Landings from an angle

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, skipperdan

nrkazmi
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Landings from an angle

Post by nrkazmi » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:00 am

This problem has baffled me for days. The Question is that say I am flyng from Airport A to Airport B, without an ILS landing system. Somewhere near the destination airport, I hit a NDB which is not directly in front of the runway but rather at an acute angle to the runway end. My FS 2004 flight planner draws a direct line from the NDB to the runway end, and if I exactly follow that line, my plane ends on the runway from a sideway angle and therefore after touching the runway for a breif 2 seconds goes to the grass lawns on the sides. How can I correct myself in such situations so that after touching the NDB I can maneouvre myself in such a way that I am perfectly aligned with the runway at least for the last 3-4 miles. I have tried manually by going out and then turning but most of the time I end up landing parallel to runways on the grass. I dont rely on ATC because FS 2004 is a heavily bugged piece of software which in such cases just only says, xxxx, cleared to land on runway 17, Acknowledge and doesnt give me any vectors or any help.

Can you guys help me out how to cope with such tricky scenarious.
Be it the deserts or oceans, both lie beneath my wings.

nrkazmi
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by nrkazmi » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:44 am

Thats where the problem really begins. In FS 2004 you can use only one view at one time. Either you are looking out of the cockpit, virtual cockpit or sideways, while in a real plane, you can move your head immediately in all directions to have a visual clue and have a sense where you can perfectly aligned with the runway. In FS 2004, even in the downwind leg, even after a sharp turn, one finds 300-400 feet above the runway that he/she is not aligned. *beep* this FS2004.

Maxell
SurClaro senior forum member

Post by Maxell » Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:32 pm

Yes, nrkazmi, land visually. Almost always I land visually, simply because it is harder than any other, and a bigger shalenge 8) well, you cannot turn your head around, unless you have the "track IR" I think that is how it's called. You stick a peace of plastic to your fore head, and the laser finds it, and when you move your head, you move the eyepoint in the VC. At least that is what I heard...

Anyway, you can use GPS for a rough navigation, just to tell you when to turn to final, and then the rest is piece of cake.

groundsquirrel
Forum Moderator - Master member

The way I do it...........

Post by groundsquirrel » Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:36 am

The way I do it is to have my "Point Of View" hat switch on my joystick set to show views. That way I can just reach up with my thumb and toggle the views as necessary for a quick look around. This can also be accomplished by using the number pad (with number lock on) by using the keys surrounding the 5 key. 5 looks down at the ground. 8 does not work in all aircraft, only where there is a "forward up" fixed window view in the aircrafts panel.cfg.
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

dmshakes
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Post by dmshakes » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:20 am

If you have not got a visual on the runway by the DH then u must join the missed approch

If you get a visual at or before the DH then you are responsible to manuver the plane into position yourself

If you get a visual when over the runway then you should already be in the missed approch and have called the ATC unit (probably a terminal controler) and inform them that you are in the respective procedure

having the approch plates really helps here!!!

yellowbird

Post by yellowbird » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:11 pm

when one approaches a runway at an angle, one should enter the traffic pattern at the required altitude and circle the air strip to get a good visual, also keep the GPS open for guidance.

dmshakes

Post by dmshakes » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:47 pm

I think this person means on a slant approch for an IFR procedure

is that right?

otherwise you should not be joining a slant final, always the circut pattern weather it be right or left hand

skipperdan

Post by skipperdan » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:57 pm

Every time that someone takes a poll, I end up in the minority category. However, I still prefer to fly in the SPOT PLANE VIEW because I would prefer to spend my time looking at new scenery instead of the same old instruments.

Whenever I fly via the Spot Plane view and need to approach the runway from an angle, I tend to use my HAT SWITCH to change my view to the side. Then I gradually adjust the view "little by little" until I have a full frontal view in time for final approach.

Tip:
Set one of your buttons to the LOOK BACK view. Whenever I fly in Spot Plane view and use the Hat Switch to look to the side, a quick way to reset my view is to just depress this new button which will give me a straight ahead view. I then only have to move my Hat Switch up or down to get my preferred vertical preference. 8)
I AM NOT A PILOT. I JUST LOVE AVIATION.

CAPTAIN--CIVIL AIR PATROL
...Emergency Services Training Officer
...Instructor at the Florida Wing Conference 2012.
...Mission Observer (front right seat)
...Air Operations Branch Director
...Flew several times in a Cessna 182 with G1000 (maintaining the MFD).
...Attended two day class conducted by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center
...Completed training for Flight Line Marshall, Flight Release Officer, and Mission Radio Operator.

You should visit your local Civil Air Patrol Squadron and complete an application for membership.
Please watch this video that my son made of a Discovery Flight from Albert Whitted Airport (my home base). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EMUg1jiCss
Please check out scenery that I helped develop for Albert Whitted Airport http://www.surclaro.com/download.php?query=KSPG&op=search&cid=
Check out this article in Air and Space Magazine concerning Albert Whitted Airport:
http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/The-Airport-That-Wouldnt-Die.html

groundsquirrel

Another method.........

Post by groundsquirrel » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:22 pm

Another method is to open up a spot view window, or even two. I have tried this with great success. While looking out the front windscreen, I will have a forward spot view dragged down to one corner of the screen and a side spot view dragged over to the other corner so I can keep an eye on runway alignment and flare angle while I watch my critical intruments.
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

Maxell

Post by Maxell » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:25 am

And if you have a hard time aligning the plane to the runway, make a little view in the corner that looks at the airplane from the back. SO you will use the nose gear as a reference, and align it as precise as possible to the runway. Then monitor how the alignment loks from the cocpit, and in no time, you will get the feeling and you will align yourself to the runway so easy, you will be amaised yourself, trust me :D

edit by groundsquirrel: that's what I just said.....

Maxell

nrkazmi
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by nrkazmi » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:06 pm

By the way what is the traffic pattern, because I have set my realism settings to easy and usually I am the only person flying when approaching my destination airport. How can then I know that I have entered the traffic pattern? :?:

dmshakes

Post by dmshakes » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:31 pm

The traffic pattern is the circut for all VFR aircraft and the approch or missed approch for all IFR aircraft

Even in the real world at uncontrolled airports (No ATC) so either a mandatory frequency (MF) or an air traffic frequency (ATF) there is real lack of communication between these two classes of traffic

One question, I see that many of the responces are in regards to landing straight on the runway
Is this the problem or is it an approch that is not a straight in approch like a LOC or ILS

if you cant manage to keep the plane straight go up to about 4000 above an airport and shut off the engine (in a 172 or something) and glide it in.

the adverse yaw from power changes will cause the plane yaw left or right and then the plane will not be straight on the runway, a pilots worst nightmare when landing in a heavy cross wind

Maxell

Post by Maxell » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:05 pm

Gsquirrel, I thought you said a SIDEVIEW and a FRONTVIEW, if you meant a viwe from the back of the airplane, I'm sorry, I thought you were talking 'bout the view from the FRONT. Frainkly it was a little strange that you'd be looking from the front of an aitplane....but :? hmmmm, never mind.

Maxell