What about a Steering Wheel as a gaming device

Install help, recommend it, hate it, all about game controlers.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, skipperdan

Raza Durrani
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

What about a Steering Wheel as a gaming device

Post by Raza Durrani » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:51 pm

I need to know if one can use the Wheel in place of a Yoke for playing flight Simualtor. Basically Wheels and associated pedals are made for racing car games like Need for Speed, but I was wondering if the same wheel can be used for playing FS. If some guys here have any ideas about this, or have ever used this device for FS, please let me know about their comments.
Thanks

skipperdan
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by skipperdan » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:51 pm

Unless you have a "Tilt Steering Wheel", I doubt if you would be able to change the "attitude" so that the aircraft will pitch up or down.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the manufactures make a steering wheel the moves in and out.

My CH Product Yoke and Rudders can be used for Flight Simulator or cars. I am still using the Gameport device vs USB. However, the USB probably offers the same capabilities. 8) 8)
I AM NOT A PILOT. I JUST LOVE AVIATION.

CAPTAIN--CIVIL AIR PATROL
...Emergency Services Training Officer
...Instructor at the Florida Wing Conference 2012.
...Mission Observer (front right seat)
...Air Operations Branch Director
...Flew several times in a Cessna 182 with G1000 (maintaining the MFD).
...Attended two day class conducted by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center
...Completed training for Flight Line Marshall, Flight Release Officer, and Mission Radio Operator.

You should visit your local Civil Air Patrol Squadron and complete an application for membership.
Please watch this video that my son made of a Discovery Flight from Albert Whitted Airport (my home base). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EMUg1jiCss
Please check out scenery that I helped develop for Albert Whitted Airport http://www.surclaro.com/download.php?query=KSPG&op=search&cid=
Check out this article in Air and Space Magazine concerning Albert Whitted Airport:
http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/The-Airport-That-Wouldnt-Die.html

Mythrilfan
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by Mythrilfan » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:30 pm

this is what i can say: i have a joystick and a wheel/pedals set. I fly with the joystick of course, but i tried the wheel out. the wheel itself ated as a yoke, and the tilting was controlled by the pedals. it was actually quite flyable. 100x better than arrow keys ;)

Raza Durrani
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by Raza Durrani » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:18 pm

Mythrilfan
You mentioned that the tilt was controlled by the pedals. Do you mean to say that you were turning the plane right and left with the pedals instead of the wheel????

Mythrilfan
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by Mythrilfan » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:13 pm

sorry, my mistake. by the tilting i meant elevator.

skipperdan

Post by skipperdan » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:49 pm

The short answer to your question is "NO". You should not try using an automotive steering wheel/pedals to fly an aircraft unless the devices are designed for both uses (as stated above for the CH Products). Please remember that the software that we us is called Microsoft Flight "Simulator". If you want to simulate flight then you should use the correct device.
1. Real pilots do not use a keyboard to move along the various axis.
2. If you have the correct amount of money to spend now then you should choose a good Joystick or Yoke/Rudders. I have both but have chosen to stick with the Yoke/Rudders because they are the correct device to simulate the aircraft that I prefer to fly.
3. If you wish to spend a little amount of money now and save up for better devices, then you can purchase a Joystick now and save up for Yoke/Rudders later. Joysticks are available in many different price ranges. Rather than buying the cheapest Joystick, you will be better off in the long run to purchase a Joystick with as many buttons and switches as you can afford. Once you program the buttons and switches to your liking, you will be very happy that you decided to spend a few extra dollars.

I wish you well in whatever decision you make. 8) 8)

...Completed training for Flight Line Marshall, Flight Release Officer, and Mission Radio Operator.

You should visit your local Civil Air Patrol Squadron and complete an application for membership.
Please watch this video that my son made of a Discovery Flight from Albert Whitted Airport (my home base). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EMUg1jiCss
Please check out scenery that I helped develop for Albert Whitted Airport http://www.surclaro.com/download.php?query=KSPG&op=search&cid=
Check out this article in Air and Space Magazine concerning Albert Whitted Airport:

JetRanger0007
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

flight sim yoke ??

