FS Tweaks and Tips...

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, skipperdan

lortiawhak
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

FS Tweaks and Tips...

Post by lortiawhak » Sun May 15, 2005 10:26 pm

For those of you whole are having low framerates, I recommend a thing that increases your framerates. It is called
FPS_Patch_FS9.zip
and is available right here on this site. Before I tried it, I never got above 20fps, but now I am up to over 50fps 8O.
It may not work on some machines, but it doesn't hurt to try :P

Also I recommend you read Tips and Tricks for fs2004 by David Marshall. It has some tips and tricks and other things that enhace your flight sim experience. There are 10 in total I believe. Available at major sim sites

And if you would like to test your flying skills, download this course
http://flightsim.andyjohnston.net/course.html
Choose from either the hard course or the easy one and fly through it with a jet. Put either the hard or easy course file in your Addon Scenery>scenery folder. Then simply takeoff from KEWR. You can't miss it. Good luck!!

Disclaimer:
I am not responsible for any problems you have
Last edited by lortiawhak on Sun May 15, 2005 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Surgeon General's Warning:
Posts by Lortiawhak are always truthful. Use at your own risk!!

up-chuck
SurClaro senior forum member
SurClaro senior forum member

Post by up-chuck » Sun May 15, 2005 10:59 pm

Thanlks for the tip [email protected] im downloading right now,

love the disclamer[/size]

Rana.V2
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Re: end your fps problems and others!!

Post by Rana.V2 » Mon May 16, 2005 1:55 am

lortiawhak wrote:For those of you whole are having low framerates, I recommend a thing that increases your framerates. It is called
FPS_Patch_FS9.zip
and is available right here on this site. Before I tried it, I never got above 20fps, but now I am up to over 50fps 8O.
It may not work on some machines, but it doesn't hurt to try :P
HI lortiawhak,

no offence to the author; but are you sure this patch works? As I understand, FS autogen can be set from the XML file this patch updates: the XML file defines which autogen objects to show. Now this patch uses bad xml standard (a close tag without opening it).. now most xml parser would stop at this error: which means I believe this xml will have the same effect as removing the default file (extra fps from none of this autogens defined in default.xml)
:idea:
Regards

Rana Hossain
author of Freeware FlightSim Manager :oops: and FSM MovingMap :oops:

http://www.ranainside.com/

Applle //e, 64KB + 64KB Addon, 80 X 60 display mode... utter bliss

groundsquirrel
Forum Moderator - Master member

Hmmmmm,

Post by groundsquirrel » Mon May 16, 2005 2:41 am

Hmmmmmm, a little cryptic there Rana good buddy. I have used the patch before I got my screamer and it did help. Havent needed it since the move to my barn burner as now my screen halts are usually the result of massive scenery addons and not related to autogen anymore. When I had my lesser machine it was a definite improvement, however, be advised that once you push the resolution way up it's enhancement has a bit less of an effect. If ya'll will open the respective files up with wordpad (or your favorite text editor) you will see that he has removed some of the autogen object callups, in other words, he leaned out the autogen objects for the sake of frame rates. That means if you have a large object library being called up in addon scenery you will probably realize less of a benefit. For those using primarily default scenery with slower machines and having to run in 16bit resolutions you will definitely see some improvement in game fluidity.
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

Rana.V2
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Re: Hmmmmm,

Post by Rana.V2 » Mon May 16, 2005 3:44 am

groundsquirrel wrote:you will see that he has removed some of the autogen object callups, in other words, he leaned out the autogen objects for the sake of frame rates. That means if you have a large object library being called up in addon scenery you will probably realize less of a benefit.
Hi groundsquirrel,

exactly. the only problem being the file format (XML): this file format is based around "Data Defination".. now if you try to open any xml file in a reader (like a browser), you should be able to navigate between various nodes, which in this case defining which autogen objects to use. Most of the XML reader I came accross are quite strict: meaning if the XML has any errors, it wouldn't get parsed. If you try to open the patched XML file in your browser, you would also get an error (as I said: there is a tag close command for a tag that hasn't been open: xml is not as lax as html)

so my point is: knowing how MS likes to do stuff, I am almost certain it would use MS XML parser (the same code used in IE), which fails to parse this XML file.. what it then would mean is, the whole autogen objects will be empty.

I tried my theory: with patched XML, and no XML: I didn't see any difference (but again that was a while ago). I was actually hoping someone who has used it could tell me.
Regards

Rana Hossain

lortiawhak
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by lortiawhak » Mon May 16, 2005 3:47 am

Hi Rana
It works (maybe not). But strangely for me, as the frame rates went up, the flightsim became jherkhee. That's probably from limitation of my oldy moldy vid card, but I did see a rise in frame rates. And since the author writes in the readme that you can edit it to make it better. Rana? :wink:
So I will not use this patch because my pc doesn't seem to like it
Surgeon General's Warning:
Posts by Lortiawhak are always truthful. Use at your own risk!!

groundsquirrel

which means...

Post by groundsquirrel » Mon May 16, 2005 4:01 am

Which means we need Master Programmer Rana to take up the gauntlet and do his magic....... :wink:
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Mon May 16, 2005 5:55 am

Ya Rana...how about adding it to FSM??

(Like it doesn't do enough already??) ;)

I tried the patch and found no diff. If anything, it took longer to load some of my heavy sceneries...??? But at least the author is trying yeah? Maybe you could tweak it for us Rana, says it's okay to do so in the readme...

