Arrivall/departure runways

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, skipperdan

Gabipetro
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Arrivall/departure runways

Post by Gabipetro » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:40 pm

FS9 has some major improvements! The one I like best is multiple runways in use! I would like to improve on this a bit though.

Is there a way to change the runway designations from arrival (or departure) only runway to both? It seems that all the aircraft take off on 34R and land on 34L of SLC International.

Thanks,

Gabipetro

guido90
SurClaro senior forum member
SurClaro senior forum member

Post by guido90 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:48 pm

Well sorry I don't see the problem there, it is much faster that way, instead of takin off and landing on both runways.
Pilot' report: Noise behind left panels. Sounds like a little man with hammer.
Repairman's report: Took hammer from little man.

Gabipetro
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by Gabipetro » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:36 pm

You're right, no real problem. I just wanted it to be more realistic. Landing with a 767 is cool but landing amongst them would be even better.

Thanks,

Gabipetro

Cobra Driver
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by Cobra Driver » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:26 pm

Interestingly enough, that's the way it really happens. Not always but approach control knows what the traffic situation looks like and tower will change flow based upon this info.

So this is the realistic method of operation, and MS did a good job on this one.
Pugnare, Fornicare Au Mort

SpectroPro

Post by SpectroPro » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:59 am

ummmmm... the REAL world method is landing and taking off on the same runways. I sit at KCVG at least twice a week and I watch 2-4 planes land in a row on L and R runways, then 2-3 will take off on each, then 2-4 land. There is NOT one runway for landing and one for takeoff. That simply is NOT how it is done in the real world at any major US airport anyways.

Just sit at the end of any airports runways if they use a left and right. They will use both for landing and both for take off. I love it cause you can really see the difference in speeds some jets will use for landing. One will come in sooooooooo slow compared to the one next to it that just screams in.

paulvil
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by paulvil » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:04 am

In FS I have told by the atc when takeing off to caution other departing traffic on the other runway.
Mmm, 3.14159...

Petruchio
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by Petruchio » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:17 am

SpectroPro wrote:I sit at KCVG at least twice a week
I live within 15 minutes of KORD, Chicago. If I tried to park a car, sit, stand with a bycicle, or any combination of the above I would be busted in minutes.
:roll:
If all else fails . . . [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Delete] is your friend.

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:50 am

I agree with SpectroPro. Runways are used for both t/o and landings depending on many factors.

Here at CYVR, there are 5 spots around the runways where you can park your car, pull up a chair and watch planes t/o and land. Yeah, there is security BIG-TIME everywhere but they keep an eye on ya. If they see you doing something that is not normal then they will haul you in. But not for just sitting there minding your own business. That would be a contravention of our laws of freedom...' To boldly go where no one has gone before '.

I sit there at least 2 times/week and watch the planes as well. *Beep*, I've had parties while watching the planes and helicopters!! It's all good as long as you don't trample on someone else's lawn. I feel for you Petruchio, seems like you can't enjoy some of the finer things in life...unless you contravene some law or act... :(

Exxman

Cobra Driver
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by Cobra Driver » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:04 am

My thoughts are based upon the busier airports I have flown into. As you can see below, the stats for the mentioned airports show that the traffic flow for KATL on a daily basis for commercial traffic are roughly 6 times that of KCVG. This would account for KCVG being able to allow for parallel landings and KATL not.

KCVG
Aircraft Data
Operations (reported) Yearly Avg. Daily
General Aviation transient: 22797 62
General Aviation Local: 0 0
Air Taxi: 308162 844
Commerical: 154419 423
Military: 1623 4

KATL
Aircraft Data
Operations (reported) Yearly Avg. Daily
General Aviation transient: 0 0
General Aviation Local: 16624 46
Air Taxi: 218773 599
Commerical: 889966 2438
Military: 1769 5

This data was compiled from the site below. Feel free to enter any airport for comparison and analysis.

http://www.fltplan6.com

Furthermore, if you follow this link you will read a report filed by NASA which stipulates that using one runway for take-off and another for landing is the "Usual or preferred flow of traffic" for a number of the airports they studied.

http://techreports.larc.nasa.gov/ltrs/P ... 207675.pdf
Pugnare, Fornicare Au Mort

Petruchio
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by Petruchio » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:09 pm

Thanks Exxman,

When I was a kid, we would ride our bikes over there and hang out along the fence at the end of the active runway. The planes were at about 150 feet when they went over . . .

Those were the days.

Now you get hassled within 5 minutes! :cry:
If all else fails . . . [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Delete] is your friend.

Gabipetro
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by Gabipetro » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:10 pm

Of course it would be preferred to use separate runways for takeoffs and landings but....All I wanted was to recreate what I see every day which is 4-8 pairs of planes landing on two runways. This is usually followed by a large gap in time where only a couple of planes will land singly. Seemingly, they could string them along and use the runways as you say, but don't.

I am a realism freak which is why I am writing in this forum.

Thanks for the time to reply...at least to me the NASA data was interesting and I think I will check out the web site for airport flow.
gabipetro

ricktobin
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by ricktobin » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:42 pm

Gabipetro...you can close runways in FS2004 for takeoffs/landings using AFCAD2 (I'm assuming you have this program and are familiar with how to use it, if not let me know).

Start AFCAD2 and select the ICAO for the airport you want. Open the airport and from the menu bar click on "List". From the drop down menu bar select "runways".

Now suppose you want to make this change to KORD runways 9L/27R and 9R/27L, click on either of the runways in the "Runway List" window, then click on "Properties".

Say the actives are 27L and 27R. From the "Properties" window, select the runway 9L/27R...in the RECIPROCAL END you'll have to check the box either in the "Closed for Takeoffs" or "Closed for Landings" option, your choice, then click "OK". Then do the same for 9R/27L. Just make sure they are opposite each other or you'll end up with either nothing landing or taking off from either.

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:48 pm

Can the same be done in FS2002 Mr. Tobin??

@Gabipetro: Realism rules man! I know what you are saying. I went so far as to find out Westjet's flight schedules and changed them in FS via TTools and Yroute just so that I could see the planes taking off from CYVR and then look out my window a minute later to see them for real!!! Rocks!

@Petruchio: Too bad man. Yeah, the good ole days. I guess security concerns are more important than freedom of movement these days. It's all good as long as it's in the name of security and not paranoia...

E

ricktobin

Post by ricktobin » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:15 pm

Exxman, I don't have FS2002 on my machine anymore so I'm not sure.

What's up with all this MR. Tobin stuff????

As we used to say in the Army...Don't call me Sir (or Mister), I work for a living...Rick will do fine.

Gabipetro
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by Gabipetro » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:34 pm

I have AFCAD2 and have dabbled with AFCAD in FS2002. Thanks for all your help! I'll be working on the multiple aircraft tonight as for the dual landings...I'll have to wait until I start dabbling in sceneries again.

Thanks again Rick,

Gabipetro

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:34 pm

@Rick...cool man. Will change salutation.

Just got done using AFCAD and edited CYVR maself. Hehehe, it was so easy to do it's not even funny. Found a couple of glitches and fixed em right up!!! Thanks for the suggestion and insight!!!!! It's really 'drag and drop' isn't it? Now I gotta put in some textures for more taxiways...uhhhh...gotta research that one now! Still have the missing objects errors though... :(

Thanks once again...

Exx