New i7 Chips... and a story...

Got the best performer PC around? post your config here.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

Cat1
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by Cat1 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:42 pm

rd wrote:The more I play with it, the more I'm liking it. :D
8O :-s
If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Thu May 07, 2009 11:08 pm

Cat1 wrote:
rd wrote:The more I play with it, the more I'm liking it. :D
8O :-s
Yeah......... That had me worried too Clay :lol:

Mel.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:25 pm

Now back to the topic...
If I reinstall the Dell IDE and OK OK I'll use the ribbon cable, I make it a slave... and then I will have access to all the data on the drive and will be able to boot into Win XP as well?
I don't know really why I would do that, maybe I'm missing something here.

I am looking to not have to reinstall everything that was on the IDE drive, like FS and all the other games ETC.
Will this work if I just make it a slave?
If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Fri May 08, 2009 12:18 am

Cat1 wrote:Now back to the topic...
If I reinstall the Dell IDE and OK OK I'll use the ribbon cable, I make it a slave... and then I will have access to all the data on the drive and will be able to boot into Win XP as well?

I am looking to not have to reinstall everything that was on the IDE drive, like FS and all the other games ETC.
No, you won't be able to boot into Windows XP with your new computer, because hardware is completely different and chances are it won't work.

If your main drives are SATA, it does not matter whether you set IDE to Slave or Master or Cable Select. Just check to see that your BIOS is booting to your SATA drive.

You'll be able to access data on your IDE drive, but I'm not sure about running programs straight off of it. I know that FS will work, but I'm not entirely sure. I am running FS off of what's copied from my laptop since my disks died, but the multiplayer implementation is messed up.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case
Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W - PSU
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H AMD 790GX - Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Quad-Core - CPU
G.SKILL 4GB 240-Pin DDR2-800 - RAM
SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB - Graphics Card
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB - Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - Optical Drive
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating System

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Fri May 08, 2009 12:43 am

RD are you running any other exhaust fans aside from the PSU fan?
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

rd

Post by rd » Fri May 08, 2009 5:46 am

Cat1 wrote:Now back to the topic...

Clay.... With my 2 XP hard drives, all I had to do, was connect them to SATA 1 and SATA 2 connections. Then I could access them through the "computer" icon. They showed up as "Drive E and Drive F". As for the IDE connections, it doesn't matter, as long as your boot is from SATA-0. After that, and booting up, you should be able to go to your "computer" icon, and see your IDE drive(s). If you can't, then check your BIOS, to see if it has been enabled to detect IDE Drives.

T-Fish wrote: No, you won't be able to boot into Windows XP with your new computer, because hardware is completely different and chances are it won't work.

If your main drives are SATA, it does not matter whether you set IDE to Slave or Master or Cable Select. Just check to see that your BIOS is booting to your SATA drive.

You'll be able to access data on your IDE drive, but I'm not sure about running programs straight off of it. I know that FS will work, but I'm not entirely sure. I am running FS off of what's copied from my laptop since my disks died, but the multiplayer implementation is messed up.
Actually, I made a minor mistake on which SATA connector to hook up my XP hard drive with the OS on it. It booted up XP just fine, and I could do what I could do before. Problem is, I didn't want to run XP, I wanted to run Vista. Just changing the connections on the hard drives on the SATA connections on the motherboard, brought me back to Vista. And then, I could run Vista, and still have access to EVERYTHING that was on the XP hard drives.

@ T-Fish... I have a 120mm exhaust fan on the back of the case under the PSU, another at the front to draw air in, and a smaller fan on the side that also sucks air in, that blows almost directly on the CPU and GPU.

RD

EDIT for the overclocking: I ran the full prime?? on it, and stayed below 70.
Attachments
0506091344.jpg
0506091319.1.jpg
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Fri May 08, 2009 9:04 pm

That was the way I had it installed before but even though the data was there (and still is) it wasn't "installed" if that makes any sense. I made the mistake of blindly copying some of the data to the (X86) program file folder and it kinda got crapped up in the process.

I guess I can just slap the IDE drive back in and go from there.

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Sat May 09, 2009 1:46 am

RD have you run stress tests on your OC?
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

rd

Post by rd » Wed May 20, 2009 5:42 am

As if things couldn't get any better, they do.

There are two versions of the i7 920. A "CO" and "DO" if you will. It seems from all the different OC forums, that the 'DO' is better, faster, and runs cooler than the 'CO'. And lucky me, I have the "DO" version. Of which, will easily hit +4.0Ghz.

I'm not that much into over clocking for bragging rights. But with the small adjustments in the BIOS, to get me to 3.5Ghz, and being stable, I'm just fine.

But... it is interesting to see what others have done, to see 4.5Ghz and higher, on the same CPU.

RD
RD

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Fri May 29, 2009 12:04 am

Now seeing that makes me sort of sad... I have had three crashes tonight alone.
Each was a different issue but it was a BSOD none the less.
I have had to back out all OC to get the system stable again.
The CPU is running at 100.4 F
North Bridge is running at 111.2 F
South Bridge is running at 109.4 F

Ambient room temp is around 78 F and the case is open, albeit, under a desk.
Even tried putting a 10" diameter Honeywell fan on the internals and no real change in temp occurred, all case fans are running at MAX, not that it does any good with the case open.

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Fri May 29, 2009 3:00 am

Did you remember to run stress tests on your OC? If the stress tests fail, then you can be guaranteed that the computer will crash or have problems.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

rd

Post by rd » Fri May 29, 2009 4:35 am

Cat, are you using the OEM fan and heatsink??? If you're running the Intel CPU cooler, beware of it. It is round at the base, and leaves a good 25% of the surface area on the chip open.

Why they made the heatsink foot print round on a square chip, doesn't make a whole lot of sense, if you ask me.

To be honest though, those temps shouldn't be your problem.

RD
RD

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Fri May 29, 2009 5:24 am

rd wrote:Cat, are you using the OEM fan and heatsink??? If you're running the Intel CPU cooler, beware of it. It is round at the base, and leaves a good 25% of the surface area on the chip open.

Why they made the heatsink foot print round on a square chip, doesn't make a whole lot of sense, if you ask me.

To be honest though, those temps shouldn't be your problem.

RD
For a stock cooler designed to be used on stock clocks only, it should not matter. The cores are in the center. The heatspreader just covers the whole thing.
Of course, for OC'ing, it makes it miserable.

The thing about your temperatures: If they are your load temperatures, then that is really fantastic--that's really low.
If they are your IDLE temperatures, you should make sure you run stress tests when you OC (I like OCCT) and make sure that the temps (for best results) do not exceed 60C (140F).
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

rd

Post by rd » Fri May 29, 2009 6:49 am

@ T-Fish...

My first load test with it OC'd to 3.6 Ghz, was with Prime95 blended for 2 hours I think. Max temp was 68*C. And that is with the aftermarket cooler.

I ran OCCT for 10.5 hours last Friday (I started it before I went to work, and stopped it when I got home). Temps were sitting at 71*C, and no BSOD or crashes.

Last Sunday, I let it run overnight with FSX running (I set up the autopilot, to keep flying)(FSX settings are 75% max on everything, and 60 FPS). Temp in the morning was 48*C. After shutting everything off, in less than two hours, idle temp was 37*C.

To be honest, I have no intentions of going any further with my overclocking. It's stable, and there is no need to, from my perspective.

RD
RD