Freeware aircraft review FS9: Tupolev TU-95MS 'BEAR'

Flight simulator freeware add-on reviews and reports. Published by independent reviewers.

Moderators: gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, Cobra Driver

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Freeware aircraft review FS9: Tupolev TU-95MS 'BEAR'

Post by harkonnen » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:28 pm

As only Moderators are able to post in the "Add-on reviews" section of the forums I'm throwing this into 'FS2004'.

A few days back, for some reason I was hit with the urge to find something large, propellor driven and military in the freeware world of aircraft add-ons.
The bigger the better, and hopefully a nice model, texture job and great flight dynamics.
I went searching at random through Simviation's FS2004 'Military' section and on page 125 found this big-a$$ed Russian "BEAR"...The Tupolev TU-95MS, authored by Vladimir Zhyhulskiy.
I believe you need to register for free at Simviation once in order to just pop into their d'load library and grab stuff...great site like ours with lots of pages.

So back to the "BEAR", this is going to be a surface review, not in depth. I'm a bit of a flightsim idiot...I don't know VOR from a VCR, but I have a great simpilot's touch with most aircraft and know what I like with add-on aircraft, so this thread is meant to be a pointer to a quality download, with my impressions, to inform and possibly entertain you.

The install is straightforward, aside from the gauges - thay aren't obvious in a 'Gauges' folder like in some packages...they're in the 'panel' folder and need to be cut and pasted from there into your own FS9 'Gauges' folder.

This is a nicely modelled aircraft. It seems the author didn't waste frame-eating polygons when he modelled it, but managed to include all the details and usual features you come to expect in a decent download. (Transparent cockpit windows with pilot figures, good gear animation, nicely done propellors, etc.)

This airplane was just what I was looking for as it's BIG!
The engines power massive double-propellors and they're effectively modelled and have good blur and spool effects as you throttle up & down.
The gear sets on this big "BEAR" are pretty big and hefty-looking, and with great animation and texturing the gear overall is impressive and a nice asset to the model...well done.

You can see two pilots through the cockpit glass, nothing too special here but it's well done. The pilots look like they've been sucking on lemons or something, sorta sour Russian faces. :roll:
There's even a guy in the very rear of the airplane, manning the tailgun, pretty cool.

The texture job on this aircraft looks accurate and enhances the model well. I personally prefer higher-resolution textures than he used but it's not a detraction...the aircraft is very well represented as he's released it. Their are a few repaints available - nice ones by the looks of it.

O.K., now we come to the panel and included V.C. (Virtual Cockpit)

If you've found the gauge files in the panel folder and installed them properly (easy), the panel is great-looking and I found it impressive...looks killer and I think he has all the basics covered here...his panel is a solid addition to this aircraft. The Virtual Cockpit is very impressive, with great detail and texturing. All kinds of lever animations work flawlessly and are great fun to play with...throttle, rudder pedals. yoke, and probably a bunch of other stuff I didn't even try! A very fine V.C. here folks. Along with the panel they make this aircraft well worth grabbing and experiencing....my reduced screenshots do no justice to this man's efforts.

Now I'll get to the best part of this aircraft (for me anyway)...the flight dynamics. I love sort of 'floating' in a great big bird like this for a smooth, impressive landing. Set up a flight well back from your airport and bring this big girl in so smoothly that even the Russian girls are swooning after your piloting skills. She's big and she acts big, but this is one of the sweetest, smoothest landers I've ever flown. With a lofty feeling of ease, superiority and calm comfort I touched her down like a pro first time without spilling even one drop of vodka!. Very satisfying to bring her in...and she takes off and cruises like a big Russian girl should, too. Well done!

There is a note in the Readme regarding the sound, you'll need to bring in a sound file, or alias in one of preference. This is easy enough to do but lazy folks like me do prefer to have all the goodies in one packaged download. Well worth the effort in this case, though...this Tupolev is a mighty bird...and a well balanced freeware add-on aircraft for those that enjoy these big birds.

http://www.simviation.com/

http://www.simviation.com/fs2004military125.htm This is page 125, look for the file - 'TU95MS'
Attachments
TUP1.jpg
TUP2.jpg
TUP3.jpg
TUP4.jpg
TUP5.jpg
TUP6.jpg
TUP7.jpg
TUP8.jpg

mel wilson
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by mel wilson » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:26 pm

Very nice report Hark, I have had this one myself for sometime, and reading through, you have a very accurate review, and as you say, there a few re-paints for this one, including a weathered look which is pretty good.

Well done Hark, nice one. =D>

Mel.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:36 am

tomcatdriver2006
SurClaro senior forum member
SurClaro senior forum member

nice report card

Post by tomcatdriver2006 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:21 pm

.................it's still a commie bird,

HARK, LET ME KNOW WHERE & WHEN you fly the dog again, I will be outside the 55 mile range NEEDING to plant a '54 in her gut! Love a TURKEY shoot. That commie developer is good.

I'll call Prez. Pukin' and thank him for the new playtoy, lol.

Really though: great review, great pics!! =D>

Thr pilots faces look sour because they have no "honeybucket" on board. You wouuld look sour too in that case! LOL! ROFLMAO!

Tomcardriver.
Last edited by tomcatdriver2006 on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:49 am

I like the review Hark.
The most amazing thing to me about this plane has always been the contra-rotating propellers. It is a sight to see in person as well, we had one do a fly by for us on the U.S.S. Constellation (CV-64) during PAC-EX '89. It was right down at deck level, and it was LOUD with all them prop blades cutting up the air, the co-pilot was waving at us with a camera to his face.

bannister
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by bannister » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:57 am

If you're in it for the enormous horsepower, and contra-rotating props, check AVSIM for "Samdim design" or "Tu-144/Ty-144". 8)