Virtual Cockpit

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, skipperdan

Virtual Cockpit, use it or not

Use Virtual Cockpit
68%
Don't Use Virtual Cockpit
32%

Total votes: 22

phillinabox
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Virtual Cockpit

Post by phillinabox » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:00 am

Hi Guys,

I have been flying for about three weeks, and I am not bad a flying. However, I can't decide if the virtual cockpit is better or worse. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me which is better used.

Thanks alot for your time,

Phill,

skipperdan
Forum Moderator - Master member
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by skipperdan » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:18 pm

I do not think that anybody will tell you which view is better or worse. I personally use all three views and enjoy switching between them. It is just a matter of personal choice.

Even though I have been simulating for 5 years, I still prefer to perform VFR landings via the Spot Plane view. I seem to be able to get better depth perception on landings using this view. However, I have been forcing myself to learn how to land using the Cockpit view because it is more realistic when you watch the instuments.

I fly 99% of the time via the Spot Plane view because I love seeing the gorgeous scenery that Microsoft has created (plus my addons). 8) 8)
I AM NOT A PILOT. I JUST LOVE AVIATION.

CAPTAIN--CIVIL AIR PATROL
...Emergency Services Training Officer
...Instructor at the Florida Wing Conference 2012.
...Mission Observer (front right seat)
...Air Operations Branch Director
...Flew several times in a Cessna 182 with G1000 (maintaining the MFD).
...Attended two day class conducted by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center
...Completed training for Flight Line Marshall, Flight Release Officer, and Mission Radio Operator.

You should visit your local Civil Air Patrol Squadron and complete an application for membership.
Please watch this video that my son made of a Discovery Flight from Albert Whitted Airport (my home base). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EMUg1jiCss
Please check out scenery that I helped develop for Albert Whitted Airport http://www.surclaro.com/download.php?query=KSPG&op=search&cid=
Check out this article in Air and Space Magazine concerning Albert Whitted Airport:
http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/The-Airport-That-Wouldnt-Die.html

barihawk
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by barihawk » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:05 pm

I fly almost exclusively with the virtual cockpit. If a plane doesn't have one, or if it is hastily and poorly done, it goes into the recycle bin.

phillinabox
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by phillinabox » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:19 pm

Thanks alot,

Any more views?

FSPilot06
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Post by FSPilot06 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:58 pm

I'm mainly a 2D cockpit user. The virtual cockpit is really cool, but there's just something about it my computer doesn't like, and nothing runs smooth in the VC. I always stay in my cockpit, even when taxiing a taildragger, so I can get the most experience out of Flight Sim. 8)
Flying is not dangerous. If you don't trust something that has to be supported by air, stay out of a car unless it has solid tires. And believe me, those kind of tires don't ride good at all.

Fettler
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by Fettler » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:23 pm

I use a combination of all three.

I use the 2d panel for takeoff, then I switch between that and spot view during the cruise, and for landings I normally use the VC or the 2D panel. I find that in the stock 737 the VC always gives me a better view of the runway than the 2d panel, especially when I zoom out a bit.
"Echinacea, Co-codamol, Ginko Biloba, Hes 8 miles high this fella, he's gangster trippin'"

Tenspace

Post by Tenspace » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:45 pm

Combination here, too. I use the 2D view for takeoffs and landings, unless it's VFR in a SEL, then I'll use the VC, so I can pan the view to look over my shoulder when flying downwind to land.

In the big planes (I usually fly the 737PIC), I set the VC view to a passenger seat about halfway down the fuselage, so you can see the wing out the passenger window view.

If I'm straight VFR, I'll use the VC when my view is mostly out the window (aerobatics, sightseeing), or I'll use the 2D when I need to flip switches, lean the mixture, etc.

Of course, the spotplane view is great for screeneshots and sightseeing, and I use the tower view, usually only on a replay of an interesting takeoff or landing.

09El_Boissevain
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by 09El_Boissevain » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:22 pm

I like 2d cockpits because you can make it the most reallistic. The VC is also reallistic, but mostly looks blurred out (except for a few functional gauges or sometimes they are not functional at all) and look more simulated than real. 2d cockpits you can take a photoreal shot of, let's say, an A330 cockpit and put that as your panel, but it is almost impossible to get that same quality in the VC. I like 2d over VC. That is just my opinion.

Captain El
Image Image Image
Protect your PC against security threats with industry leading software from Kaspersky!

Tenspace

Post by Tenspace » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:39 pm

Based on everyone's replies, it looks to me that it boils down to this: if you are flying vfr or visual approaches, you're using VC. If you are in the clouds, or flying instrument approaches, you're using the 2D.

