Gates where are you ?

Dealing with how to manipulate Flight Simulator software. Add-ons installations, utilities, errors, problems, etc..

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, gbesoain, Cat1, skipperdan

budo
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Gates where are you ?

Post by budo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:56 pm

In my FSX or FS9 program on some airports I use there is a choice when loading a flight that allows me to select a starting point such as a particular runway or a choice of a gate . I know if I am creating a flight VFR or IFR when I get taxi instructions I can follow ground controllers directions to the runway and also the “follow me” lines. No problem-however if I just want to create a flight non VFR or IFR and start at a gate I have trouble knowing where on the airport my gate is hence I have no idea where I am leaving from. Is there some way to solve this ? :?
I know I could select a runway instead but I would like to start from a parking place somewhere on the airport.
Budo

rd
Forum Moderator - Master member

Re: Gates where are you ?

Post by rd » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:38 pm

You could use one of the airport editors to find what gates are where, at any airport. You don't need to edit them, but you can click on the gate and know which one it is, size, and location. Then just start your flight at whatever gate pleases you.

Once you know which gate you will start at, as well as which runway you want to take off from, it just a matter of pushing back, and rolling out to the taxi ways. As you're taxing, pay attention to the ground signs and directions. These tell what taxi way it is, and what direction you need to go to get to the correct runway.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but from reading your post, I think it does.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

budo
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by budo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:41 pm

RD thanks for your reply. I think my best bet is to just pick a gate/ramp as a starting point, let the follow-me arrows lead me to the runway , maybe cancel IFR/VFR and let it go at that. I looked at one of your suggestions and the gates shown on a particular airport just don't jive with the selections given when you pick a starting point given the FS has so many
ramps and gates listed for a particular airport. Thanks for your effort. Budo

rd

Post by rd » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:23 pm

As much as Microsoft tried to make all the airports realistic, they are not, especially when it comes to all the gates available at a known airport. That said, any airport editor should load and show you what you have available for ramps, gates, etc, either in FSX or FS9.

If you're comfortable with doing what you're doing, fly on!!! :D

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "