DUAL PURPOSE MULTIPLE MONITORS

RAM, Video Cards, CPU Etc... get it or give it here...

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, gbesoain, Cat1

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

DUAL PURPOSE MULTIPLE MONITORS

Post by jaeger52 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:33 pm

I'm just about to put together a new Vista/DX10/FSX rig. Delivery of final parts expected on Monday 04/14/08.

Components for purposes of this thread:

MOBO:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Retail
Model #: GA-P35-DS3L

GRAPHICS:

XFX NVIDIA GeFORCE 8800GT PCIe 2.0
2 Dual-Link DVI outputs support two 2560x1600 resolution displays.
Includes 2 DVI to VGA gender swap connectors.

MONITORS:

Acer X241W 24" Flat Panel Display (1 DVI out, 1 VGA out).
Samsung SyncMaster 997DF Flat Panel (VGA out ONLY).

ULTIMATELY:

1. I would like to keep my WindowsXP Pro (FS9) computer connected to the 24" Acer display (can you blame me?).

2. I would like to have my new Vista system connected to both displays so that I can take advantage of two FSX screens at one time, simultaneously, using the 24" Acer to display panels and the 19" Samsung to display instruments, radios, etc.

I'm sure you guy's can see what I would LIKE to acheive, but whether it's possible or not is way out of my understanding!

If I can't get what I want, is there a next best scenario? 8O

Jaeg-

hime927
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Re: DUAL PURPOSE MULTIPLE MONITORS

Post by hime927 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:57 pm

jaeger52 wrote: Acer X241W 24" Flat Panel Display (1 DVI out, 1 VGA out).
Samsung SyncMaster 997DF Flat Panel (VGA out ONLY).

ULTIMATELY:

1. I would like to keep my WindowsXP Pro (FS9) computer connected to the 24" Acer display (can you blame me?).

2. I would like to have my new Vista system connected to both displays so that I can take advantage of two FSX screens at one time, simultaneously, using the 24" Acer to display panels and the 19" Samsung to display instruments, radios, etc.

I'm sure you guy's can see what I would LIKE to acheive, but whether it's possible or not is way out of my understanding!

If I can't get what I want, is there a next best scenario? 8O

Jaeg-
This is pretty much how I have my computers setup. The XP pc has 2 monitor slots on the video card. I bought a cheap KVM switch at best buy (I forget the regular price, I got it as an open box for a discount.). The KVM switch is hooked up to my Linux pc and Windows for the 1 monitor and for the second monitor, that's XP only.

This is the one that I bought: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 1384674619
It doesn't switch the speakers, which isn't a big deal for me.