Search For Madeleine McCann / Ground Support Forum

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, skipperdan

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Search For Madeleine McCann / Ground Support Forum

Post by jaeger52 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:40 am

<center>Image

IS PROUD TO ANNOUNCE AN
AROUND THE WORLD FLIGHT EVENT!

OPEN TO ALL FS9/FS2004 ENTHUSIASTS, EVERYWHERE!
FOR THE EXPRESS PURPOSE OF RAISING PUBLIC AWARENESS TO THE PLIGHT OF
MISSING CHILDREN AND THEIR FAMILIES ALL AROUND THE WORLD!

Our Poster Child for purposes of this event is 4 year old Madeleine McCann, who went missing from
Praia Da Luz, Portugal on 03/05/07, and sadly remains missing to this day!

Madeleine McCann

What can flight simulation enthusiasts do to help?

Join This Event!

FIND MADELEINE / AROUND THE WORLD SEARCH
(Sorry, but we have no plans to support MS FSX at this time.)</center>

Please note: This event is intended as a liesurely, open ended flight event with no time restrictions being considered at this time. This is not a race to see who crosses the finish line first! All pilots are advised to take their time and enjoy the sights along the way!

FS Pilots
As many FS pilots that have valiantly attempted an around the world flight, few have succeeded because the challenge is definitely not as easy as one might think! Left to your own devices, an around the world flight can be a mighty lonely process and with little else but personal satisfaction as a reward at the end. However, it is not our intention to send you on a yet another long, lonely 'round the world flight! This time around, you'll be doing it for a wonderful cause! And if that's still not enough to convince you to sign on with us, what if you had the full support of Team SurClaro© with you every mile of the way? Yep, that's right! All you have to do is join our Ground Support Forum and you're covered!

The Challenge
Fly Team SurClaro's© official aircraft of choice for this event: the Beech King Air B300. Poignantly painted and specially configured for this very special event! Yes, of course you can fly any aircraft you wish, but the idea here is to show your support in raising public awareness to the plight of missing children by flying Madeleine McCann's image around the world!

<center>Image</center>

At the present time there are currently two (2) fully supported flight plan options available to every registered pilot:

1) Design your own course around the world and register your flight parameters with Team SurClaro© before you begin. Challenging enough, right?

<center>But if you're looking for "As Real As It Gets," then there's no question that you'll want to...</center>

2) Download Ardie/RD's "Maddie's Adventure Flights". "Imagine every time you climb into the cockpit, you'll never know what's going to happen or when! And that's just the beginning! I honestly can't divulge more than that because RD has been holding his cards pretty close to his chest!" For those of you who may not know, Ardie/RD, is none other than SurClaro's© "Top Dog" Forum Moderator!

All you have to do is download RD's "Maddie's Adventure Flights" when they are uploaded each Friday on the website!

<center>Please join us in this heartfelt event and visit:

http://www.findmadeleine.com

Often!
(And please consider a generous donation for Madeleine and her family)

"What's In Your Heart?"

For complete information please go to:

http://maddiesearch.hopto.org/

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:02 pm

Seems as if my graphics or textures are a bit off, possibly weather, too? :(

The following screenshot was taken at 10,000 feet, about 15 minutes out of Leicester (EGBG), United Kingdom. Horizon is blurred and I should think the ground textures would look better than this at 10,000 feet. I don't know what the weather should look like at this point in time and space (RD).

Observations, suggestions?

Jaeg-
Attachments
textures.JPG
Bruce aka Jaeg-

Project Developer:
- Around The World Search / Madeleine McCann

Cat1
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by Cat1 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:18 am

Jaeg,
That is planned. If you are flying RD's flight, how did you do on the take off.
If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:56 am

I slewed "the Maddie" over to a general aviation ramp and configured for taxi, set up gps, etc. Because of the "socked in weather and rainfall, I filed an IFR flight plan down to Faro.

Taxiing was very difficult due to very strong ground level winds. For the first time (other than flying tail-draggers) I had to make heavy use of F11/F12 braking to augment my nose wheel turning. That was my first clue that I was operating in one heck of a crosswind situation!

At the hold short, I must admit that I paused my flight and cruised on over to http://www.kingschools.com/webVideo/VideoArchives.asp where I watched John King perform the Demo Crosswind Takeoff.

