Help Landing MD-11

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, skipperdan

Do you find it hard to land jets like the MD-11 or 747?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:59 am

Yes
17%
No
50%
Depends on how awake I am!
33%

Total votes: 6

Commander Cool
SurClaro senior forum member

Help Landing MD-11

Post by Commander Cool » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:59 am

Hello again everyone, I have a problem with my FFX MD11 from www.sgair.net. I am doing a flight from Narita, Tokyo to Ulaanbaatar in Mongolia and when I am landing or as it maybe trying to land the plane will touch the ground and FS9 will instantly say crash without even the tyres screeching. This happens no matter where I am landing. I am sure I doing everything right.
When on final and am about 12 Nm out from the airport I set the flaps to one notch and slow to around 180 knots. As I come closer at about 8nm I set flaps down two more notches and slow to 170 knots and release the landing gear, when I am sure the gear is down and secure I set another notch on the flaps and arm the spoilers whilst slowing to 165 knots. As I begin final I relieve the autopilot and manually bring the aircraft bring and as I am ready to flare I set full flaps and I also switch off the autothrottle and set the engines to idle. Just as I touchdown my speed is arund 155-160 knots.
Can anyone help me?
Derek
The good thing about being a pessimist is that your always being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

Linebacker Derek Connor #98
Glasgow Tigers

groundsquirrel
Forum Moderator - Master member

Watch that rate of descent,

Post by groundsquirrel » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:44 am

First make sure that you are not setting her down too hard. Watch the Verticle Speed Indicator. Your profile sounds good but I dont know about hitting more flaps so close to touchdown like that. Most likely the best thing to do, from what I gather by reading other heavy pilots postings, is to trim her out during final with whatever landing configuration you are going to use for the given altitude, baro, winds etc. and just fly her in, but not too steeply. One other thing to watch for is fuel load, too much fuel on board during landing will make her heavy and demands a much shallower descent angle for a smoother touchdown. Just keep in mind that the MD11 is not carrier deck certified and dropping her onto the runway, even from 30 or 40 feet will cause damage and trigger FS crash detection.

If, on the other hand, all of this is being done, and you have carefully checked your landings, then perhaps the aircraft.cfg file might need a few tweaks. From my own observations( read that as my own landings :lol: ) and the lack of complaints about this model from other people it is probably just our impatience to get her down so we can go back up again.
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

Commander Cool

Post by Commander Cool » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:02 pm

Thank you Groundsquirrel for the prompt reply. Firstly I would like to state that when on final approach I have the VS set at -1100 feet so as not to bring her in too fast. I think you maybe right about flaps full so close to touchdown, would you recommend maybe about 5nm out. I know that it is not too much fuel as I checked before landing and I was getting a low fuel warning on engines 1 and 2 but I don't know why not on the rear engine? Strange!
What do you mean by not carrier deck certified I do not understand that!
I think your last sentance may have hit the spot- i always used to have that exact same problem with the 747 but fortunately I got over that and stalled in fog whilst on final into Rome and crashed and have never touched that plane again! Oh well!
Derek
The good thing about being a pessimist is that your always being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

Linebacker Derek Connor #98
Glasgow Tigers

Petruchio
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by Petruchio » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:59 pm

Try gear locked , full flaps, and landing speed set by outer marker. Do this while still on autopilot. this way the plane is in a stable configuration before you get close to the ground.

Also try a VS around 500. 1100 seems quite fast . . .
If all else fails . . . [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Delete] is your friend.

guido90

Post by guido90 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:18 pm

Everything over -850 fpm will result in a crash!!!

And as the all said: more flaps, further from airport. And try landing with as low fuel as possible. Two reasons, you'll need less time to slow down, and it is more real, as real pilots, actually people on the ground (groudsqirrels) fill the tanks so that the plane has enough fuel for the flight plus one hour, just in case. Count about 9000 kg for every hour of flight, and another 3000 kg for taxi, and so on.
Pilot' report: Noise behind left panels. Sounds like a little man with hammer.
Repairman's report: Took hammer from little man.

Cobra Driver
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by Cobra Driver » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:19 pm

Definitely have the plane "completely dirty" gears, full flaps, on long final. And you said you have spoilers armed, make sure you only deploy after touchdown of mains.

Also as previously stated, 1100 fpm is way to much of a vertical flight path. Try 400-500 fpm and ALWAYS use the VASI, those red and white lights at the approach end of the runway, if one is available.

remember the rule of thumb for VASI's

Red on Red your dead--------------too low
White on white, your out of sight---too hi
Red on white your alright------------proper glide path
Pugnare, Fornicare Au Mort

Cobra Driver
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by Cobra Driver » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:05 pm

Please see link

http://www.fltplan.com/AIM.htm

Go to chapter 2-1-1 if the link doesn't take you there.

Hope this helps out with some basic info for all

Cobra Driver
Pugnare, Fornicare Au Mort

groundsquirrel

Post by groundsquirrel » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:33 am

The question has been answered, re-answered ans answered again. This thread is now locked to prevent confusion of the issue and purpose thereof.
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.