Making night textures brighter

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, skipperdan

Radioman
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Making night textures brighter

Post by Radioman » Sat May 27, 2006 4:54 pm

I recently bought a new larger monitor and everything looks great except runways, taxiways, land, and buildings at night. These textures have all gotten much darker. If it were not for runway and taxiway lights I would not be able to find my way around the airport. I have the brightness and contrast adjusted to give maximum brightness but it is still not enough. I have also downloaded the latest drivers for the monitor. It is an HP vs19e 19" LCD. Is there some obscure setting hidden away in FS9.cfg or somewhere else that I can adjust to make these textures lighter?

TJ33

Post by TJ33 » Sat May 27, 2006 5:17 pm

I found a file from AVSIM that supposed to brighten the airport lights.

It is nicks_lightfix.zip...

I am going to install it today. I have noticed that with all the addons I have,, the lights were getting dimmer... The lights are so dim that I have landed on taxi ways instead of runway...

Be sure to set a system restore point before you install, just in case.

Accessories/system/restore...

Tj

tropicalfish
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by tropicalfish » Sat May 27, 2006 8:46 pm

theres no need to system restore, ... just back up the files!!
Computer Specs
Antec 300 - Case
Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W - PSU
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H AMD 790GX - Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Quad-Core - CPU
G.SKILL 4GB 240-Pin DDR2-800 - RAM
SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB - Graphics Card
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB - Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - Optical Drive
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating System

TJ33

Post by TJ33 » Sat May 27, 2006 9:49 pm

I loaded the file and what a major difference!!

I just loaded the airport lights file. Print out the directions and read them very carefully.. You add 4 lines in the [Display] section of the FS9.cfg file. You can raise and lower the brightness of the Vasi, Strobes, and runway lights in incriments of 2..

My aircraft lights are ok so I didn't modify them...

When you make uncertian changes to a program or add a new program, always set a Restore point before you start. If something goes wrong
( usually a critical dll gets over written) and program goes nuts. Then you can put system back before changes.. This is a major safety feature. Restores work only at program level. Good idea is to keep an updated restore point available... Especially if you load an old pre XP program.

Restores have saved my bacon more than once...

Do backup the FS9.cfg file before you mod it just in case.... You should always have a current FS9.cfg on hand anyway....

I have many addons scenery, features, aircraft in my system so I do a Norton Ghost image backup of the C: drive. It would be impossible to do a manual reload and get everything back on line...

Hard drives will fail. All you have to do is pop in a new hard drive and boot the restore disk and you are in business.. I use the D: drive to store the 16 gig image file... Just in case of a major meltdown (power supply shorts) I have an image on a USB drive.... Norton Ghost will boot the USB drive...

Image backups is the only way you can 100% recover an XP or NT system crash...

Tj

Radioman

Post by Radioman » Sun May 28, 2006 2:12 am

Cool, I'm gonna hafta try that file. Is there a way to increase the brightness of the land, building, and other scenery textures at night?

Radioman

Post by Radioman » Sun May 28, 2006 2:38 am

Uhhh, nevermind. I just found the answer. I increased the surface lights, vasi lights, and approach lights to 1.4 and it increased the brightness of the ground as well. Now I can see the taxiway and runway surfaces much better. It was waaaay too dark before. I could hardly see where I was going. It did appear to decrease to sharpness of the lights a bit but I can live with that in exchange for the increase in brightness.

Maaan, I'm just finding all kinds of solutions today, thanks guys. Now it's time to quit playing with files and go back to flying. :D

rd
Forum Moderator - Master member
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by rd » Sun May 28, 2006 4:13 am

LOL @ Radioman,

Welcome to FS9 man. There are more that you can do. At least you got what you needed.

Need anything else, let us know.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

mrbigtime
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Re: Making night textures brighter

Post by mrbigtime » Mon May 29, 2006 8:09 am

Radioman wrote:I recently bought a new larger monitor and everything looks great except runways, taxiways, land, and buildings at night. These textures have all gotten much darker. If it were not for runway and taxiway lights I would not be able to find my way around the airport. I have the brightness and contrast adjusted to give maximum brightness but it is still not enough. I have also downloaded the latest drivers for the monitor. It is an HP vs19e 19" LCD. Is there some obscure setting hidden away in FS9.cfg or somewhere else that I can adjust to make these textures lighter?
THIS is what i also have after buying a new Samsung LCD monitor!I cant see @ night.even runway itslef.!Darks are too dark.shiney palces are so much shiney.infact it looks real but..i need to see it clear :D.its not about LCD hardware brightness level as i see..

and what is the solution for it? what did u do in fs9.cfg?what is FS CODE? :D

Radioman

Post by Radioman » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:37 pm

All I did was download and install the lightfix file from AVSIM and install it per the instructions. It did seem to make the other textures a bit brighter but it does add fuzziness to the runway lights. In fact the brighter you make the runway lights the blurrier they become. The file gives you some lines to add to fs9.cfg after you intall the software. Changing values in these lines and restarting flight simulator will turn up the lights. It will also increase building lights, stars in the sky, and the lights on ai aircraft at night. The only downside is the fuzziness of the runway lights.

Let me know if you find another solution to the dark night textures problem.

mrbigtime
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by mrbigtime » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:45 pm

i found a topic about increasing peformance in xp and configuring the FS9.cfg file.i added those light "lines" in the cfg file 2 days ago but i couldnt test them yet :(.iam a bit busy nowadays :)

But..i tried that light addon and loved it...on the other hand it has a BUG!which is: when u r approaching the runway there are lights on the left of the runway u know.it telss u if u approach correctly or not.RED-YELLOW lights u know.They dont work!they r just solid lights!...do u have same bug?