Back in the VCockpit, the take off roll saw me hard over on rudder and ailerons as per John King's advice.

On my first takeoff attempt, I was actually able to follow the runway pretty well, but I found myself so busy with dealing with the crosswind effects on the control surfaces, that I failed to raise flaps [entirely], and also failed to provide enough back pressure on the stick. Lost airspeed and lift and crashed into some buildings a mile or so from the runway.

My second take off roll had me frantically trying to correct my previous mistakes. I fared poorly tracking the runway. I was all over the runway surface for watching my instruments a bit closer trying to keep things under control until I had rotation speed. After take off, I found that my speed and inertia made things a little easier to manage the control surfaces.

Up, up and awaaaaay!

When my intruments told me that I was climbing at a safe rate of speed and not descending, I quickly stabbed the Auto Pilot Altitude function to help stabilize my climb out and allowed myself a single breath of air.

I went 2D Cockpit at this point with my MS Sidewinder Force Feedback stick leaping aft then port, then starb'd, in my hands while I struggled to follow IFR instructions to 10,000 feet. I eventually broke through the clouds into clear blue; my eyes practically popping out of my skull, I found my GPS track, set my AP Heading toward the GPS track and then began scrambling for my Lurch Bag!

Fifteen minutes out of Leicester, I saved my flight to send my previous post and screenshot. I will resume the flight when able.

I'm only fifteen minutes out and already reaching for my seasick bag!

Jaeg-
Bruce aka Jaeg-

Project Developer:

rd

Post by rd » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:18 am

@Yaeger

Sorry I missed your first post on the graphics side. Cat1 is right, that is what your supposed to see. Plus the fact, the weather is better above the clouds.

he-he............. :twisted:

Your kidding??? !!!!! Never... EVER....had to take off with crosswinds ???? he-he-he....

Well, I am glad you finally got off the ground, and almost to altitude (remember...cruise is 33,000 ft for all flights.....if you dare).
Otherwise, I am glad your ENJOYING (???) your flight. Barf bags are on your left, if you need 2 or 3. I have saved 2-4 other flights, that should really make your, you know what pucker. But those are for later, much later (???)

When you get to your destination, remember one thing. A killer grip is a good thing to have. A prayer or two may be needed too.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:31 pm

A very busy holiday has prevented me from getting here, now that it's over, I can look forward to testing my Stomach....... Brucie, hope your gonna clean that mess up, it will be a smelly first leg otherwise :lol:

Mel.
Last edited by mel wilson on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:18 pm

I wish I could join
my computer is all crapped and I get BSODs in FS now...
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case
Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W - PSU
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H AMD 790GX - Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Quad-Core - CPU
G.SKILL 4GB 240-Pin DDR2-800 - RAM
SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB - Graphics Card
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB - Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - Optical Drive
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating System

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:02 pm

Sat, 09:00 29/12/2007

Finally, I climbed aboard the trusty Beech, equipped with thermos and a few snacks for the first leg of this epic journey. Family and a few friends to wave me off, (I think, cos I could not actually see them in the foul weather).

Fired up the engines, all checks completed, I taxied to the runway,... *beep*, don’t remember weather like this for quite sometime, 9am in the morning, and it’s windy, wet and miserable.

As soon as I started to roll, I felt the crosswind Jaeg warned me about, pretty strong as I struggled to hold the centre line, lifted off, into a blind thick white sky, just spotted a few treetops as I looked out of the cockpit, then nothing, my route was entered into my GPS, and as soon as I found some height, I switched to autopilot and hoped it would get me clear of this nightmare start as soon as possible……….

It wasn’t until 10,000ft that suddenly I saw a hint of blue grey sky, at last I cleared the thick cloud and quickly climbed above it…….. phew…. Time to relax a bit now….. Checking everything, all looked good, engines talking to me as we gained our cruising altitude of 33,000, on course, and all looking good.

33,000ft established and a speed of 150 knots at around 09.46, and just about to pass over the southern coast of England, Portland Navy (EGDP) just to my right, and nothing in front but a few light clouds……… And lots of water.

With A/P on, I reached for my flask, for a well earned cup of coffee, even took the chance to sit back in one of the few passenger compartment seats that we have left, and looked out over the sea.

11.05 and I can see the French Coast coming up, time to get back up front, can't make a habit of this.

