Blue Angels and others.

From a RC plane to a Jumbo Jet, get them cheap

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

greenberetgopher
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Blue Angels and others.

Post by greenberetgopher » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:54 pm

Has anybody seen the Blue Angels or anything like that? I saw them in Pensacola, Florida when I was in scouts a couple years ago, I have a feelin you saw them then GS. It was awesome!! One flew around 50 feet off the beach and nearly broke the sound barrier 'cause I saw that cloud thing that goes over the plane when it breaks the sound barrier. My dad was even luckier because his dad was a contractor for the USAF and they came to the base he was at and he got to get in the cockpit when he was a kid.
"Law is mind without reason."
-Aristotle

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."
-Confucius

paulvil
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by paulvil » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:40 pm

You know that they have a full rescue team that travels with them... I guess that is logical, but I never thought about it
Mmm, 3.14159...

greenberetgopher

Post by greenberetgopher » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:29 am

Yeah, that's a good idea. Personally, I wouldn't want to rescued alive from a crash in F/A-18, 'cause it would be bad and I wouldn't want to live like that.

groundsquirrel
Forum Moderator - Master member

of course...

Post by groundsquirrel » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:01 am

Of course I see them, every time they fly in and every time they fly out. Also, when they practice, they have to come over my way to turn around during their passes. Earlier this year, I finally got to see the Thunderbirds in their F-16's which I hadnt before. So to sum it up, I have seen the Blue Angels in:

Skyhawks, Phantoms, and Hornets

I have seen the Thunderbirds in:

F-100 Super Sabres, Phantoms, Talons and now Falcons

I have also seen the Italian Frecce Tricolori, the Canadian Snowbirds and while my dad was stationed at Kadena AB, Okinawa used to watch SR-71 operations when I wasnt in school. There was a raised grassy area south of the runway that allowed you to see the entire runway and everthing coming and going...what a sight.
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

greenberetgopher

Post by greenberetgopher » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:06 am

Lucky :roll: . They must still be stationed in penesacola, I thought they moved.
-Aristotle

-Confucius

groundsquirrel

nope,

Post by groundsquirrel » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:47 am

Nope, Pensacola Naval Air Station is home base for the Blue Angels.

ricktobin

Post by ricktobin » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:58 am

...yep, and when their home got hit by the hurricane last year, their demonstration was cancelled up here at NAS Oceana.

Hopefully we'll see them this year.

groundsquirrel

even with...

Post by groundsquirrel » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:23 am

Even with Pensacola beach still in a bit of a shambles, they went ahead with the July 4th show. So you should get to see them on their regular date unless they changed the scedule.

greenberetgopher

Post by greenberetgopher » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:43 am

It would be awesome to be with the Blue Angels 8) . I'm not going to be in the Navy though, I'm not that short. If I go into the service, it will probably be the air force so I can get into a good college and get my pilots license for free since I'm just a poor Alabama hillbilly (not really, but I am poor) and can't afford to get my license or buy a plane. If I go into the air force then I can be with the Thunderbirds. Has anyone ever seen the Blue Angels do the Crossover Roll. It's where two Hornets fly parallel of each other and then the a/c on the right breaks left and the one on the left breaks right and they nearly touch and then they gain altitude at about 45 degrees in a spiral. The first time I saw them do that I thought they had collided. But my favorite maneuvers are the Delta Vertical Break and the Fleur-de-Lis, which are too complicated for me to explain, but maybe somebody knows what I'm talking about.
-Aristotle

-Confucius

brettr10
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by brettr10 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:54 pm

I've seen them all except the Blue Angels, the pilots fly with a spring loaded stick constantly pushing the plane over, so they have their work cut out just keeping the plane level. I'd love to see them, one day!

But I must say that the best teams I have seen are the T-birds and without doubt the Red Arrows. The Red Arrows never leave you with nothing to look at, there is always something going on in front of you for a long and very dynamic and professional display. Which is something that no other team in the world does or can match.

nemesis1900
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by nemesis1900 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:30 pm

This post is at least a year later after the last, but oh well, I just want to mention my good luck of being able to see either the blue angels and thunderbirds at least 2 times a year... The Rochester Airshow for sure and sometimes the Schenectady Airshow...I know its not a lot, but its constant and always a blast when the time comes.

lortiawhak
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by lortiawhak » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:48 pm

saw them practicing today :D
pretty cool
Surgeon General's Warning:
Posts by Lortiawhak are always truthful. Use at your own risk!!

viche12345
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by viche12345 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:42 am

Lortiawhak, I saw them too in San Diego. I was on my way to violin lessons when I saw 4 blue angles flying in unison over my head! My brother and I plugged my ears in shock. I've never seen those kind of planes fly so low. Anyways, as I approached my violin teacher's house, the teacher ran out and looked into the sky and saw nothing. She said her house shook vigorously. I had to explain everything.

It's cool to see military planes fly once in a while. However, they are extremely loud. I have a sensitive ear and cannot listen to fireworks or other types of extremely loud or sharp sounds. However, I have perfect pitch because of my sensitive ears :D !
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

rd

Post by rd » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:57 am

Air shows, gotta love them.

I have seen everything from the first Thunderbirds and Blue Angels, to their current. Was in Italy in 1976, when the Thunderbirds flew thier first routine ever in Italy, Aviano AFB that is. July 4, for the bicentennial. They also had the Frecce Tri Colori there doing thier thing. Way more dangerous than the US flies.

