Dover Del. C-5 Crash

From a RC plane to a Jumbo Jet, get them cheap

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

Pcgames2
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Dover Del. C-5 Crash

Post by Pcgames2 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:13 pm

Here are some photos that I took of the C-5 that crashed April 3 2006 no one was killed.
Attachments
47.JPG
52.JPG
44.JPG
23.JPG
33.JPG
26.JPG

Behrentzs
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by Behrentzs » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:26 pm

Holy s***!

Did the cocpit breack off, or did they cut it off afterwards??

Cheers
Behrentzs
JAA PPL Trainee

Pcgames2

It broke off on impact

Post by Pcgames2 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:23 pm

The cockpit broke off on impact all photos shown above were taken a few days after it had crashed when they reopened the road that sits in-between the field were it crashed and the runway. On the morning of April the third 06 the plane took off from Dover air force base with 17 People onboard heading for Spain. Shortly after takeoff the pilot reported a problem with one of the engines and turn back to make emergency landing and crashed just short of the runway 15 minutes after takeoff. The investigators said that cause of the crash was pilot error. The engine problem was nothing more than a faulty gauge. Months later the plane was cut up and recycled the cockpit was removed and will be used to test new flight systems for the C-5's.
Attachments
Clean up 2.JPG
Here is another photo that I took of the clean up.
Clean up 1.JPG
Here is another photo that I took of the clean up.
Crash Site.JPG
This is were the plane crashed

Behrentzs
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by Behrentzs » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:37 pm

Just a faulty gauge?! Omg, that's what I call a great pilot if he couldn't even get it down (sonds like the engines were working!)

Cheers
Behrentzs
JAA PPL Trainee

Pcgames2

What Happend

Post by Pcgames2 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:37 pm

The accident investigation board determined the pilots and flight engineers did not properly configure, maneuver and power the aircraft during the landing.

Following a normal takeoff and initial climb, the C-5 aircrew observed a No. 2 engine “Thrust Reverser Not Locked” indication light. They shut down the No. 2 engine as a precaution and returned to Dover AFB. The board determined that during the return to the base:

The pilots and flight engineers continued to use the shut-down No. 2 engine’s throttle while leaving the fully-operational No. 3 engine in idle.

Both instructor and primary flight engineers failed to brief, and pilots failed to consider and use, a proper flap setting.

The pilots’ attempt at a visual approach to runway 32 resulted in the aircraft descending well below a normal glidepath for an instrument-aided approach or the normal visual flight rules pattern altitude.

The aircraft commander failed to give a complete approach briefing that would have included non-standard factors, configuration, landing distance and missed approach intentions

Brand new the C-5B costs around $175 Million (thats a lot of bread :!: ) and in scrap about $60,000 to $80,000. An estimated 10,000 gallons of aviation fuel -- more than a tanker truckload -- spilled during the crash contaminating soil and threatening groundwater.
No new specs yet I seem to in little bit of a pickle the mother B on eMachines T6532 its junk and supposedly gos bad after 2yr. Which has me worried ($200 Part) and not to mention the switch to DTV so my analog tuner cards gotta go.

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:39 pm

My first thought was 'Better spilled than ignited'...could have been a lot worse, eh? A lot of lucky folks sitting around worrying about costs & messes to clean up. :wink:

Pcgames2

You bet!

Post by Pcgames2 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:25 pm

Good thing the ground was wet plus there's a house close to were it hit the ground. The only thing it struck was a telephone pole. The Dover Air fire crew were on the seen in minutes followed by local paramedics and fire co.'s the respounce was smooth. More than 100 emergence Personel responded.
No new specs yet I seem to in little bit of a pickle the mother B on eMachines T6532 its junk and supposedly gos bad after 2yr. Which has me worried ($200 Part) and not to mention the switch to DTV so my analog tuner cards gotta go.