I’m on my way, one of many legs to come, I wonder what fate has in store for me, I guess only god himself knows that, along with RD.

Mel signing off, until next time………….
Attachments
First Leg, French Coast in veiw.jpg

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:19 pm

Okay, I just cancelled my IFR flight, now flying VFR. Climbed to 33,000 feet as per RD's flight parameters. :D

CABIN ALT HIGH Warning light suddenly lit up on the Master Warning Panel. Uh-oh, what's this?! I know that warning light is referring to cabin pressure! 8O

I popped open the kneeboard and discovered that there are no performance specs for "the Maddie". Aarrgh! I'd never noticed that before! I quickly yanked out my hard copy of the AFG manual for the Beech B300. How to use the pressurisation. The last note on the page reads:

-CABIN ALT-warning light in the Master Warning Panel will be lit if the cabin altitude rises above 12,500 feet!!!

And the AFG Manual notes don't supply any further information or how to correct this situation. For the crying out loud, I've got the cabin pressure up as high as it can possibly go (see screenshot)! :?

I then recall RD's last words:
RD wrote:(remember...cruise is 33,000 ft for all flights.....if you dare).
Why on earth would RD state that the cruising altitude for ALL FLIGHTS is 33,000 feet if it was unsafe to do so? And what's all this "If You Dare" baloney?

There's gotta be a solution somehow, because I just can't feature RD sabotaging the project! Hell, I know RD's got a little mean streak, but he's not so mean that he's gonna kill us all right out of the barrel! No, there's gotta be some solution.

But I'll be doggone if I can figure it out!

Okay, I'll say the word...."UNCLE!"

Just in case, I've saved my flight in progress!

Jaeg-
Attachments
cabin pressure.JPG
Cabin Pressurisation Instruments
Bruce aka Jaeg-

Project Developer:

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:16 am

jaeger52 wrote:CABIN ALT HIGH Warning light suddenly lit up on the Master Warning Panel. Uh-oh, what's this?! I know that warning light is referring to cabin pressure! 8O

The last note on the page reads:

-CABIN ALT-warning light in the Master Warning Panel will be lit if the cabin altitude rises above 12,500 feet!!!

There's gotta be a solution somehow, because I just can't feature RD sabotaging the project! Hell, I know RD's got a little mean streak, but he's not so mean that he's gonna kill us all right out of the barrel! No, there's gotta be some solution.

But I'll be doggone if I can figure it out!

Okay, I'll say the word...."UNCLE!"

Just in case, I've saved my flight in progress!

Jaeg-
Jaeg, and all please see my e-mail on Dec 2nd, I give the solution to this in that e-mail.

I'm still trying to get me and the airplane to the starting point.
I got a call yesterday from the Beech factory in Wichita, Kansas saying the plane was complete and would be ready for pick up on the second of January. Then I have to fly it down to Hurlbert Field (KHRT) in Florida so Sir Squirrel can work my airframe copy into the paint booth. By the way, GS I am having Raytheon pack the wings in shipping crates. She is coming to you in pieces.
Mel, What would be a good place to have the wings reattached once I get her over the pond?

Cat. I would recomend Blackbushe, http://www.hawkerbeechcraft.com/service_support/ Beechcraft have a sevice center there, and it's only around 45mins flying time to Leicester once flight testing has been completed. Mel.
If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:26 pm

1st Jan 2008

Well.......... I decided to push on to Faro....... It was not the quiet & easy first leg I had anticipated........

I had just cleared the southern coast of France, around 39nm south of Brest Control, when casually looking towards my left, I was confronted with learjet heading in the opposite direction, it all happend so fast, I had no time to react. No warning given by ATC that there was another aircraft in the vicinity, I was on course, and at my assigned altitude. My speed was 150 knots....... I have no idea what the converging speed of both aircraft were.... I dread to think. What do you think ?. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LWX8GcIXQZ8

My approach at Faro was at first, seemingly nothing special, everything was fine, I could see the ground at around 5,000ft, lined myself up after being given the all clear to land, and I can only assume that a fog bank had drifted in from the sea, suddenly my final approach was completly blind, *beep*, didnt bargin on this........ with nothing but instruments to guide my way in, I managed to touch down first time, hell of a bump though, it cleared a little as I taxied to my parking spot, I thought to myself, there goes my vacation....... Still, I have decided to lay over here at Faro for a few weeks, just to welcome fellow Round the World pilots in from their first leg.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tZgrv05MWnA

You can find me at the pilots bar, just to the left of the arrivals lounge, stop by, have drink with me, and we can exchange flight experiences....

