Our beloved Huey is going away....for good

From a RC plane to a Jumbo Jet, get them cheap

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

Cobra Driver
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Our beloved Huey is going away....for good

Post by Cobra Driver » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:57 pm

Well, I just flew my last day flight in the workhorse and beloved machine which changed aviation, the way helicopters are viewed, utilized and respected worlwide.

As of 24 Sep. the Army is divesting itself of all Huey interests, at least at Rucker, and putting them in moth balls.

This is a hush hush topic and is not being publicized anywhere but it is what it is.

Just thought I would share with all that a piece of Americas history is being put to sleep......quietly.

Tomorrow I get my 2nd to last night flight and Thur. is it, she's gone.

CD
Pugnare, Fornicare Au Mort

Maxell
SurClaro senior forum member

Post by Maxell » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:03 pm

I know how you feel, especially if that is the first helicopter you flew with... :roll:

What are they replacing it with?

*Maxell*

Pilotwannabe

Re: Our beloved Huey is going away....for good

Post by Pilotwannabe » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:12 pm

Cobra Driver wrote:
Just thought I would share with all that a piece of Americas history is being put to sleep......quietly.

CD
That could be a topic on all its own.

ricktobin
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by ricktobin » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:24 pm

I know how you feel man. I entered the Army as a tanker on the M60 MBT, one helluva machine, although it's replacement (M1 Abrams) was the baddest tank in the world, I sure hated to see the M60 go.

The Huey has certainly earned it's place in military and aviation history, definately my favorite helo.

My first flight in a Huey was on our CG's bird leaving PLDC from Fort Benning going back home to Redstone *beep*, AL.

(The beep above is covering the remainder of the name of the army base...not a bad word.)

Cobra Driver
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by Cobra Driver » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:32 am

Here's the "BRILLIANT" part of the Army, now they are looking for an "off the shelf" aircraft to replace the Huey. A light-medium utility A/C to replace this beautiful fully functional machine because the Hawk is too much some places and not enough at others when compared to the Huey.

Absolutely brilliant...aren't they?

BTW now I get stuck flying that POC instead of the Horse
Pugnare, Fornicare Au Mort

groundsquirrel

Now I am going to cry....

Post by groundsquirrel » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:31 am

What a testament to the toymen at the top! It would have been relatively cheap to retool, lighten, modernize the mast and blades and upgrade the powerplant, but nooooooooooooo, we want a new toy! It is incredible how style over substance has invaded our military decision makers, but seeing what is being taught to our younger generation I am not very surprised. I guess they didnt "feeeeeeeel" that the Iriquois was representative of our modern military fighting machine. Okay, rant over.

As for an off the shelf replacement, about the only thing out there I can think of that there are still prduction facilities for is the JetRanger, while capable they have some payload and durability issues that might preclude them from choice. We have seen what happened with Buck Rogers' chopper ( the Comanche). They wasted billions on that boondoggle. Good research, however it doesnt address real world needs. I mean stealth is fine to a point, but when you're the baddest military machine on the planet why cant they all be red, white and blue with flames and pinstripes? I am the first to admit that a camo paint job looks cool, but does anybody really think that makes them invisible? Better to use the "zebra" method and confuse the eye to make targeting more difficult, the German navy experimented with this effect in WW2 with some success.

I will close with this thought: Tactical nuclear device. :twisted:
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

Left Flyer
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Post by Left Flyer » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:50 pm

Sad to hear about the Huey...my first memory of choppers was the UH and the sheer enormity of its role in the Vietnam conflict was tremendous... I remember seeing this video where a lot of these fine machines were literally dropped off ships to bury themselves in the deep blue sea just because US was then facing the problem of plenty at the end of teh conflict.. still makes me sad!

But GS you gotta agree that the camo job, although not really so useful on a heli, what with all that noise and low speeds, still is something all defense pilots and crews would insist upon. Considering the fact that a single life saved owing to a good camo job is worth the expense, effort and design..

BTW, why would anyone spend over a billion on a machine like the comanche when the primary purpose of an attack chopper would be to blow up tanks and troops (fat chance that they are ALL gonna be equipped with state-of-the-art radars...esp in places like Iraq and Afghanistan!)? Wont the F117's take care of the installations?!

All the best CD with your new mean (!) machines...hope u enjoy the glass cockpit and seatbelt warnings!
Peace is our profession...Bombing is just a hobby!

Insured Disaster

Post by Insured Disaster » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:57 pm

Its not so much the vehicles I would think, but SAM sites and other early radar detection systems. Not sure though.
Signature changed to avoid offending anyone.
LOL

groundsquirrel

Just a little clarification,

Post by groundsquirrel » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:28 am

The reason the birds were dumped overboard so unceremoniously was due to lack of deck space and the need to clear the deck for more incoming aircraft during the evacuation/pullout. Also, I reiterate: Tactical nuclear device :twisted:
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.