It's nice to have both of them. Could you imagine an instrument flight using nothing but the VC?

Or going sightseeing in the stock Mooney using the 2D view only? :)

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:47 pm

I tend to like watching the aircraft fly around. I'm usually panning the camera around, enjoying the scenery as well. I do switch between views as it suits me and seem to get something different out of every view, including the virtual cockpit. Some developers do very cool V.C.'s, plus you can pan around the camera, look at your interior or out all the windows at any angle, and the Feild of view is sometimes superior for landings in the V.C. The best use of different views I've found so far (in FS8 anyway), is the effect of motion, or the ZOOOOM factor that kicks in as the camera adjusts, going from tower view to spot view when changing views. The camera is far away for a few seconds, then adjusts and zooms in automatically to your last 'spot' angle, with the engine noise adjusting appropriately as the camera settles in closer. It is effective if you are flying a very fast, loud aircraft when cycling views, provides a bit of a visual and aural rush. 8O 8)

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:52 pm

if you fly strictly 2d, or vc and ATC says you have a craft on your 6... and you try to look back for it.. in some aircraft you have a headrest right in your field of vision..... where as if you switch to spot, you can pan back and look and see if it is really there, and what is going on with that plane.

i love to fly spot so that i can see what is going on around me, and i only go 2d if i need to change AP or any of the guages, or if i run into weather problems then i MUST fly IFR.... other wise, although i have filed an IFR plan, i fly VFR because it is easier.... (i grew up on SNES, PS, PS2 flight games... oh well) guess i need more practice on 2d huh??? lol
Dell Inspiron 2200 Laptop
WINXP Home (sp3)
Intel Celeron M -- Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1396 Mhz
Total Physical Memory 1,280.00 MB
Video: Name Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
Sound: SigmaTel C-Major Audio

09El_Boissevain
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by 09El_Boissevain » Mon May 22, 2006 10:36 am

The Captain Sim 757 Virtual Cockpit look soo cool!! 8O Can anyone confirm who has the CS757 to say if it is really as it shows in the pictures??

Thanx

Captain El
Image Image Image
Protect your PC against security threats with industry leading software from Kaspersky!

mrbigtime
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

i just cant do without VC!

Post by mrbigtime » Mon May 22, 2006 11:38 am

its most realistic way of feeling of stting in a cocpit...360 degree of view angles..cool

FSPilot06

Post by FSPilot06 » Sat May 27, 2006 4:48 pm

Well, since my computer decided to run it better, I now fly in the VC. It's way more realistic and the panning really helps out. Example: When I fly my 182 during the climb, I use my hat switch to look at the primary flight instruments. However, the manifold pressure gauge is not in sight. When I level off and reduce power, I just move the view down a little to see the MP gauge. When I have power set for cruise, I start watching the instruments again. The VC is really cool if you can use it good. I love it since I started using it. :)
Flying is not dangerous. If you don't trust something that has to be supported by air, stay out of a car unless it has solid tires. And believe me, those kind of tires don't ride good at all.

Red1530

Post by Red1530 » Sat May 27, 2006 7:19 pm

I manely use both of them in flight.

wheelright

Post by wheelright » Sun May 28, 2006 12:48 am

I look for aircraft with really good VCs. The best are usually payware but there are many good freeware ones as well. Those by Milton Shupe or the Lyons' are particularly good in the freeware catagory.

To really appreciate a good VC though, you need to use a companion program like Active Camera or TrackIr.

I use the 2d primarily for preflight since dropdown panels are usually more easily accessable there. I love the chase view for checking out the plane and the scenery but the VC is where it's at for realistic flying.

Since I added TrackIr4 Pro to my rig I fly almost exclusively in VC. Once you get it adjusted and get used to the movement, it's amazing how it opens up the sim experience. I no longer feel like my head is in a vise. If I want to check out my six, I just turn my head. If the yoke is in the way, I look over or behind it just like you do in real life. Taxing a tail dragger is so much easier when you can stick your head out the window and look around the cowling.

There is a setting for VC resolution in FS9. Crank it all the way up if you can and it should be clear enough to navigate by. If not, like barihawk, I dump it. I am becoming more selective as I get used to flying this way so my hanger is getting sparser as weed out those that lack a good VC.

FSPilot06

Post by FSPilot06 » Sun May 28, 2006 3:09 pm

In order to make the VC appear less blury, I cranked up the Global Max Texture Size. It is still somewhat blury after I did this, but it's way more acceptable, and it didn't seem to slow my computer down any. However, to get even more out of it (not much of a difference, to be honest), I turned up the MIP Mapping quality, which slowed down my computer, so I couldn't do it like that.