New i7 Chips... and a story...

Got the best performer PC around? post your config here.

Moderators: mel wilson, rd, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:56 pm

Any updates yet?
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case
Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W - PSU
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H AMD 790GX - Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Quad-Core - CPU
G.SKILL 4GB 240-Pin DDR2-800 - RAM
SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB - Graphics Card
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB - Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - Optical Drive
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating System

Cat1
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by Cat1 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:55 pm

Monitor, Case, CPU, Vista, SSD, HDD's arrived yesterday.
Monitor is hooked up to my Dell... HUGE difference, monitor replaced was a 19" now to the 24". The thing is hurt your eyes bright on start up, I was able to turn it down though.
Remainder of things is supposed to be delivered today, except the memory.
The Kingston DDR3 2000 (3 X 2GB) I wanted is still out of stock around the world, well I did find some in France, but... It's in FRANCE! Even Kingston's web site shows a date of June something of this year for restock, I went with this instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820145232 It's really the "same thing", just a bit more money.

I ordered that last night. I hope to have it by this weekend so I can begin the build.
If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:29 pm

Be sure to take advantage of the cable management features in the case, it's a really large and easy case to work with.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:51 pm

Memory won't be in until Monday, so I went local and got Corsair 1333 just so I could build and test.
I have been D/L software and updated for about OMG four hours!
time for a beer and the smell of a new system
TF you are right about the case, IT IS HUGE! I didn't realize how big until it got out of the box. I did a very poor job of cable routing but I was going more for get it running than get it perfect.
There is a mass of cables down near the power supply and right next to the HDD's that looks pitiful.
Some happy snaps are included.
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:10 am

I suggest you mount your PSU upside down so that the fan faces upwards.

Other than that, it looks great!.

With so many fans in the case, you could run all of them on Low without a hitch.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:41 am

That's one reason why it looks like poo...
I can't, I don't have the cable length I need. I had everything in place and left the wiring to the last step, every thing is to short. I had to turn it fan down. Believe me I wasn't happy! :evil:
Three inches of additional length on the leads would have done it, strange... That's the width of the power supply!

But 3DVantage scored me in the close to 14,000 number range, my dell was in the close to 1,450 range... That's a 10X improvement. \:D/

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:56 am

Cat1 wrote:That's one reason why it looks like poo...
I can't, I don't have the cable length I need. I had everything in place and left the wiring to the last step, every thing is to short. I had to turn it fan down. Believe me I wasn't happy! :evil:
Three inches of additional length on the leads would have done it, strange... That's the width of the power supply!

But 3DVantage scored me in the close to 14,000 number range, my dell was in the close to 1,450 range... That's a 10X improvement. \:D/
Just make sure there is some space under the PSU so the fan can take in air.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

rd

Post by rd » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:30 am

That's a nice looking rig there Clay, congrats.

Are the power cables really that short that you can't turn it 180???

Is the fan a sucker or a pusher, and does the case have an opening for it at the bottom???

I should probably take a look at what case you got. But, it does look HUGE.

RD
RD

ImageImage

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:10 pm

There's rubber bumpers about a 1/4" high under the power supply.
And yep, they are that short.
The case is a Antec 1200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129043

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:04 pm

Now it looks like I need to gather up all the ciphers for the various games and stuff.

I pulled the IDE drive out of the dell and since the new MB has IDE I pluged it in hoping to have stuff work... How silly was that thought.
Looks like I am going to have to reinstall much stuff, not horrible though. I do have the data on the IDE, it's just not installed.
That's going to take awhile...

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:28 pm

rd wrote:That's a nice looking rig there Clay, congrats.

Are the power cables really that short that you can't turn it 180???

Is the fan a sucker or a pusher, and does the case have an opening for it at the bottom???

I should probably take a look at what case you got. But, it does look HUGE.

RD
It's a large fan mounted on the bottom of the PSU that pushes air into it, so that it exhausts out the back.

No hole at the bottom.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:41 am

Now I have been beating my head against a wall for the better part of the day...
What is the best way to get the IDE (WinXP) data to the SATA2 drive (Vista)
The file structure is way different and having the data just hanging out is not what I was hoping for.
It took me 30 minutes just to figure out how to transfer my favorites over (Stop laughing) :lol:

rd

Post by rd » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:02 am

RD

ImageImage

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:56 pm

Hmmm...
It seems like I am going to have to re-install all the games and add-ons I have for FS in any case first, unless I am misunderstanding something.
I was hoping to not have to do that but it looks like that's the least of my issues. I have no idea where the game books are for some of my stuff.

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:12 am

I dang near got angry...
The Corsair Dominator memory arrived today in all of its 12 Gigabytes of 1866 goodness, so I removed the 6 GB of Corsair 1333 I bought from Fry's Electronics and installed the 1866. I booted the machine and what did I see? OMG, OMG, OMG!!! IT'S REPORTING ONLY 8GB OF MEMORY!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
WTH!
Long story short, swapped the memory around, checked the ones that were not registering one by one, worked fine, plugged them all back in and and Viola... Vista is recognizing all 12GB and reporting the correct speed in the BIOS.

I'm a further happy builder :D

Now if I just didn't have to reinstall everything... I'm not liking Vista much either. I know it's all supposed to be about better stronger and faster, but what a pain to have to relearn a GUI every single upgrade.
AutoCAD has been on the market for nearly as long as Windows, the GUI has had minor updates, but it is basically the same now as it was when Release 13 came out in around 1994...

It is what it is though... :wink:

Oops, forgot to add the benchmark snap...
Attachments

rd

Post by rd » Sat May 02, 2009 5:49 am

I'm feeling your pain Clay, and it doesn't feel to good.

This is my first solo run from a ground up build and install, so I have more questions than I have answers.

Navigation is way different with Vista, and causing some problems. Most have been dealt with, with some patience. Others I will check out this weekend.

If there is a plus, the 12gigs of RAM are accounted for, and the 9800GTX is showing up. Checked the bios, and temps are sitting nice and cool. I don't have anything installed yet to test it out, but should be fine.

I did notice the speed increase while downloading and installing a few files.

Now just to get the stuff off my XP hard drives and onto some dual layer DVD's. Once that is done, things will happen alot faster.

BTW... No problems with the power cable lengths. Actually I could cut a few of them 2 inches shorter.

Other than VISTA, I am for now, a happy camper.

RD
RD

ImageImage

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Sat May 02, 2009 7:58 am

Waiting for updates with anticipation, been wanting to do something like this myself for a long time.

Mel.

http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Sat May 02, 2009 2:09 pm

rd wrote:I'm feeling your pain Clay, and it doesn't feel to good.

This is my first solo run from a ground up build and install, so I have more questions than I have answers.

Navigation is way different with Vista, and causing some problems. Most have been dealt with, with some patience. Others I will check out this weekend.

If there is a plus, the 12gigs of RAM are accounted for, and the 9800GTX is showing up. Checked the bios, and temps are sitting nice and cool. I don't have anything installed yet to test it out, but should be fine.

I did notice the speed increase while downloading and installing a few files.

Now just to get the stuff off my XP hard drives and onto some dual layer DVD's. Once that is done, things will happen alot faster.

BTW... No problems with the power cable lengths. Actually I could cut a few of them 2 inches shorter.

Other than VISTA, I am for now, a happy camper.

RD
Pictures!! And specs of course. :D
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

rd

Post by rd » Sat May 02, 2009 10:09 pm

Pics will be coming soon.

As for specs, a couple things changed than previously posted. I can't fit the Antec 1200 case inside the desk slot for it. So I went with a smaller one, and it worked out great.

Specs:

CPU... i7 920 (2.67Ghz)

MB.... Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R-Intel ATX

GPU.. 2X 9800GTX+ 512mb SLI (dumped the standard GTX for the GTX+)

RAM.. 12gb of 6-5-5-18 clocking. DDR3 2000+ triple channel

HDD.. 2x Maxtor 500gb and WD 200gb SATA II (all from old comp)

PSU.. 1,000w KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S

OS... Vista Ultimate (same as my other rig)

Case. ATOP AT-AP588BK

Misc.. Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi titanium 7.1, W/GigaWorksâ„¢ S750 7.1 speakers

Reusing: Blue ray DVD SATA; Dual layer lightscribe DVD +/- RW SATA; as well all the hard drives.

For giggles, I've already installed FS9 with the update, and FSX with no updates. FS9 settings maxed, and carrying 60fps, FSX at 80% maxed and carrying 45 fps. Airports for both was Kennedy.

I am impressed.

RD
RD

ImageImage

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Sun May 03, 2009 12:50 am

A small update from me... I was able to OC the CPU to 4.0Ghz and it runs stable at that speed, but I didn't like the temps I was receiving so I backed it out.
I did finally re-route the birds nest of cables and tie them in place where needed. I was able to run the main power inside the case with all the wires tied up and that allowed the PSU to be turned fan up (into the case) which cooled it down by about 10 C.
The MB that I have comes with three positions for additional thermocouples (couples included) so, I attached one to one of the external sticks of the RAM, one to the BFG GTX295 on one of the heat syncs, and one near the exhaust outlet for the PSU.

