Landing and Air Traffic Control Problems

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, skipperdan

chapman90
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Landing and Air Traffic Control Problems

Post by chapman90 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:28 pm

Air Traffic Control seems to have this bug about keeping the aircraft off course. It said "Turn to heading 030 and maintain own navigation.", but those instructions conflict with each other sense 030 would send me way off course. And the GPS heading indicator was sometimes off by up to 10 degrees from the heading indicator. This is the 747 by the way. What could have caused this GPS error? Then when it came time to land, I though I was on course, but I was several miles off course even though I had followed ATC instructions and I had to cancel the IFR flight plan just go land the aircraft. But that didn't do any good. I landed several hundred feet to the right of the runway at the Kennedy International Airport (I think that's what it's called). Before landing, I pointed the aircraft to head to the left edge of the runway when I saw I was off course, but that didn't help. To make matters worse, when I finally got back onto the runway to finish the stop, I found another aircraft that was crossing the runway and I had to increase break pressure. I may have locked up the wheels but at least I missed the other aircraft. Oh, and ATC didn't seem to want to let me avoid flying into restricted airspace.

What could have caused the aircraft to end up so far off course? I ran laps around the airport just to get lined up perfectly and I still ended up in the grass even though I pointed the plane towards the opposite side of the runway that I was on. Oh, and my airspeed seemed to jump around quite a bit.

Cat1
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by Cat1 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:10 pm

The short answer is "it depends".
During the flight, did you press the "D" key to sync the heading indicator gyro?
GPS heading is not the same as aircraft heading in that the GPS is usually about the center of the airport, not near the runways.

ATC will also usually put you on a 45 degree vector off the airport runway heading you need to fly and land.

That's a start...
If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

chapman90

Post by chapman90 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:45 am

A good start, thank you.

For the GPS, I've rarely seen it more than a one degree deviation from the HSI on the jet aircraft. The only other times I've seen so much deviation is if I make a sharp turn either by 60 degree emergency bank, or by turning the plane on the taxi-ways. The most I've seen is a 180 degree deviation. That only happens when I'm backing up. But I will check the gyros. It may have been the weather though, I'm not used to flying in anything except clear weather.

CRJsimpilot
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Re: Landing and Air Traffic Control Problems

Post by CRJsimpilot » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:37 am

chapman90 wrote: It said "Turn to heading 030 and maintain own navigation.", but those instructions conflict with each other sense 030 would send me way off course.
ATC instructed you to turn 030 to intercept your course then you maintain own navigation.
Look on the GPS next time and you will see how you will intercept the FP line. Once intercepted you turn again or pres NAV and then GPS.

chapman90

Post by chapman90 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:02 pm

Ok.

micheal
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Air traffic controllers

Post by micheal » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:27 am

Air traffic controllers are the people who operate the air traffic control systems to expedite and maintain a safe and orderly flow of air traffic and help prevent mid-air collisions. They apply separation rules to keep aircraft apart from each other in their area of responsibility and move all aircraft safely and efficiently through their assigned sector of airspace. Because controllers have an incredibly large responsibility while on duty, the ATC profession is regarded around the world as one of the most difficult jobs today, and can be notoriously stressful depending on many variables (equipment, configurations, weather, traffic volume, human factors, etc.).
--------------------------------------------------------------------
itil certification, mcdst, mcitp

mel wilson

Re: Air traffic controllers

Post by mel wilson » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:44 am

micheal wrote:Air traffic controllers are the people who operate the air traffic control systems to expedite and maintain a safe and orderly flow of air traffic and help prevent mid-air collisions. They apply separation rules to keep aircraft apart from each other in their area of responsibility and move all aircraft safely and efficiently through their assigned sector of airspace. Because controllers have an incredibly large responsibility while on duty, the ATC profession is regarded around the world as one of the most difficult jobs today, and can be notoriously stressful depending on many variables (equipment, configurations, weather, traffic volume, human factors, etc.).
--------------------------------------------------------------------
itil certification, mcdst, mcitp

DITTO: http://forums.surclaro.com/ftopic19093.html Second identity ! "husee"

Mel.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html