Downloading and Installing Add Ons

Dealing with how to manipulate Flight Simulator software. Add-ons installations, utilities, errors, problems, etc..

Moderators: mel wilson, rd, Cat1, ricktobin, Insured Disaster, gbesoain, groundsquirrel, skipperdan

RickO
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Downloading and Installing Add Ons

Post by RickO » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:06 pm

Hello All,

Yup, absolute newby here, so here goes the obvious. . .

HELP!!! I need some serious download and installation help. Can anyone do the honors or at least point me in the right direction? I'm using both MSFS 2004 and X. I just completed reading Complete Beginners Guide: Installing Aircraft on the forum and in so doing, I can see others are have similar problems so I feel somewhat better. The question I've heard posed is, "Why is this so difficult when it would be so easy to publish clear, complete, step by step and easily understood instructions? I say it's difficult because if it weren't, there might not be a need for such sites as Addit! Pro Addon Manager. But enough rant. Please read on.

Under the Tutorials tab, I clicked on, brought up and printed out "Installing Aircraft(s)". While the instructions seem fairly clear, I counted 7 places in which the author instructs me to "Do" a particular thing: "Download", "Unzip", "Tell it to extract", "Tell it to where", "Create a Folder', "Look at the Extensions", "Just drag and drop". At the risk of sounding like a complete dunce and unfortunately for me (and a handful of friends who are having the same problem) each one of these instructions requires an answer to or explanation for the questions, "How?" or "Where is that?" The author assumes a level of computer literacy I / we don't possess. How or where can I find out how to do each one of these things as they apply to these instructions: Download, Unzip, Tell, Create, Look, Drag and Drop? Simply put, an instruction should read something like, "Tell it to extract, Etc., Etc. "You do that by. . . . . . . ".

Further unfortunately, I and the friends I mentioned are or were long time Helicopter Pilots (I'm retired after 38 years) not computer types, therefore, I / we have only really rudimentary understanding of the "How" to do all the things the author instructs. So my question is, how or where can I find out how to perform all these tasks so I am able to make up a clear, item by item instruction sheet that will allow me to easily and accurately download and install aircraft from Sur Claro such that they are usable in MS Flight Simulator?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. If there is a better tutorial somewhere that I haven't yet found but which covers all of this, that would be greatly appreciated. The frustration level is extremely high. Thanks a bunch. - Rick

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Re: Downloading and Installing Add Ons

Post by harkonnen » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:53 pm

I can talk a bit about FS2004.

I'll do the manual install way for aircraft, and maybe someone can jump in and do the scenery install basics, and/or how to unzip directly to the FS9 folder, or the use of auto-installers.

My first suggestion would be to have a good look at a typical aircraft folder.

For a basic aircraft install in FS2004, there's next to nothing to it, but in the same breath, it doesn't take much to muck it up sometimes.

Open up your FS9 folder found within your 'Microsoft Games' folder in program files.

Look for your 'Aircraft' folder and open it.
Select a simple aircraft's named folder and open it.
Alrighty... now you will see folders or text files for the different aspects of the aircraft.; Panel, Model, Sound, Texture, etc. Okay, close it up, this was just for familiarization.

As long as you put your add-on aircraft folder into FS9's 'Aircraft' folder it should show up in your sim, selectable by manufacturer in your 'Select Aircraft' page.

The unzipped aircraft folder will likely be named what the aircraft is, i.e. Boeing_737 and the like. Remember, watch for double folders, sometimes they are zipped up that way by the developer.
Don't double folder! Meaning when the sim goes to the aircraft folder to whip up your aircraft for you, it doesn't want to see another aircraft folder inside the 'Boeing 737' folder, it is only looking for the named folder with the essential folders within - model, sound,panel, etc.
Double foldering means lunchbag letdown - when you go looking for your new plane it's not there.

Have a look at another folder within your FS9 folder called 'Gauges'. This folder holds all the gauges the sim needs to display for all the different plane's Panels and Virtual Cockpit views.

Sometimes a developer will have extra gauges for you to install in this 'Gauges' folder. They will be included in the download and usually the 'Readme's' will instruct you. Open up the provided 'Gauges' folder, then 'copy and paste' those gauge files into your FS9's 'Gauges' folder. If you see files amongst the gauge files that look like .ZIP files, just copy and paste them as they are, along with your gauges...they're called 'cab' files or something and you're not meant to open them.
Many times there are no extra gauges to install because the developer used default gauges included with the sim already.

Occasionally a developer may include a few effects files for you to install along with your aircraft, in order to experience it the way they made it.
Same process, cut and paste any provided .FX files into your FS9's 'Effects' folder.

This is the method where you just use an unzip utility to unzip the aircraft into any old place on your P.C., then place the plane's folder into FS9's main 'Aircraft' folder by hand. If you know how to right click and cut and paste, you're laughing, it's way way way less complicated than it sounds, especially when you get used to looking at the guts of your FS9 folder.

