Whats causing FSX to run so slow?

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, skipperdan

jeff_Dawson
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Whats causing FSX to run so slow?

Post by jeff_Dawson » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:52 pm

I just bought FSX yesterday.And installed it last night.But it runs so slow.Even with all scenery and effects turned down.It takes for ever to load up,it takes forever to pan left or right.Whats the deal here?My computer did great with FS 2004.But wont handle FSX.Is it because FSX is about 10,000MBs larger then FS2004?

I just want to fly so bad.But I cant due to slow motion flying.What a big let down for me.Can someone please help me with this?

bromster
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

you're not alone

Post by bromster » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:42 pm

Hey Jeff_Dawson,

Unfortunately it looks like 99% of the population is in the same boat.

I have a AMD 64 2800+, 1024MB RAM, PCI-Ex 6600GT and on medium detail I only get about 10 frames per second. I didn't know whether it was the graphics card or CPU that was slowing it down, so I monitored them while i was playing FSX.

The Hard drive light was flashing while I was flying, but not all the time. I think I need another 1024MB of memory to fix that.

What shocked me the most is that the CPU usage NEVER dropped below 100% !!! It seems like you need at least a 4.0GHz Dual-core CPU to be able to run it on high detail.

Looks like all us poor people need to sit tight in the hope that Microsoft release a patch to increase the FPS. :roll:

Bromster.

jeff_Dawson
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by jeff_Dawson » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:08 pm

Well that is so dissapointing to hear.So I wasted $50.00 on something that only puts out 5FPM.I guess i'll go back to FS 2004.At least I can pull great frame rates on that FS.

121a
SurClaro senior forum member

Post by 121a » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:15 pm

there is so much that goes into consideration with frame rates. I put the settings for weather on minimal settings, have low traffic, not high settings on my scenry and still get a nice 25-30(locked at). You really need to toy with the settings. BTW what are your computer specs?
Specs
Raidmax Smilodon Green Case
Sythe Kama Cross cooler
Intel Q6600 Quad Core @3.2ghz
8gb Corsair Dual Channel DDR2 800
Zotac 9800GTX OC'ed
250gb WD sata 3gb/s
650w Corsair PSU
FS9 on high-40 (locked) fps 35-40fps at high traffic airports
FSX high-low 30 (locked) fps 20fps at deserted airports

groundsquirrel
Forum Moderator - Master member
Forum Moderator - Master member

sounds like...

Post by groundsquirrel » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:40 am

Sounds like he needs to optimize his system a bit. Cut off a few processes, use a lower resolution, tweak the latency settings a bit, use 2d cockpit instead of 3d, etc. It really does take some work. I managed to get a steady 15-17 fps (very flyable, hardly any jitters at all) out of a P4-3ghz with a gig of RAM and an ATI 9600xt128 agp card. The 800mhz front side bus helps too.
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

bromster

Try This

Post by bromster » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:14 pm

Hi again,

I found a very useful PDF for increasing FPS. Go to Google and search for :"Microsoft Flight Simulator X Tips, Tweaks and config guide".

It explains what each slider bar in the settings menu does. It also tells you how drastically the different settings affect your PC. What helped me was setting the "Target Framerate" to about 25 FPS. When your PC reaches 25 FPS, your PC has a little breathing room to start calculating ahead of time. Now FS hardly ever drops below 25 FPS on relatively high settings... COOL 8)

p.s. All I did was increased the sliders that don't adversely affect the PC too much. I didn't try any of the fancy stuff at the bottom of the PDF.

Hope this helps. Here are my settings too... (my PC specs are in my previous post)
Attachments
FSX.JPG

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:01 pm

Very good info there, many thanks, im sure that pdf would help lots of people
Ice

Sky Blue Radio DJ - www.skyblueradio.com

Sundays @ 13:00z

pilot_alex_14