The next step in the upgrade process...

Got the best performer PC around? post your config here.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

UncleVito
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

The next step in the upgrade process...

Post by UncleVito » Tue May 30, 2006 6:29 am

Hi everybody.

First of all I'd like to thank you guys for the advice given a few weeks back regarding the upgrade of my pc to improve visual quality and fps.

In the meanwhile I have been saving up some €, and upgraded my CPU a while ago. Instead of the celeron 2.5Ghz I had, I'm now on a P4 3ghz emt64.

Regarding the videocard (I had a ati 9550 with 256mb agp) you told me that given my budget, the best I could afford would be a Nvidia 6600GT AGP with 128MB DDR3 , which I bougth and installed last saturday.

While the cpu upgrade gave me a huge increase in fps (about 50-60% in dense areas, and 70-80% at e.g. FL300), I was maybe expecting to much from the 6600GT. With this new card added to my system, I only notice a slightly better framerate here, about 10% in dense areas like chicago or seattle, 20% at FL300).

Anyway, I'm still suffering some framerate drops when switching views, and at that time I often notice large pieces of the land-surface in 1 color, for sometimes more than 1 second before the textures are mapped.

Could this have anything to do with the amount of RAM I have installed?
Currently 1 gig. Would an upgrade to 1.5 gig or 2 gigs (wich is the maximum I can install on my mobo) be a sollution for what appears to be some kind of delay in ground-texture loading?

PS: I'm running Ground Environment (from the makers of Flight Environment), World Landscapes (enhanced mesh), and the 737 from PMDG, with several other add-on scenery, as well as an AI Traffic add-on.

Thanks in advance for your good advice, and again thanks for the advice previously given!

Best regards,
Uncle Vito!

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Tue May 30, 2006 1:24 pm

This might be of some interest to you:

http://forums.surclaro.com/ftopic5234.h ... ht=delayed
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case
Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W - PSU
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H AMD 790GX - Motherboard