EDIT: Oh, welcome to surClaro. :mrgreen:

mel wilson
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by mel wilson » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:34 am

Hi, and welcome aboard.

Hark has covered most of what you need, but I feel you are unsure about "Unzipping", or even if you have the utility to be able to do it, so my contribution to you, is a link to a website where you can download this free utility along with a few others you may need, the plus side on this site, is that everything is free. If you have any questions or problems, stick with us, because we will get you to where you want to be, the wealth of information within this Forum, is second to none.

I am sure you will enjoy your stay :wink:

The link you need is: http://filehippo.com/ you are looking for files "Winzip" or "Winrar" under the heading "Compression and Backup"

Mel.

http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

RickO
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by RickO » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:18 am

Well, Mel and Hark, thanks a bunch for your quick responses. I hope to find time today to give everything a try. I will add, if anyone has the inclination to offer further help or point me in other helpful directions, I'd certainly appreciate it.

BTW, not to offer my particular tail of woes but just to add information which might be helpful - but in my original post I forgot to add something that has plaqued me for ages and it may be of help here. It must be my carma, aura or some other strange phenomenon, who knows? I don't understand it nor does my wife or my semi, almost computer literate / geek son in law and another friend. It seems that when I am trying to download something by following instructions (not just on Sur Claro or some other sim site or set of instructions) or trying to get the the computer to do a particular thing, enivatably, what I'm told in said instructions is supposed to happen, simply doesn't. If it says something like, "You should then see. . . ", I DON'T! And, yes, I have checked and double checked that I followed the instructions to the absolute letter. But, nope, more often than not, I'm dead in the water at that point. Again, thanks to everyone. I hope I can return the favor some day.

Rick

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:12 pm

What exactly happens though.
You'll need to be a little more specific as to what stumps you particularly.

Downloaded files can't be found after downloading is complete?
Files Unzip to somewhere you don't know?
Aircraft doesn't show up in the sim after you go through all the steps?
Specifics will help us help you.

Here's another explanation of aircraft installation.
http://forums.surclaro.com/topic1095.html

RickO
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by RickO » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:46 pm

Hi again Hark,

The simplest answer to your question, "What exactly happens though". The most simple, obvious answer is, I never get anything downloaded. The specific answer as described in my original post is, as soon as the download / installation tutorial issues an instruction to "do" a particular thing: Download, Unzip, Tell, Create, Look, Drag and Drop, as it doesn't go on to tell the reader "how" to do that particular thing, I'm simply stopped and can go no further in the installation process. Basically, it's more of need to know how to manipulate the computer and its functions because as I also mentioned, ". . . I / we have only really rudimentary understanding of the "How" to do all the things the author instructs. Finally, as I also mentioned, "Simply put, an instruction should (it seems to me) read something like, "Tell it to extract, Etc., Etc. You do that by. . . . . . . ".

Thus, my having to show my computer shotr comings and my further requests, ". . . how or where can I find out how to perform all these tasks so I am able to make up a clear, item by item instruction sheet that will allow me to easily and accurately download and install aircraft from Sur Claro. . .?" and "If there is a better tutorial somewhere that I haven't yet found but which covers all of this, that would be greatly appreciated".

Sorry for not being more specific but that's about the size of it.

Again, I really appreciate all the help and thanks for stickin' with me.

Rick

rd

Post by rd » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:31 am

Let me see if I can help the poor guy. He is obviously needing help, and is getting his ass kicked. :mrgreen:

A couple questions, and then we can go from there, installing your downloads.

1: Do you know where your items are that you downloaded???

2: Do you have access or can you open the download/zip folder???

Answer those two, and we will continue......

RD

ImageImage

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:46 am

Couple of things RD he may be missing at the download stage, I have a suggestion, but I wont jump in until you ask. dont want to confuse matters at this point.

Mel.

RickO
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by RickO » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:21 pm

Good morning, rd,

Thanks for jumping in. You're absolutely correct, I've been getting my ass kicked by all this. However, I've been so busy since I joined the forum and started this ball rolling that I haven't been able to get back and try everything that has been offered. I hope to carve out some time this weekend to fully read and try what everyone has sent so far and see how it goes trying to gain an understanding of how to do the things required. But to quit rambling and answer your questions as best I can. . .

Ques. 1: "Do you know where your items are that you downloaded???"
Ans: When all this started, I downloaded (two attempts at two different SR-71s which both showed up and currently reside in the C drive..