Mine's a double after that little trip.

P.S. Expected to see GS & RD at the bar already..... Hmmmm. :wink:

Mel signing off, in sunny Faro........ (I dont think).
Attachments
Fogged in at FARO.jpg

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:43 pm

Cat1 wrote:Sorry folks, MASTER WARNING annunciator, not master caution, master caution is amber (yellow) and neither is related to the CABIN ALT HIGH annunciator.
I was able to find the test procedure in the Maintenance Manual for the pressurization and it turns out that it was switchology on my part. I misread the switch and was dumping cabin pressure the entire flight. But it seems to work almost as described in the maintenance manual.
One thing to note though, it does need to be adjusted for your cruising altitude before take off. It will need to be deactivated (dumped) during descent when you reach the altitude set for the cabin. Just watch the rate and everything should be fine.

As far as the master warning, I remember now that most of the aircraft I have worked on have this same issue when ground power is applied, or on initial start up. Mostly due to engine related things such as oil pressure, fuel flow, fire detection and things of that nature. So, that may be a non issue. Just reset and move on. Now if it come on after that, you need to pay attention to it.
I definitely adjusted my cabin pressure as high as I possibly could (my second screenshot above). There seems to be no way to set the cabin pressure to 33,000 feet as far as I can determine, which leads me to suspect that we are well out of the operational ceiling for this aircraft! Your quote (above) makes no sense to me. Please explain more fully!The best I can determine is that we just ignore this warning/caution light.

Jaeg-
Attachments
alt.JPG
Warning Light
alt.JPG (5.18 KiB) Viewed 38683 times
Bruce aka Jaeg-

Project Developer:

groundsquirrel

okay..

Post by groundsquirrel » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:00 am

Alright scuba divers, I have received your cabin pressure flags and am presently in the shop with one of the delivery models to work the problem out. I will release T.O.s as soon as they are available.
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:18 am

Brucie Flight Update

I'm approximately one hour out from Faro. At my present rate of travel, I expect to arrive on Saturday at the latest (best I can do under my circumstances).

Mel, don't dally at the Airplane Bar for too long. As the first of our numbers to arrive at Faro, you'll be needing to press on to the "Ocean Club" (where Madeleine was abducted from), and please ensure that there's sufficient poolside rooms available for all incoming pilots! What amenities are offered for us?

Everyone please be aware that there have been a number of recent updates at http://www.findmadeleine.com PLEASE VISIT!!!

BTW, Superb video footage, Mel!

Jaeg-
Bruce aka Jaeg-

Project Developer:

groundsquirrel

uh-huh...

Post by groundsquirrel » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:10 am

Ran full systems checks and simulations. Checked with the boys at Raytheon as well. This model is certified to 32,800ft with a max standard cruise alt. of 30,000. I think RD is pulling our door chains telling us to go 33,000. My recommendation is 25,000 weather permitting. Also, from the manual...

- CABIN DIFF-warning light in the Master Warning Panel will be lit if the
pressure differential between outside air and cabin exceeds 6.6 PSI.
- CABIN ALT-warning light in the Master Warning Panel will be lit if the
cabin altitude rises above 12500 feet.

edit: As I have been rightly reminded, I had originally planned to be 35,000 capable. I will have to get back into the systems to achieve this and will provide fixes as they are available.

rd

Post by rd » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:38 am

Let me know when you get it done, GS.

Otherwise, besides changing where the flights start, I can change the ceiling to 28,000 in the readme. But it still won't help as for the cabin warning, as far as I can tell.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:18 am

groundsquirrel wrote:- CABIN DIFF-warning light in the Master Warning Panel will be lit if the
pressure differential between outside air and cabin exceeds 6.6 PSI.
- CABIN ALT-warning light in the Master Warning Panel will be lit if the
cabin altitude rises above 12500 feet.
So the CABIN ALT-warning light in the Master Warning Display is nothing more than a reminder that the cabin altitude is above 12,500 and does not necessarily require any action by the pilot. Correct?

My Flight Update:
Eight miles out on approach to Faro, Portugal (LPFR, runway 28), I saved my flight. I've made six landing attempts and have crashed every time! Holy cow! This is one nightmare of a landing! But should have until February 8th (?) to get it right before the next leg is posted.

Jaeg-
Bruce aka Jaeg-

Project Developer:

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:24 am

Bruce............. It's a nightmare landing, I think it was more by luck than judgement, that I made it at the first attempt........ Having said that, I had to get my landing gear checked, it was one hell of a bump, but all is well.

Good luck.............. BTW, I'm still in the Bar :wink:

Mel.

groundsquirrel

as I read it...

Post by groundsquirrel » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:06 am

As I read it, the warnings have to do with keeping the pilot conscious and the aircraft safe. Differential warning for structural and eardrum stability and altitude warning to prevent blackout/hypoxia. So, theoretically, if your cabin press. is maintained properly there should be no warnings. As stated earlier, I know it works but I am still perfecting my technique.

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:53 am

GS,

FS9 does not account for pilot black-out, white-out, grey-out (you know what I mean). It would be cool if it did. Perhaps one day this could eventually be developed? Especially for fighter aircraft. The screen grey's out, blacks out for a period of time. Vision slowly fizzles back.

Could be a real cooliesta download addon.

Brain Farting.

Jaeg-

I think that it does it has to be selected though, (Want to say pilot red out/black out). This in not to a level of altitude, more maneuvering "G's" inside the aircraft causing the effect rather than hypoxia due to flying the aircraft where it shouldn't be.
Bruce aka Jaeg-

Project Developer:

groundsquirrel

you mean...

Post by groundsquirrel » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:03 am

Do you mean like in Falcon 4.0 Allied Force?

Cat1

Next stop...

Post by Cat1 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:31 am

Well... Beech delivery is disappointing me.
After I got off work today I hopped the company Falcon 7X for a short run to Wichita to inspect the packaging of the aircraft.
After landing and reception I was told the aircraft won't be ready for shipping until at least Friday. As unacceptable as I stated it was going to be for that type of a delay they said with coming off the holidays they still had people out and had hoped that everything would be back on schedule by tomorrow so I can take the aircraft on Friday.
So GS it looks like Monday will be paint day.
I lost the free ride on the C-130 to Hurlbert, I may have to use the Web company 747 and truck the airframe from Orlando or Pensacola to Hurlbert.
You will have room in the paint hanger on Monday right?

groundsquirrel

it is...

Post by groundsquirrel » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:49 am

It is a sprawling facility even though we have to dodge the odd Herc' doing blacked out touch and go's....which makes for really harrowing night lawn mower racing, but we will have space in the spray booth for it and the assembly floor has all their tools shined up and waiting for ya'. :D

Cat1

A Package freighter and a Problem

Post by Cat1 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:01 am

What a busy week end and the week is off to a good start!
Friday afternoon I was able to catch a UPS hop in a round about manner to Wichita, Kansas to pick up the B300. The reason it was round about is the pilot knew I was not current in the 757-200F freighter so he allowed a couple of detours to touch and go with me in the left seat at Oklahoma City (KOKC) then a bounce at Tulsa Intl, Oklahoma (KTUL) and the final landing to bring me current at McConnell Air Force Base (KIAB) in Wichita, the catch was I had to pay for the extra gas.
Parked the plane on the Boeing side of the field and waited for the escort truck to bring me my crated plane. In short order there was a flurry of activity around the aircraft. Fuel trucks and support gear were all over the tarmac. The main wing packs went in first and got tied down without a problem, but then we started lifting the fuselage pack and it wouldn't make the turn from the scissor lift on to the loading deck, it was to long to fit through the door at the only angles we had to turn it in by about 8 inches. I was disappointed to say the least, but I had a few minutes of looking at the problem and that was enough.
I called Boeing Ops and asked for another scissor lift to be brought to the plane. I asked them to place it forward of the one at the cargo door and get it up to the height we were working at. We ended up using it as a crutch to pull the B300 on to and then push it back into the loading deck, the extra room and different angle was the trick, we were able to slide it in and lock it down.
Checked with the ground crew, signed for the service and fuel, checked with the load master to make sure all was good and climbed back in to the left seat for the flight to Hurlburt Field (KHRT).
The flight was uneventful, nice weather, smooth air and a decent ham sandwich boxed lunch for dinner on the way, but I got those dang "cool ranch" flavored Doritos, I don't like them so I traded for a bag of plain chips.
Landing at Hurlbert was uneventful… Until they saw the UPS paint on the plane… Then it got interesting.
Several radio calls later and I was cleared to land and unload the B300.