I still haven't really installed all the software back from my IDE, I was hoping that with an IDE to SATA adapter that I might be able to install it and make a dual boot system. I haven't really figured out how to do that yet or if it can be done at all considering a XP Pro to Vista Extreme dual boot.

Also my speakers need adapters to work the the SB whatever sound card that came with the MB, mine are a RCA type connector. Oh bother... :wink:

rd

Post by rd » Sun May 03, 2009 2:21 am

Cat1 wrote: I still haven't really installed all the software back from my IDE, I was hoping that with an IDE to SATA adapter that I might be able to install it and make a dual boot system. I haven't really figured out how to do that yet or if it can be done at all considering a XP Pro to Vista Extreme dual boot.
I've been looking for the same thing, since 2 of my HD's are XP, and has alot of stuff I want to put/use on the VISTA.

One HD has all my document stuff and XP OS, and the other has all my FS9, FSX, and X-Plane stuff on it. I really wish I could hook them up through the SATA connections, boot up, and save them on the VISTA OS drive, and then move them where I need to. Then clean out both XP HD's, and format them with VISTA.

From what I've found, it isn't possible, or you need to be a serious Geek Squad Master Employee. Otherwise, I think I'm stuck with going to DIT, and having them put everything from the XP HD's, and putting them on dual layer DVD's.

RD
RD

ImageImage

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Sun May 03, 2009 4:10 am

At least you are seeing the same... So I'm not totally dumb.

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Sun May 03, 2009 7:24 pm

Cat: What do you mean? Do you want your IDE drives on your computer to run Windows XP so you can dual boot?

Also, you can connect your sound card to your speakers with either one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6882123073
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6882021058
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:31 pm

IDE drive is from the Dell, it has all the data and Win XP on it already.

As far as the speakers go, I know I need an adapter, I'm just too lazy now to get one. I just plug in the single speaker lead to the heas set jack and it works.

rd

Post by rd » Tue May 05, 2009 5:32 pm

Some info I just got, but haven't tried out yet.

From what I was told, I can connect my SATA XP HD's to my VISTA SATA MB. He said it will boot normally to VISTA. As well it will recognize the XP HD, as a second HD. It will also allow me to open and transfer all the files and folders.

I'm off tomorrow till next Monday. Guess I will give it a try tomorrow, and see what happens.

And for you Cat, he said you can use an IDE to SATA adapter and do the same thing. Just make it a slave, and not a master.

Let you all know tomorrow, how it goes.

RD
RD

ImageImage

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Tue May 05, 2009 10:00 pm

You can connect your Windows XP hard drive to your motherboard's SATA connector.
Just make sure that your Vista hard drive is connected on SATA-0 (or a number before the XP drive) so the motherboard won't boot from the XP drive.

You will be able to access anything you need from your XP drive once you boot into Vista.

EDIT: If your old hard drive is IDE, and you have IDE connectors on your motherboard, use the IDE ribbon cable, NOT the adapter.

Just make sure your motherboard is set to boot from your original SATA hard drive.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

rd

Post by rd » Wed May 06, 2009 4:35 am

Thanks T-Fish for the SATA-0 notice. Didn't really think about it. But I did put the VISTA OS HD on SATA-0. Only made sense to do it that way.

Any particular reason not to use an IDE to SATA adapter??? Just wondering.

RD
RD

ImageImage

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Wed May 06, 2009 4:52 am

rd wrote:Thanks T-Fish for the SATA-0 notice. Didn't really think about it. But I did put the VISTA OS HD on SATA-0. Only made sense to do it that way.

Any particular reason not to use an IDE to SATA adapter??? Just wondering.

RD
If you have an IDE hard drive that you want to use and an IDE connector you want to use, it'll be better just to connect IDE to IDE. The converters aren't always that great, IMO.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case

rd

Post by rd » Thu May 07, 2009 6:29 pm

Well, all is good to go.

After dealing with the XP HD saying I need Admin rights to open or move files and folders, I finally have everything I wanted off the XP HD's and on the Vista HD. Took alittle time, but was well worth it.

I also did some overclocking, just to see how stable it would be, and how hard or easy it would be. meh, too easy really.

Updated the BIOS to F4, and now running 3.6Ghz with some small tweakings. Temp is still under 60C under medium load.

The more I play with it, the more I'm liking it. :D

RD
RD

ImageImage

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Thu May 07, 2009 9:53 pm

Do stress tests with OCCT. For best stability, run the OCCT test for more than 1 hour.

Be sure load temps remain under 65 for "optimal" overclock.
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case