USB Problem

Install help, recommend it, hate it, all about game controlers.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, skipperdan

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

USB Problem

Post by jaeger52 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:57 am

I've also got two joysticks. MS Sidewinder Precision 2 (USB) and a MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Force Feedback (USB).

For time out of mind, I've been having an ongoing problem with my MS Sidewinder Precision 2 (which I like to use with the laptop). More often than not, whenever I plug the stick into a USB port (on either computer) nothing happens. It's like the USB Hub isn't recognizing the stick. I've sat for literally hours on end, plugging in and unplugging the stick. On very rare occasions I hit paydirt and get that little "bee-boop" sound when WindowsXP recognizes a new piece of hardware. I've tried all USB ports on both computers and it's always the same thing. And when I do hit paydirt, I'll then pick up the stick to use it, and just that little bit of movement causes Windows to "bee-bunk" telling me the connection is lost.

And then on extremely rare occasions, I'll plug the stick in and XP recognizes it no problem and it will work just fine for several days, several weeks even.

Jeez, I've even heard XP lose the connection for no reason at all even when I don't touch the stick!!!

I've plugged other USB devices into the same ports and they are always immediately recognized!

The thing that bugs me is that the stick is a Microsoft product that Microsoft WindowsXP doesn't recognize!

It's the damndest thing!

I've tried to install the joystick via Control Panel / Game Controllers and this is what I get in response (see pic)

Any suggestions?
Attachments
USB.JPG
Bruce aka Jaeg-

Project Developer:
- Around The World Search / Madeleine McCann

mel wilson
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by mel wilson » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:18 pm

Bruce.

I have the Sidewinder FF 2. had it from new, never had a problem like yours. Did you get the installation disc with it, and have you loaded it, I know a lot of people seem to have lost theirs, or dont bother, I know it should work without, but if you have, it may be worth a try.

Mel.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:30 pm

Installed MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Controller software, but no help.

Went through all the troubshooter tips as able and no dice!

Jaeg-
Bruce aka Jaeg-

Project Developer:

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:00 pm

Is the USB plug on the stick ok, if everything else is ok in the skt, then it has to point to the stick itself

Mel.

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:34 pm

Yeah, I think it's a dead duck. Too bad, I like that stick! I don't know if it would do for me to wire in a plug from some other USB device? It's worth a shot 'fore I throw the thing out the window!

Trouble is, I don't have another USB device I want to sacrifice. Well, maybe Radio Shack will have a ready to wire USB plug.

I had a lot of good years with that stick. Can't imagine what happened to it to cause it not to be recognized!

Ahh well...

Jaeg-
Bruce aka Jaeg-

Project Developer:

Boldpilot
SurClaro senior forum member

USB Problem

Post by Boldpilot » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:48 pm

Hi Guys, I have had that problem before . If I started the computer with the joystick not plugged into the USB it wouldn't work so now it is my first check if i'm going to use the Flight Sim. BP

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:55 pm

BP,

Thank you for replying, but I'm a little confused about what you just said.

Am I reading you correctly....?

That I should restart with the stick plugged in, or without? Actually, I have done both, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I've tried cleaning the USB plug with a cotton swap, rinsed it with compressed electronic component spray (smells like lighter fluid, sort of), but all USB ports on both computers fail to recognize it.

I'm gonna drop $7 or $8 bucks and get a USB to mini USB cable and see if I can perform some surgery in the next day or two. Has anyone of you ever sliced into a USB cable? Would you care to guess how many wires might be found inside?

Jaeg-
Attachments
ATT00025.jpg
"Yep, she's sunk, alright!
Bruce aka Jaeg-

Project Developer:

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:17 pm

Bruce, at a guess, I wouldn't say more then 5.

Mel.

Boldpilot

USB Problem

Post by Boldpilot » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:36 pm

HI, I meant it had to be plugged in at startup.
I like the aircraft in the creek . "Did it jump or was it pushed".BP

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:22 pm

Nothin' to lose, I guess...so, here goes!

I've just snipped the cable 1/4 inch above the USB connector.

Next: I've carefully stripped off approximately 1/2 inch of the outer plastic sheathing, revealing a collection of perhaps twenty five or thirty thin silver colored wires wound around what appears to be a kind of thin, but resilient foil like wrapping. I suspect that the silver wires represent "ground", but the foil has me caught off guard! Hopefully it's only another layer of sheilding and not critical to connectivity, but just in case, I have carefully folded it aside.

Next: With a sharp Exacto blade, I've very carefully sliced through the foil wrapping down the length of the wire to expose its innards!

Foil wrapping peeled and folded aside, exposing four plastic shielded inner wires. Red, black, white, red, green. Very thin stuff!

Using the Exacto, I carefully cut back about 1/8 inch of plastic shielding from the "white" wire, revealing what appears to be approximately eight to twelve brass colored wires.

"I think I can do this!"

The only think that concerns me is the foil wrapping. What purpose does it serve? Some sort of barrier against RF interference???

Jaeg- :lol:

[/i]
Bruce aka Jaeg-

Project Developer:

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:05 pm

that is exactly what it is. it is an interferance shield. (colored) "black" cable out of the controller (stick)... 1 layer of wrapped foil .... inside of there should be another layer of plastic coating containing 4 wires. your RED & BLACK = hot. White = neutral. and your Green = ground. in my world of electronics (waste pump stations) these are your basic wiring colors. (word of slight caution... this is in my world.... you may want to go back to RadioHack and pick up a voltage multimeter and check your wires for continuity and voltage just to make sure you are not going to melt your favorite toy when you plug it in [just in case you have a wire misled or connected wrong.])
Dell Inspiron 2200 Laptop
WINXP Home (sp3)
Intel Celeron M -- Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1396 Mhz
Total Physical Memory 1,280.00 MB
Video: Name Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
Sound: SigmaTel C-Major Audio

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:13 pm

jaeger52 wrote:Nothin' to lose, I guess...so, here goes!

I've just snipped the cable 1/4 inch above the USB connector.

Next: With a sharp Exacto blade, I've very carefully sliced through the foil wrapping down the length of the wire to expose its innards!

Foil wrapping peeled and folded aside, exposing four plastic shielded inner wires. Red, black, white, red, green. Very thin stuff!

Using the Exacto, I carefully cut back about 1/8 inch of plastic shielding from the "white" wire, revealing what appears to be approximately eight to twelve brass colored wires.

"I think I can do this!"

Jaeg- :lol:
[/i]
Bruce........ For god's sake man,,, DONT CUT THE RED ONE !..... It's a booby trap..................

fingers in ears.....

Mel. #-o

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:04 am

Yes, I do have a multi tester! Will replace battery and check for continuity. Good call Capt. Prop!

I don't know how to duplicate the foil sheilding unless RadioHack (haha) has something for it.

Depending on how things go, I'll report back tomorrow.

Mel, "You're a rascal!" :P

Jaeg-
Bruce aka Jaeg-

Project Developer: