Graphic Issues, any suggestions?

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, skipperdan

Denholm
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Graphic Issues, any suggestions?

Post by Denholm » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:12 am

Hello there,

I have been having these issues for quite some time now and just now decided to seek assistance. Perhaps the reason being that I haven't been flying at night as much and these issues are much more noticeable at night then at day.

Anyways, this is some sort of graphical issue either within the video settings of FS2004 or my Graphic Card's settings. I didn't have this issue a few months ago when I was using my NVidia MX/MX 400 to fly on FS2004. However when I upgraded to my new NVidia GeForce 7600 GS the graphics of lights and clouds inside of FS2004 downgraded.

I went from minimal - medium detail on my MX/MX 400 to almost maxed out graphics on my new 7600 GS, however the quality of clouds and the lights from the plane downgraded. Just to prevent any suggestions about it right now, after switching from bi-linear to trilinear filtering there were no changes. The clouds and lights still looked as ugly as ever.

Here are some technical details on my video card settings:
Colors at 32 bit (True Color)
Anti aliasing - Application Controlled (Have it disabled within FS2004 settings)
Anisotropic filtering - Application Controlled
Image settings - Quality (Highest is "High Quality," just one setting away from "Quality".)
Vertical Sync - Application Controlled
Attachments
graphics-issue1.jpg
(Turn up screen brightness to full)
graphics-issue2.jpg
graphics-issue3.jpg
graphics-issue4.jpg
Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

http://www.603squadron.co.cc
http://www.603rdraf.tk

heeshung
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by heeshung » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:51 am

You might want to reference: http://forums.surclaro.com/ftopic12314.html

That was a thread I created a while ago, after I updated my NVIDIA drivers. I don't think it's your hardware; I think it's the drivers. If you updated your drivers, try a roll back. The newest drivers have the same problem for me, and now AA from NVIDIA's Control Panel doesn't work. The only reason that I'm still using them is because I'm too lazy to switch back.

Take a look at the screenshots in that thread, and you make the decision whether or not they address the same problem.
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)
4096MB Corsair Dominator DDR2 @1066MHz (5-5-5-15) 2.1V
Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 32MB Cache
2x NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 512MB G92 Core in SLI
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR PSU [80A]
Acer X223W 22" 16:10 Widescreen TFT LCD
Azalia HD Audio Connected to 5.1 Channel Harmon/Kardon Surround System and Plantronics GameCom 377 Headset
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Razer Lachesis 4000dpi 3G Laser [Philips Twin-Eye] Wraith Red Edition Gaming Mouse
EVGA nForce 780i SLI FTW Special Edition Mainboard 132-YW-E178-A1
Antec Twelve-Hundred Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7000) (7000.winmain_win7beta.081212-1400)

Cat1
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by Cat1 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:54 am

I agree with hees...
This looks like a driver issue.
If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

groundsquirrel

first off...

Post by groundsquirrel » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:57 am

First off, if you have things application controlled and then have them turned off within the application......who is in control? Turn on Antialiasing within FS. Next, have "wait for vertical sync" turned off. This feature is pretty much meaningless for Nvidea and ATI with respect to FS. Next, make sure you have hardware rendered lights maxed out to 8 within your FS settings. Also, try leaving mip map at 4 within FS, then get back to us.
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:03 am

Isn't there a thread here about settings and stuff?
If not maybe we should make on that is sort of all inclusive... (?)
If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

Behrentzs
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by Behrentzs » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:01 am

I don't feel like reading all the above, but maybe you can use this:
http://www.tknudsen.com/guides/Graphics_Guide_Final.pdf

Cheers
Behrentzs
JAA PPL Trainee

Denholm

Post by Denholm » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:07 pm

General info. The drivers on my Video Card were not updated, they came on the installation CD. However that is my issue. Anybody have an idea where I can find older drivers for my Video Card?

I'll try what you mentioned Ground Squirrel.

EDIT: Problem resolved. I noticed that in my FS2004 settings the resolution was 800x600x16 (16 bit color mode). So I enabled the anti-aliasing and changed the resolution to 800x600x32 and increased the rendering lights to 8 like groundsquirrel said. After pressing OK the lights issue was fixed and I believe the clouds are alright now.

Thanks for the help.
Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

http://www.603squadron.co.cc
http://www.603rdraf.tk

Boldpilot
SurClaro senior forum member
SurClaro senior forum member

Graphic issues any sugestions

Post by Boldpilot » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:42 pm

Hi Denholm, I installed a GT 7600 and at first had problems ,these were fixed on advice from RD .Go to FS2004 ,Wanted, page 5 . There you will see all the settings to your sim and the Nvidea settings .They work good for me .BP

FSPilot06

Post by FSPilot06 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:05 pm

I'm not too good on the graphics thing, but check the Flight Simulator 2004 Read Me. I know it has some notices about how some graphics cards may have issues with FS2004.

On my old computer, my airplane, and VC, would dissapear when the visibilty was under 10 miles or so. It says that about the graphics card I had in the read me.
Flying is not dangerous. If you don't trust something that has to be supported by air, stay out of a car unless it has solid tires. And believe me, those kind of tires don't ride good at all.

rd

Post by rd » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:41 am

That readme is only a guide, and should be only looked at. It is in no way close to giving you what you need to know on getting BETTER graphics. For that you need to see us.

And what I gave Boldpilot, works on ALOT of systems. That readme is worthless IMHO.

Remember, after FS9 was out, graphic cards could do more faster and better than MS could imagine. So the info is basically outdated when it was released.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "