Revised: FS2004/FS2002 Bell UH-1H Iroquois with Screenshots

Flight simulator freeware add-on reviews and reports. Published by independent reviewers.

Moderators: gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, Cobra Driver

Rhythmosaur
SurClaro senior forum member
Location: Oppenheim (EDGP) / Germany (near EDDF Frankfurt/Main)

Revised: FS2004/FS2002 Bell UH-1H Iroquois with Screenshots

Post by Rhythmosaur » Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:59 pm

Test Flight Reports: FS2004/FS2002 Bell UH-1H Iroquois"

EDIT:
NEW!

http://www.surclaro.com/Reviews/UH-1H/

This is the revised Review with screenshots to do this amazing Heli justice finally. ENJOY

Overall Rating: 9 Recommended for skilled pilots.A very impressive piece of work that deserves solid 9 poins.
Last edited by Rhythmosaur on Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

Slime
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by Slime » Sun May 09, 2004 7:31 pm

Please more usage traces/dirt for the fuselage and stronger reflections for the windows!. Camorflage paintings should not reflect - ask any Air Force

Having 10 years in the Army

All UH1H "hueys" that we had at Ft Hood were Command an staff Hueys an they where all waxed to a high shine.

Insured Disaster
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by Insured Disaster » Sun May 09, 2004 7:57 pm

But if they were to be used for attack, would they not be duller?
Signature changed to avoid offending anyone.
LOL

ricktobin

Post by ricktobin » Sun May 09, 2004 8:04 pm

Unfortunately, most UH-1s have been reduced to primarily Command and Staff, Dog and Pony shows, and other missions less befitting it's outstanding history. Most combat missions needing a utility type helo go to the UH-60 now.

But yeah ID, if it was needed it would go to the paint shop.

Rhythmosaur

Post by Rhythmosaur » Sat May 22, 2004 3:42 am

A revised version of this review including screenshots is on it's way to be published. It has already been sent to SurClaro and will probably appear in the very next days.

The Rhythmosaur

PS: Seems the author revised the outside and inside textures...

Rhythmosaur

Post by Rhythmosaur » Thu May 27, 2004 4:15 am

Test Flight Reports: FS2004/FS2002 Bell UH-1H Iroquois"

NEW!

http://www.surclaro.com/Reviews/UH-1H/

This is the revised Review with screenshots to do this amazing Heli justice finally. ENJOY

Overall Rating: 9 Recommended for skilled pilots.A very impressive piece of work that deserves solid 9 poins.

Cobra Driver
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by Cobra Driver » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:27 pm

Well I have to agree!!!

I am a fanatic about the auto, and have not found a decent model that compares to the real-deal.

NOT ANYMORE!!!

It might not be a "correct" paintjob as some are complaining, I don't care about that, but the flight characteristics are right on.

When entering at about 1000 ft AGL at 90 knots, the aircraft (A/C) is in a correct attitude, shut the fuel switch off, I can't get F1 to kill it, then pitch down to hold 80 KIAS +10/-5, the rate of descent feels correct and if you keep collective in....well the obvious occurs.

So during the descent the A/C holds a proper 80 knot attitude then at about 100 feet apply aft cyclic for a decel, again the A/C behaves nicely and settles vertically as it's supposed to.

Upon reaching 15 ft. apply initial collective, and again the A/C performs nicely. The rate of descent reduces, and if too much coll. is applied the A/C will climb along with rotor decay, just like the real deal.

Wait for the A/C to approach the ground and at around 2 ft. start to cushion while holding the nose off the ground. The A/C settles nicely and lands correctly.

The only 2 faults I found were:

1. Upon applying initial coll., the sim does not require that much application, whereas the real UH does, might be my joystick calibration.

2. After landing, the blades are moving much too much. When perfroming in the UH, you can basically see the blades moving by, in the sim, it looks like it's still at operating speed. And, there is still ALOT of coll. left over. In the UH when your done the collective is at your armpit if done properly.

One aliby, the gauges are not as per US UH configuration, neither position or type, maybe they are configured that way in New Zealand. But they do work and the N2 responds to the INCR/DECR switch. Also the collective does not move up or down.

All in all I would easily rate this a 9+ for what is the most important part of the flight, the Eng. Failure and how it handles realistically in all phases of flight

To make it a 10, it would be nice to have access to electrical switches and CB's, the Emergency Governor switch, Hydraulic sw, etc so you could pratice real EP's. Also I would like to see it hang left skid low during a hover, this one hovers and lands level.

Hope this makes some of you as fired up as I am about flying it

Cobra Driver
Pugnare, Fornicare Au Mort

Rhythmosaur

Post by Rhythmosaur » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:34 am

Well , whatta great job! You obviously have real life experience. Think, I will come back to you when write my next heli review. But what about you writing one? Think about it, contact me or gbesoain (the admin) and see we won't be ungrateful!

The Rhythmosaur

Insured Disaster

Post by Insured Disaster » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:33 pm

The blade speed issue would be MS's fault. One of the limitations of FS is that you can only have three blade speeds to my knowledge. Stopped, slow, and blurred. Stopped is self explanatory, and slow is used for start up and shut down. Blurred is use the rest of the time. I liked the blades in Xplane better, as the tail rotor and main rotor worked together, and blade speed was more evident.
Signature changed to avoid offending anyone.
LOL