slow slow computer

Got the best performer PC around? post your config here.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

bluetop
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

slow slow computer

Post by bluetop » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:01 am

o.k. stupid question but maybe someone can give me a quick solution[short of buying a new computer].How do I check windows xp to see if there is a program running in the backround ? This computer is slow but over the last week it has just gotten pathetic. I have Macafee anti virus through AOL plus Spysweeper running but I've been running both for a couple of months before things got so slow. I have also recently added frontpage 2000. I'm not even running fs2002,all I have is cfs2 right now. Thanks for any input.

Mythrilfan
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by Mythrilfan » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:18 pm

hit ctrl+alt+delete and choose the "processes" tab.

oh and try defragmenting, usually helps me a lot

bluetop
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

an even weirder problem

Post by bluetop » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:56 pm

o.k.,thanks i've defragged but its still slow,i'm going to try last good configuration,but check this out: this morning when i woke up the green light on the computer was on but the computer would not respond to the keyboard or the mouse[no yellow light] and the fan wasn't on.Thank god it was cold in my place. eventually I had to unplug the computer ,after a few seconds the light went out. then after sitting for a couple minutes it started with no problem. this has happened before but i thought it was from an electrical problem in my apartment. anyway this is a weird thing and i'm about to buy an external hard drive just to save everything if this thing fries.

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:41 pm

Good idea...sounds like you will forced into an upgrade. Not a good thing when components start shutting down randomly.

Exx