Post by JetRanger0007 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:14 am

You might cruise thru E-Bay also,,, I seen some Flight Sim Yokes,, at fairly reasonable,, prices,,,, type in FLIGHT SIMULATOR in the search engine of E-Bay,,,,,, Also try,,, WWW.PCAVAITOR.COM

skipperdan

Post by skipperdan » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:24 am

Hey there JetRanger:

You made a great point about searching EBAY. I used EBAY to buy my Yoke and Rudders. It is also a good idea to do a search on
CH PRODUCTS

PS: Since I am an faithful subscriber to Computer Pilot Magazine, I can not resist pointing out (LOL) :lol: :lol: that you misspelled WWW.PCAVIATOR.COM.

PCAviator is the parent company of Computer Pilot Magazine. 8) 8)

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:58 am

good point jetranger... ebay has so many products... also, you can get a pretty good joystick at Wal+Mart
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case
Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W - PSU
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H AMD 790GX - Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Quad-Core - CPU
G.SKILL 4GB 240-Pin DDR2-800 - RAM
SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB - Graphics Card
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB - Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - Optical Drive
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating System

Richy2237
SurClaro senior forum member

Post by Richy2237 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:43 am

Hi Raza,

I have a Logitech MOMO wheel set for a racing sim. I purchased a CH yoke. In FS9 I use the yoke and the pedals from the wheel set for rudder control. Has been working great! The only thing I find with the pedals from my wheel set is that they are very sensitivite. I have the sensitivity in fs9 as low as it can go and still to sensitive but very usable. I dont know if this is the same with the CH pedals? Maybe someone that has them could comment on this issue.

Good luck to you in your purchase.

PS: I find it far more"realistic" with the yoke and pedals. I was using a joystick before I purchased the yoke... OH! no force feedback with the yoke and pedal setup either....Dont miss it though.

bluetop
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

JOYSTICK

Post by bluetop » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:49 am

YEA,just buy a joysick and make sure it has a hat switch[for all around views] and twist action for rudder. I personally like the logitech extreme 3d pro because I can abuse it in combat.There are many good joysticks out there. For about 35 to 45 dollers its more than worth the money because its just more convienient to have all the functions in one place.

Mythrilfan
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by Mythrilfan » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:15 pm

bluetop: i have the exact same joystick and im really pleased with it too. lately some buttons have started to strike, but it has 12 of them, so...

the main difference between the real plane pedals and car pedals is that whil car pedals go up/down, the cockpit pedals go back and forth for rudder and up/down for differential braking.

Raza Durrani
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by Raza Durrani » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:20 pm

Let me explain my problem. I do have a good quality Chesen Joystick with hat buttons for side views, thrust controller and brakes button, but somehow ( may be my inexperience or whatever), its extermely difficult with joystick to turn the aircraft maintaining the altitude unless the autopilot is on, and similarly while landing manually, it becomes difficult to bring the plane in line with the runway, specially when the runways dont have ILS. Somehow my intuition says that lateral alignment would be far easier with a flight yoke. Now the problem is that Flight Yokes are not available anywhere where I live, and buying via internet is also not feasible. I am only left to what is currently available in the market, and what we have here is Joysticks, game pads, and plenty of steering wheel, brakes, gear sets ( mainly made for Playstation) but varities are available. So I was planning to buy a Wheel instead, because the Joystick control is a bit jer.
From the discussion, I can interpret that one can still use the Steering wheel and pedals, although they would be different from Flight Yokes but still hopefully easier than Joystick to control......

Richy2237

Post by Richy2237 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:01 pm

You can use the wheel for aileron control, pedals for ruder and then assign a left and right button on the wheel for your elevator control. Just a thought!

Richy