RAM Question(s)

RAM, Video Cards, CPU Etc... get it or give it here...

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, gbesoain, Cat1

FSPilot06
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

RAM Question(s)

Post by FSPilot06 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:41 am

Hey everybody. Hope everyone's doing alright! Yes I'm back and I have a computer so I can flight sim it out. But there is one minor downfall this machine has-- only a measly 128MB of RAM. I have taken the side of my computer off to examine the internal organs and I noticed there are two RAM card ports. One of them is taken by the one that's in there now.

MY questions are: Will a RAM card with more capacity fit in these same RAM ports? Or does more mean bigger?

And--- How much would a RAM card generally cost?

Some System Specs

128MB RAM 1.80Ghz Intel celeron processer (sorry, I'll have more info soon)
Flying is not dangerous. If you don't trust something that has to be supported by air, stay out of a car unless it has solid tires. And believe me, those kind of tires don't ride good at all.

groundsquirrel
Forum Moderator - Master member
Forum Moderator - Master member

find out...

Post by groundsquirrel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:09 am

Find out what motherboard it is, go to the manufacturers web site to get the full specs. Or, use one of the freeware memory test/recommendation utilities available on the web from several of the memory manufacturers.
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

viche12345
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by viche12345 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:22 am

Welcome to the computer world FSPilot! Congratulations on your first step towards becoming a computer-tech geek (lol).... The cost of a RAM stick varies IMMENSELY. It all depends on the speed and type of RAM. Briefly, there are two types of commonly used RAM: DDR and DDR2. (There is a DDR3, but this is emerging technology and I would not recommend it at this point) Each is not cross-compatible. So primarily, you will need to find out what type of RAM your motherboard supports.

Secondly, determine what speed your motherboard supports.

A list of DDR speeds:
  • PC2100 (DDR-266)
  • PC2700 (DDR-333)
  • PC3200 (DDR-400) <--most common
A list of DDR2 speeds:
  • PC2-3200 (DDR2-400) <--seldomly used. Considered weaker than DDR-400!
  • PC2-4200 (DDR2-533) <--popular especially on older mobos
  • PC2-5300 (DDR2-667) <--most common
  • PC2-6300 (DDR2-800) <--for gamers!
IMPORTANT NOTE: Although RAM types (DDR vs. DDR2) are usually not backwards compatible, corresponding speeds ARE. For example, your computer manufacturer should provide you the "memory standard," or the RAM speed in which the motherboard runs. If you buy RAM clocked faster than the "memory standard," the motherboard will automatically underclock the RAM. But in order to save money, it is crucial to determine the right speed, as price generally increases as speed increases.

I recommend this site for further reading on PC Memory and how to save money:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/03/ ... index.html

Wow! I just kept rambling on and on and on. If this is too confusing for you, let us know. Perhaps someone else on this forum can nail down the really important facts. Good luck!
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

viche12345
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Re: find out...

Post by viche12345 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:25 am

groundsquirrel wrote:Find out what motherboard it is, go to the manufacturers web site to get the full specs. Or, use one of the freeware memory test/recommendation utilities available on the web from several of the memory manufacturers.
OMG! I forgot about the free memory scan tool by Crucial! It will make your life a lot easier, seriously.
http://www.crucial.com

Perform a free scan. Voila. Enjoy
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

FSPilot06

Post by FSPilot06 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:40 am

Crap! I don't know what is what all about bu this computer wouldn't load this on perticular web site for a while. Darn. Well, I appreciate the information guys. I found out a little more from a few of my computer-guy friends.
Flying is not dangerous. If you don't trust something that has to be supported by air, stay out of a car unless it has solid tires. And believe me, those kind of tires don't ride good at all.