Thanks for the advice guys.

Exx

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Tue May 17, 2005 12:34 am

Lorti...changed the topic title on ya man. About time we had a thread like this one with more updated info. So if ya got a tweak or a tip for getting FS to perform better...post em up!! ;)

Here's my contribution:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951

PCI Latency tool. Helps with f/r by reducing resource hogging by video cards. Forum is at the bottom of the d/l page if you want to learn more about it...

Exx

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Tue May 17, 2005 4:29 am

I have found that with diligent tweaking and endless patience going in and out of 'settings' while flying around I reached a point where I couldn't get the framerates any better without dropping the goodies and levels that I found essential. Funny enough, dropping down to 800 x 600 from the next higher resolution doesnt do as much for framerates as careful selection of scenery levels and ALL the different settings in 'Display'. What I'm saying is, with my pIII 550, Radeon 7000 setup, I'm at the point where FS2002 isn't going to look any better or faster to me until I get ahold of a 3 ghz system and run FS2004 with a half gig or so of ram and an awesome video card, a 19" monitor, a wicked speaker setup, a force feedback stick, etc. That'll be a good day. :)

EricEsasco
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Post by EricEsasco » Tue May 17, 2005 12:13 pm

Yes indeed, trial and error are the only way to find that delicate balance between performance and eye candy. I have to again mention "FSAuto Start" It shuts down programs that I have selected and launches FS9 in a cleaner cpu memory environment and restarts them all again when I am done with the sim. If you are not running Winows XP I recommend "EndItAll" which simply shuts programs down. I have lots of add ons and accompanying programs that enhance FS9 beyond any flight sim I have ever had or presently have. Although FS9 does put a heavy load on high end systems today there are more advancements yet to come. Yes, patience will keep the planes in the simulated sky, for now.
Hey, whats this button do...?

Rana.V2
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by Rana.V2 » Wed May 18, 2005 1:17 am

Exxman wrote:Ya Rana...how about adding it to FSM??
Funny enough Exx that you would mention that: I did have a look at the autogen XML and did play around for a while.. but I think its my poor old eyes.. I couldn't see the correct changes.. I think I may take another shot at it though :)
Regards

Rana Hossain

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Wed May 18, 2005 3:02 am

Right on dude! Try it with an addon that really pukes up autogen to the max, remove the xml file and test it out. Would that work?

Looking forward to it!

Exx

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:06 pm

Another tweak. This one helps out quite a bit! From the man who brought us FS Autostart (kinda like EnditAll).

http://www.kensalter.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39

Exx

booboobenny
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member
Location: I live in a desrted little hut in asawrfeafttaseland

Post by booboobenny » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:06 pm

i can install planes but this beyond my league what do i do

Edit by Exx: If you don't understand it at all then I would suggest you not attempt it. If you understand parts of it but not all, then Google around for 'how to's' regarding registry settings. Remember, you mess up the registry and you can render your PC useless.

EricEsasco

Post by EricEsasco » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:50 am

HI, exx, I tried the registry edits and got a small boost but the side effect was a complete system lock up when I ran out of memory. Kinda like getting a tune up then blowing the motor. It turns out that most if not all of the real performance gains that I get come from those mysterious BIOs settings. They are quite specific to the type of hardware you have so research pays off and like the registry do not attempt anything that you are unsure of. Bad things can happen that are not easily fixed.

For the novice a smart approach would be to set everything to default settings and then adjust what can be easily seen thru the desktop display settings and flight sim options a little at a time so you can see what is what and how well or not it works for you.
Hey, whats this button do...?

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:04 am

Agreed mate. The BIOS is another major tweak option but I don't get into it too much as each system is different as you mentioned and if not done properly can fry your PC. Find a lot of people don't even flash their bios for upgrades and some leave the stock settings as is...ouch. A lot of factory AMD systems come with the CPU clocked at a rediculously low speed and all it takes is a little bit of research and experimentation to get it up to snuff.

Too bad that tweak didn't take. I've found it actually sped up my other stuff like Pshop and Ulead...oh well...we can only try right?

Exx

mrbigtime
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by mrbigtime » Mon May 22, 2006 10:00 am

do u know any fix for the slow texture loading while u r in game..u know..i look left and then right,right view textures loads slowly..its a major fs2004 problem in the net...

bigpom
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by bigpom » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:37 am

I downloaded and installed the patch and now have a frame rate of 49. I also get a message to say I am locked in at 50. I didn't lock it in. Who decided to lock me in at 50.........Dave

Dan Morera

Post by Dan Morera » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:34 pm

I recommend that you lock you frames at 24 to 30. That will free the resources the simulator is using to get everything looking good at 50. It should look even better at 24 to 30 (I'm locked at 24)
Last edited by Dan Morera on Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:04 pm

I doubt that anything over 25, you will never see any difference. best keep it down to around that figure.

Mel.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

teejay54
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by teejay54 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:19 am

HI:
I downloaded the pacth you recommended and it seems to have improved
my frame rates. Thanks.
Now if I could you fix my steering problems (Posted)
Carl

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:18 am

Uninstalling and Reinstalling FS2004 - Some Tips and Tricks

Re-Installing FS2004 - Some Tips and Tricks

compiled by
David “Opaâ€
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html