The people who do everything by themselves--not autopilot

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, skipperdan

mrbigtime
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

The people who do everything by themselves--not autopilot

Post by mrbigtime » Fri May 19, 2006 9:26 am

Hi there nowadays after getting my FSPASSENGER addon i realy doubled up my FS experience.Now i try to act a real pilot. And i try to be careful about all actions i make. About usage of autopilot i dont know correct usage of it.infact the reason is my aircraft.i bought a 727-100 and started my Airline company :).i found the alttitude autopilot stuff but auto heading is not visible..i cant find it:( its a captainsim addon aircraft :).Anyway so i cant use other autostuffs.Maybe the reason is my english :P .After takeoff i climb the required altitude i make a straight line,match to gps waypoint.when i reach the desired altitude i say my CO pilot to make it auto pilot in that position :D.YES...i order him by using shortcuts key..its addon's magic :D.and he applies it..we fly to a straight fly to the destination by altitude autopilot.but sometimes tehre are turbulance so passangers fears and i change my altitude for good weather.when we close to our destination i cancel auto pilot and i contact with ATC u know the rest..After that i make my turn for the landing.then i land..lol.but i do all of these with manualy..i think its the best part of the game..Landings.nothing can give the very proud feeling of a manual good landing :).and consider Passangers are satisfied :D ;) ...its a skill to land by manualy i guess.Which way u usnig?

Radioman
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Post by Radioman » Fri May 26, 2006 1:12 am

I agree with you wholeheatedly about flying manually. I do my takeoffs and climbouts manually. I level off at cruise altitude, trim the aircraft for level flight and only then do I apply the autopilot simply to hold the aircraft at altitude during cruise. I manually make all the turns during cruise from one airway to the next. I turn off the autopilot before I reach top of descent and fly my desecent and approach (whether it is visual, VOR, NDB or ILS) manually. Yes some people use the autopilot to do a lot of those things but you will never develop any skill by using the autopilot all the time and it takes the fun out of the simulation if all you do is sit back and let the computer fly for you. In my opinion there are few things more fun in FS than flying a good precision IFR flight by the numbers and right on the money every time. By flying manually all the time I got the the point where I was doing calculations in my head as I was making my descent and I could get the plane almost perfectly centered on the localizer and on the glideslope before I started receiveing them so that when I got in range the pointers were very close to center already.

Max
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by Max » Fri May 26, 2006 5:51 am

Last time I used an autopilot for landing in FS was about 6 months ago when I was testing out an aircraft for reviewing. I have logged about 700 hours of Flight Sim time since last summer, and I can say that on all flights, the SID, and the STAR as well as some enroute stuff were done manually. It's simply no fun doing it on autopilot.

On the other hand, in real life, Autolands is something I've only seen in training, because I'm a B727-200 captain. The autopilot is limited, but the airplane is very well begaved, and it's flown manually to somewhere ~10.000 feet, then the autopilot kicks in with "Pitch hold" :lol:

Buying the Captain Sim 727 was a mistake, in my personal opinion. I don't know about the 727-100, but the 727-200 model just doesn't look like a 727 when airborne. Plus, the manuals didn't match the addon properly.

I am interested to know how did you overcome the fact that there's no autothrottle on the 727 :)
Dont point your plane where you brain hasnt been 2 minutes ago.

mrbigtime
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by mrbigtime » Fri May 26, 2006 10:49 am

i I bought a 727-200 and it has more capacity than 100.About the autothrottle ...I try to act like a real Pilot :D.u know that better than me. :lol: ..I got a good saitek X52 and its throttle is good..i always monitor the heading,altitude and speed.Infact the speed is much more important for me when they dont allow me the 250kts speeed limit under 10.000 feet:).i manualy increase or decrease the speed by myself...

manual usage of a plane is FUN..REAL FUN...

and an advice to all..i dont know if FSX will have FSpassenger like stuff but buy the FSpassenger it realy increase the Fun u get from FS2004...the feeling of carrying lives...it puts u to the edge ..;)

Max
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by Max » Fri May 26, 2006 11:04 am

You're not quite supposed to watch the speed and adjust the throttle during cruise. If you have the performance tables, you'll see that for a certain Flight Level and certain gross weight, you have the standard throttle settings which ensure you're flying at M .80
It's measured by the engine's pressure ratio, and goes between 2.07 and 1.76 for FL 330 for example.

Also, initially you should keep the throttle set at Max Climb Thrust and adjust the pitch to maintain 250 kts. That's gonna give you around 3000 fpm at low levels, and about 2000 fpm for higher altitudes.....

mrbigtime
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by mrbigtime » Fri May 26, 2006 2:34 pm

performance tables?iam a noob about specific technics of the FLIGHT LANGUAGES :) .u know english isnt my native language.Let me tell u waht i do in my flight.i wacth the speed clock if the ATC restrict me above 250 kts i use VC not panel.i watch the clock if it passes 250 kts or not.it gives me hard times :( .pls Tell me that which to use in the FS2004 setup menu: Indicated Air speed or True air speed.iam sure u understand what i try to mean :) . while take off i watch the speed clock and the pitch lvl i try to keep it under 250kts....oddly sometimes ATC ristrict me to above 250 kts and i pass the 250 kts as i see in the speed clock and @ the end of the flight FSPassengers (FSPS) show no penalty.So i think the clock isnt showing the tru air speed so my FS2004 setup for it is wrong..tell me what must i do..Captain 8)

Max
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by Max » Sat May 27, 2006 6:33 am

Always keep it at Indicated Air Speed. I could write a novel on why are you most interested to know your IAS before anyting else, but I don't think it's gonna help you much. Just keep it in IAS, and all the speeds you see, V1, Vr, V2, Vref, Vman and so on - will be in Indicated Air Speed.

English isn't my native language either :wink: But performance tables are the documents located in the Quick Reference Handbook, and you must have got that from Captain Sim when you purchased the 727. It's most likely in PDF format, so you need Adobe Acrobat Reader (or what ever they call it theese days) to open it. If you're planning to fly 727 a lot, I suggest you print it out. It's about 20-30 pages of stuff, that you'll find useful for every flight, and also very realistic, because that's how we do it. :)

mrbigtime
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by mrbigtime » Sat May 27, 2006 7:25 am

Thanx for reply Captain :).I have the PDF file u talking about :) Ok i will print it :) because i fly so much with the 727-200 :).Its a LEGEND u know. And now i learned so much about its flight dynamics.its much more easy for me to fly it.i learned how it acts in turnings and landings.infact i started to land without keeping my eyes in the avionics..i mean i look ofcourse but not much as i did past ;).

mrbigtime
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by mrbigtime » Sat May 27, 2006 7:26 am

Thanx for reply Captain :).I have the PDF file u talking about :) Ok i will print it :) because i fly so much with the 727-200 :).Its a LEGEND u know. And now i learned so much about its flight dynamics.its much more easy for me to fly it.i learned how it acts in turnings and landings.infact i started to land without keeping my eyes in the avionics..i mean i look ofcourse but not much as i did past ;).