Twist Joystick

Install help, recommend it, hate it, all about game controlers.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, skipperdan

Emphyrio
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Twist Joystick

Post by Emphyrio » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:31 pm

Here's one:
I have a joystick, it's an old MS Sidewinder that you had to have an adaptor to use with USB. Yeah, old. I thought about upgrading to a newer model but, as usual with things nowdays, you can't try something before you buy it. The thing I like about the Sidewinder is it has a real good throw on the twist, what I mean is it twists almost 90deg one way and the other. The thing I DON'T like about it is that, apparently, FS doesn't take notice of the fact that rudder is being input from the thing till it gets out to about 10-12 deg. Then it alluvasudden jumps. This does not make for smooth rudder operation. I'd like to improve that. I glommed a Saitek stick but its throw is quite a bit less than the Sidewinder and is, apparently, made for lightning reflex kids flying F-22s. Me, I'm an old cat flying airliners and just wanting to do a decent crosswind every once in awhile. Oh, and yes, I have gone into what little setup and calibration I have with the thing (the original software disc is probably at the bottom of a pile right around Jurassic depth) and it doesn't seem to matter to FS. Oh yes, and all the airplanes I fly seem to have the same symptom. Any help would be celebrated in song and feasting.

Behrentzs
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by Behrentzs » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:56 pm

I have a Saitek stick, pretty decent. BUT, a friend recommended me to buy a CH Yoke, and BOY! I can tell you a difference! It's 1000 times more realistic to use a yoke and pedals for the big boys than a little stick. Just to give you my point of view. (Oh, and you can get a bundle with a yoke and pedals for about 150 $. The saitek one. : here)

Cheers
Behrentzs
JAA PPL Trainee

mel wilson
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by mel wilson » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:07 pm

I have the Sidewinder 2 f/f.......... Nobody, but NOBODY, will ever prise it from my sweaty palm, I simply love it, it does everything I ask of it. And this is why I cannot understand why you are having the problem you say you are, please make sure you have it set up properly, it should not give the problems you report.

BTW. I will be moving this topic to Controllers & Game Pads as soon as you have replied.

Mel.
Last edited by mel wilson on Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

heeshung
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by heeshung » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:16 pm

The first thing that comes to mind are the joystick's deadzone or nullzone, and it's sensitivity. Try the FS2004 settings or the joystick settings.
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)
4096MB Corsair Dominator DDR2 @1066MHz (5-5-5-15) 2.1V
Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 32MB Cache
2x NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 512MB G92 Core in SLI
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR PSU [80A]
Acer X223W 22" 16:10 Widescreen TFT LCD
Azalia HD Audio Connected to 5.1 Channel Harmon/Kardon Surround System and Plantronics GameCom 377 Headset
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Razer Lachesis 4000dpi 3G Laser [Philips Twin-Eye] Wraith Red Edition Gaming Mouse
EVGA nForce 780i SLI FTW Special Edition Mainboard 132-YW-E178-A1
Antec Twelve-Hundred Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7000) (7000.winmain_win7beta.081212-1400)

rd

Post by rd » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:57 am

Have to agree with heeshung. Try recalibrating your stick. I have the same thing, and never had a problem with it.

You can recalibrate it either through FS9 or through the stick settings.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Yeah, like I said, it's an old stick and I have no idea where the original disk is. As far as calibrating the thing, I go to the only calibration screen I can find (which consists of some red bands...that actually move *gasps*) and it telleth me that when I move the stick, in any direction, the graphic responds. This means to me that there is output from the stick but whatever is on the other end is not picking up on it efficiently. I guess that would be FS9 or it could be the various planes (who all seem to have different and varied rudder and nosewheel responses from each other), so I will try to find out where that is.
I have the Yoke....from CS. I also have Saitek's pedals. I can't use the pedals because, my legs shake on the things. I have no idea why this should be but I think it can be attributed to yet another fun thing about getting older. So the yoke sits unused too....and that ain't no yoke. (yes, I know you saw that one coming)
Mel: I will look up the Sidewinder 2 ff. Whatever that is. And thank you for moving my post and not charging me for the extra armoir.

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:46 pm

Emphyrio wrote: Mel: I will look up the Sidewinder 2 ff. Whatever that is. And thank you for moving my post and not charging me for the extra armoir.
Waddya mean, Not charging you......... your bill is aready in the post !

It's the Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback.

This is the set-up area you need to be able to get too.....

Mel.
Attachments
09-27-2007_22-53-56.png
09-27-2007_22-53-46.png
09-27-2007_22-53-38.png
09-27-2007_22-53-28.png
09-27-2007_22-53-19.png
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:02 pm

Interesting thread....and unless you have a really bad or really dead joystick you should be able to get it responding the way you like. I say this because if I remember correctly, the default settings in the 'Sensitivities' page of FS9's settings leaves room both ways for adjustment of the null zone and the actual sensitivity of your stick. In my opinion, once the joystick has been calibrated successfully once for your PC set up, the FS9 Sensitivities section is where you will find the last resort for your fine tuning and hopefully ultimate satisfaction. Just wanted to chime in and say that quite a difference can be made within FS9's own settings. Best of luck bringing the 'joy' back to your joystick. :)

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:06 am

one possible solution that you might want to look into, is the "REALISM SETTINGS"... (see pic provided below) I have to play with these settings when i want to fly helo's cause if i have them at 100% the helo gets all haywire and squirrelly on me and I can not control it. FOR ME .... HELOs = 25% or less on these settings... Anything else = 100%

i dont know if you have already tried these, but its worth a try
Attachments
Toutorial 3.JPG
settings 3
Toutorial 2.JPG
settings 2
Toutorial 1.JPG
settings 1