GS, did you get a call from a Col. Squire asking you to come retrieve my plane crates before he “F’ing pushed the F’ing thing into the into the F’ing Gulf, for calling in his people on a F’ing Sunday to move a F’ing civilian aircraft that came out of a “F’ing UPS F’ing planeâ€

groundsquirrel

funny thing...

Post by groundsquirrel » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:22 am

As a matter of fact, I did get a call from a very excited shack boss. Something about his hide and he had to go and hide or something like that. Now the really neat thing about moving an aircraft whilst in it's crate is that it is just a teensy weensy bit too wide to move down a US highway without some kind of DOT permit. So we did the next best thing. We uncrated it on the tarmac and loaded it up on the flat-beds to move it over to the shop. One more thing, you owe me for the tipping fee for hauling all that trash to the dump. Something about "you aint leaving all that s**t on my tarmac, now git your civilian a** and your civilian trash the h**l out of here!". I think the next delivery should just be sent by rail, we can pick it up in Pensacola and it will already be DOT packed for over the road. After we get done laughing, we'll get her assembled and into the paint shop. More later.

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:45 pm

Wait, don't assemble it. I am going to fly it over the pond in a box and have it assembled in England.
So, hopefully I didn't cause to much heartache.
Sounds like I am going to have to build up another set of shipping containers.
But how is the painting going?

Cat1

Are you holding my painted plane hostage...

Post by Cat1 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:52 am

Or are you out joy riding in my bird?
I sent the repack crew a week ago, I got a garbled voice mail yesterday about problems with something, a fuchsia colored thong, tong, gong, well something and sounded like another thing having to do an iguana and a pool with a skipper... It's so hard to find good help these days.
When can I come get her, or do I have to take RD's bird from the factory? :twisted:

Mel, hope you took a part time job there... Otherwise you own the joint by now... :wink:
Last edited by Cat1 on Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

groundsquirrel

it wasnt...

Post by groundsquirrel » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:02 am

It wasnt a complete assembly...not flyable anyway. The paint work went okay, took a little longer than planned due to the weather. Imron makes very neat 3D effects if you try to lay it down at the wrong temperature.....so we didnt do that. In any case, everything is secured and ready. The air pallets had to be custom built and the tail empenage removed in order to fit standard cargo dimensions for air transport. If you werent in such a damned hurry it could have gone over on a freighter which would have been less of a headache. The boys on the other side of the pond said they could handle the tail refit with no problem so dont worry. Oh.....one more thing.....the factory shipped it with the wrong uhf antenna, the last time I saw one like that was on a '57 Cub. I'll let you deal with that. Now, if there is nothing further, I'd like to go play with my Honda now...... :wink:

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:13 am

Thanks GS I know there were a few problems, how was I supposed to know it was going to freeze in Florida! It nearly never freezes there for any amount of time. I appreciate the loving care and extra effort you and your crew put in.
As for the antenna, Beech alerted me to that and I have got a crew in wait to install a proper blade once I can get it to MO at the company "fit it hanger" they have there, maybe I'll just have the antenna and parts sent on though. I can install it once I get across the pond, that may be a the better option.
I was able to wrangle the time and load space for C-130 from the NY AFNG so I will be flying it out of Hurlbert on that to Wheeler (KGTB) and cross loading to a different bird then hopefully on to either Gatwick or Heathrow, I might try to press the SurClaro 747 into action for that one hop.
Was the construction suitable for an English Long Lorry or rail flat car? My guys were supposed to make it as such.

Mel, can you do me the favor of letting the Beech folks know there that there has been a delay, and the plan is as above. I have the antenna and required parts for the installation, you are closer to the time zone than I.
I am scheduled to leave KFTW later in the afternoon tomorrow inbound to Hurlbert for the inspection and loading.
After that I won't meet the airplane again until she is in England and hopefully... assembled ready for flight.

groundsquirrel

standard...

Post by groundsquirrel » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:27 am

The load out is standard international air/sea dimensions, hence the empenage removal.