm

mcconnell6 wrote:ahaha i got a big fat FAIL!... When i first started playing the simulater series (fs04) i didnt really mind the low level of graphics and the low AI i was using, but now that im a bit older, more advanced and actually going to be making a career out of this i want to upgrade so i can play more realistically. (no longer want to see new york look like the Saskatachawan. )

..about the laptop....is that just for the HP and things like that ? or is that Laptops in generall??
Concentrate more on RAM and a discrete graphics solution. The HP does not have a dedicated graphics card. Rather, it has Intel integrated graphics, and it FAILS with video games.

IMO, you might have to spend well over $1000 for a laptop with decent FSX performance.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

mcconnell6
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by mcconnell6 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:36 am

yea RAM is where i failed. and it said i didn't jave the proper dvd/cd drive or what ever.

but ya i figuered i would be spending between $ 1000-1500 if not a bit more. I keep trying to tell the rents its not cheap, and its worth it to buy a laptop thats gonna get the job done..about 1500 bucks +/- a few dollers. .. rather than spend less about 1G(still alot of money) and get something that dosen't or won't satisfy me. I think im putting up a good argument tho?

keep the comments coming... i'm probably going to visit my local computer shop soon . (its only right beside my work!) my parents have known this guy for like 20 yrs and hes the best around.

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:23 am

arguement for the parents..... (depending on your age, if you are in college) you need a computer that will cost at least $1500.00 for some of your school classes. You will be doing some heavy computing and design work (3d graphics and such) and you need one that is portable, yet robust enough to handle a large demand.

mcconnell6
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by mcconnell6 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:02 pm

ok i went to various stores today to get some geaky information about laptops for gaming/ and school.

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_s ... xedCode=WW&=&=

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho ... 10247.html

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_s ... xedcode=WW

what about these options ? the gateway dosent sound has promising but what about the other 2?

what concrerns/ or opinions do you have about the top 2?

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product. ... ct=2510338

this one seems like my best option at my price range?
this was another one i looked at..i liked the 2.13 GHz..well it make that big of a difference from 2.0 GHz? also 500GB ,18.4'' screen!!!

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product. ... tab=2#more

What am i getting special in the toshiba? for like 700 + dollars more? sounds no more special than the 1 in the link above it.

any thoughts would be great,
Last edited by mcconnell6 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcconnell6
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by mcconnell6 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:11 am

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:28 am

For me... And I speak only for myself, I will never buy or own another gateway product as long as I live.
If all the wolds manufacturers quit making computers tomorrow and Big Brother stepped in and said that all computers are gateway now I would go/do without.

I got burned back to back by two of their systems back in 2000... Never again. :evil:
If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

mcconnell6
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by mcconnell6 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:21 am

Cat1 wrote:For me... And I speak only for myself, I will never buy or own another gateway product as long as I live.
If all the wolds manufacturers quit making computers tomorrow and Big Brother stepped in and said that all computers are gateway now I would go/do without.

I got burned back to back by two of their systems back in 2000... Never again. :evil:
ahaha next?

ya gateway is off the list..my mom has had bad experiances

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:10 am

I haven't looked at any of your links provided... Shame on me, but what are you going to be studying in college? What school, Aviation College means different things to different folks.
Major? If you know...
I know that you want a game machine, I have always used the adage of buy a gaming machine if you want a good drafting/3-D machine.
If you are going to be involved in Engineering classes then chances are you can pass off a higher end machine due to the requirements of the software you will be using.
And it isn't that much of a stretch, but since parents are involved you need to accept their input too.

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:26 am

Out of the list you posted, the ACER ASPIRE AS8730-6703 seems to be the most powerful.

Keep in mind, you won't be able to run FSX on ultra high. Medium to high settings, you might get some decent results.

It takes a whopper of a desktop to run FSX on ultra high, but even at medium - high, FSX looks brilliant in game.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case
Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W - PSU
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H AMD 790GX - Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Quad-Core - CPU
G.SKILL 4GB 240-Pin DDR2-800 - RAM
SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB - Graphics Card
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB - Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - Optical Drive
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating System

mcconnell6
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by mcconnell6 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:23 pm

tropicalfish wrote:Out of the list you posted, the ACER ASPIRE AS8730-6703 seems to be the most powerful.

Keep in mind, you won't be able to run FSX on ultra high. Medium to high settings, you might get some decent results.

It takes a whopper of a desktop to run FSX on ultra high, but even at medium - high, FSX looks brilliant in game.
ok. is medium - high enough to have jetways, and to be able to download say world of AI? and Traffic X (i want the real airlines and routes in the game) would like autogen on a decent qualtity to make the mountains and land textures look more real.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... merreviews

a guy sent me this link...its from the best buy USA site tho..im in canada.
sounds like the best deal. no blue ray but i can live without that..blue ray players in everything but a blueray players SUCKS.

The another good thing about the Acer from the source is that they do have a good payment plan..over 12 months no interest..you can pay wat ever amount you want each month-aslong as you have it paid of in 1 year. with this econonmy the way it is thats a great thing.

mcconnell6
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by mcconnell6 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:20 pm

mcconnell6 wrote:
tropicalfish wrote:Out of the list you posted, the ACER ASPIRE AS8730-6703 seems to be the most powerful.

ok. is medium - high enough to have jetways, and to be able to download say world of AI? and Traffic X (i want the real airlines and routes in the game) would like autogen on a decent qualtity to make the mountains and land textures look more real.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... merreviews

a guy sent me this link...its from the best buy USA site tho..im in canada.
sounds like the best deal. no blue ray but i can live without that..blue ray players in everything but a blueray players SUCKS.

The another good thing about the Acer from the source is that they do have a good payment plan..over 12 months no interest..you can pay wat ever amount you want each month-aslong as you have it paid of in 1 year. with this econonmy the way it is thats a great thing.
KK...would paying an extra grand extra from the Acer from the soucre to go with this one?
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... &langid=EN

Will the Quad Core be Like night and Day VS the duo Core?