I now live by Offut AFB, Omaha, Nebraska, SAC Command. They switch off on the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels every other year. I have seen the Red Arrows here 3-5 times, at least, very cool. The Canadian Snow birds were here, again, doing their thing. Classic birds they are.

I can go on and on. The best Air Force Museum, and a couple other branches, is here, period. We have a SR-71 hanging above you when you walk in. It is 3 levels high with a reconditiong/rebuilding area that you can see and watch as the redo some awesome birds of old.

Ardie/rd
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

ricktobin

Post by ricktobin » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:11 am

Me and my two sons saw the Blue Angels for the ??? time just a couple of weeks ago.

This time we decided instead of fighting the crowds to get on the base, we'd sit on the side of a road that runs right next to the end of RWY5 @ KNTU.

What a seat!! Instead of watching them fly across in front of you, they were right over our heads the whole time. It was a perspective that at first, I didn't think would be much different from sitting in the grandstands, I was definately wrong.

millerpede
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by millerpede » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:30 pm

I have never seen any of those, but I have seen the Red Arrows.

Hopefully I will get to see some of the ones listed above (Blue Angels etc) at the RIAT
Go to M77 and look for Millerpede's Abyss, another that was discovered by someone else is SESM

brettr10
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by brettr10 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:37 pm

You won't see the Blue Angels at Fairford unfortunately and I would have thought that seeing the Thunderbirds would be a miracle as well. But you will see all the others from Europe. Well, hopefully anyway.

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:47 pm

I saw the Snowbirds do their thing over the lake at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto and they were great, I hadn't seen an air show since I was a little kid. The thing that stayed with me this time though, was when 2 other planes came out and did a routine in a big circle around the lake and over the skyscrapers of T.O.. When they first came into view (seemingly out of nowhere) I was sure that it was an aircraft with another aircraft piggybacked on it somehow and it took a few seconds to register..a P-51 thrumming along with an F-18 (I think) in perfect harmony, about a foot or so apart. They just played with each other with ease, in slo-mo, circling the area, then they would just switch to let the other be the piggy-backer. Not much will get my jaw to drop. Jeff Beck did it for me live... and I'll never forget those 2 skilled pilots!

Honest! It didn't look like you could fit a beachball between these planes, the fighter jet must have had full flaps engaged, a master's touch on the throttle 'n' stick, and eyes in 3 places at once, and the P - 51 pilot was someone famous I think, a skilled pro....too cool.

crazydunc
SurClaro senior forum member

Post by crazydunc » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:26 pm

During RIAT 06 we had the Red arrows and loadsa of otha Military planes come ova my house low enough to hit wit a tennis ball, me and my lil bro sat out in the garden in Deck chairs and we watched em come over and the last plane through in the red arrows waved his wings and as he turned { above us } we saw him wave, tht was soo kool, we stood out therre as C-17s Kc-10s and loadsa otha planes came ova and got waved at and all! lol :lol: 8)
Dunc

vRAF

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:47 pm

That's going to be a cool memory for you and your little bro, eh? A personal wing-wag is really neat! Thanks for sharing. 8)

dudler
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by dudler » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:03 am

My dad was chief opthalmologist for the RCAF here in Montreal and when I was younger he took me to all the Snowbirds shows here and in Ottawa.

Nice little jets those CT-114 Tutors.

Rock-Head

Post by Rock-Head » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:04 pm

Saw the Angels back in 1968 when I was 5. Been hooked ever since. Saw the T-Birds in the mid-80's at Dover AFB.

Both have web sites where you can find their schedueles. Not too hard to find.

Being able to see those fantastic birds in flight is a dream come true for most of us. If you ever get a chance to go see them, do it. It will be a memory that you keep with you for the rest of your life.

I met a pilot sitting next to his F-15 at Dover AFB. He was obviously ticked off because he was on the ground and the T-Birds were getting all the glory. When I asked him what he thought of the F-16's, he told me he could, "Shoot every one of those tin cans out of the sky before they ever even knew he was there." I believe he wanted to... He was not a happy man.

Rock-Head

crazydunc

Post by crazydunc » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:35 pm

lol
"Sidewinder Means you dont have to say your sorry" lol

:lol:

sumtimes the Red arrows use this valley{i live at the top} to practice there stuff, lol. quite cool. dunno y they dont use harriers, more manuvarible?
Last edited by crazydunc on Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dunc

vRAF

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:52 pm

Oh great Rock-Head, bored fighter pilots with a grudge, you sure you didn't tweak him up a bit? :lol: :lol: :lol:

breven52
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by breven52 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:43 pm

did you all no that the angels get the f18 at the end of their military career as us navy aircraft ...in otherwords they get the oldest planes ....some guy at the musemum of navel avation told me that

crazydunc

Post by crazydunc » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:03 pm

tht makes sense, cos you have to strip them of there weapons stuff dont ya, y do tht to a brand new bird when you can take a old one thts done its time?
Dunc

vRAF

Rock-Head

Post by Rock-Head » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:04 pm

The Angels web site talks about how the best planes are reserved for combat pilots. Yes, it would appear that the Angels get the old dogs. However, an Angels F-18 can be made combat ready in about a day or less.

Yes Harkonnen, he did say that. And he did not have a smile on his face. He also gave me a lecture about how superior the F-15 is. He also let me sit in the cockpit which I thought was pretty cool. Eat your heart out! :P

Rock-Head