Ques. 2: "Do you have access or can you open the download/zip folder???"
Ans: I do have access to them but when I click on them to "open" them, I get very little. When I click on either sr71 zipped file folder, it contains: a file folder XSR71a Blackbird; another file: File_ID.DIZ and a 3rd file: XSR71.GIF - not very much there, actually. Unless I'm misreading what has happened, just clicking on the zipped files seemed to unzip them and then open them. That said, as I said originally and in a subsequent response, if I'm told to do a particular thing, in this case unzip a file, I need to know how to do that which I guess requires using an unzip utility but which I have no idea how to find or use. The fact that just clicking on these seems to unzip them doesn't ensure that will happen each time I do it or the next time I do it. Is what happened what was supposed to happen?

One final thing. . . In my original post, I alluded to the fact that as a 38 year, retired helicopter pilot, I've stayed alive by the check list (I said Instruction sheet) and I would kill for one right now that explains every step of the download / installation process. Therefore, when I'm finally able to download and install aircraft at will and with no hiccups, I'll print a download / installation "check list" which will include the how that I feel should follow any instruction, and put it on the forum for any other unfortunate computer illiterates like myself.

Thanks a bunch. I hope that helps.

Rick

rd

Post by rd » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:11 pm

Thanks Mel, I appreciate it. I think I can get him going fairly quickly. It seems the tute doesn't quite explain the basics of what is needed, and how it works. Might have to look at it, and see if I can give it some help.

OK Rick, sit down, grab a brew, and read on....

Here is the basic file structure of both FS9(MSFS2004) and FSX. For now, I'll use FS9 as the source.

You first need to find your FLIGHT SIMULATOR 9 folder, as in the first pic.

Second, open it, and you'll see other folders. These are specific folders that do many functions in the sim, and all are needed. For now, we'll concentrate on the "Aircraft" folder. Pic 2

Third, open the "Aircraft" folder. Inside this folder is where you will find all of your aircraft that you can fly. This is where you will put your SR71. (more on that later). See pic 3.

Fourth, look at pic 4, I have the "Lear45" highlighted. Double click on this, and it opens it's contents. All aircraft MUST have the following items to be flyable. 1. MODEL 2. PANEL 3. SOUND 4. TEXTURE 5. aircraft.cfg 6. Lear45.air The other items are just informational, such as checklists and pics of it.

That's the basic structure of FS9 and FSX. Next, we'll install your SR71.

RD

PS: click on the pics to see them better.
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

RD

ImageImage

rd

Post by rd » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:43 pm

Now for opening and installing your aircraft (XSR71). I just realized that this is for FSX, so convert as needed. It is the same for both sims.

I downloaded your zip file, and it is a little more complex than usual for new guys. OK, no problem, just follow along.

When you double click the .zip file, you open it, and can move the contents inside of it, or explore it. In this case you see the 1 folder (SXR71aBlackbird) and 2 files.(pic 1) The aircraft folder is what you want to open by double clicking it. Inside of it, is what you actually want. (pic 2) You'll see another file/folder with the same aircraft name. Double click this, and you'll see that it has the required files/folders as described in the above post. You will also find some other folders included. These are what make it a little more complex.(pic 3)

OK, with the folder open, and seeing the files, lets take the unnecessary folders and open them up. They being the Effects folder, and the Sound_fs. Both are not needed inside the main aircraft folder, but can stay. So open the effects folder. Now open FSX, and open the Effects folder, take the contents inside the effects folder download, and copy/paste them to inside the FSX Effects folder. With the Sound_fs folder, open it up, and then open the Sound folder in FSX. Copy/paste the contents inside the Sound_fs to inside the FSX sound folder. This will take care of the extra folders inside your aircraft folder.(Usually these files are in separate folders and not in the aircraft folder)

Now we need to install the aircraft folder into FSX. Back click to where you see just the "XSR71A_Blackbird" folder. Now open your FSX Aircraft folder. Move or copy/paste that folder inside your FSX Aircraft files. You have just installed your XSR71. The other items are for reference only, as pics of the plane and a readme. You can keep them out, or copy/paste them inside your XSR71 Aircraft folder. Leaving them out, won't hurt anything.

One thing though... FSX likes thumbnails to show a pic of the airplane in the selection box. This doesn't have one. So you need to look for it in your selection box. Look for "Lockheed" in the manufacturers box, and SR71 for the aircraft.

If you have any problems, let me know.

RD
Attachments

RD

ImageImage

LI78
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by LI78 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:58 pm

I would be grateful for help with the following: I'm trying to install a380v2 Wilco to use with FSX with acceleration. In FSX I now see A380 as an option on change planes (along with the graphics of several different configurations), but when I actually try to change the plane to A380, FSX give 2 beeps and then shuts down the application. I have installed the add-on in the Microsoft Programs x86 Flight Simulator X folder and iin fact I see the A380 now under aircraft. Please help.

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:20 pm

Is your add-on made for FSX? Sometimes it gets tricky when trying FS9 native aircraft, but there are often easy workarounds by the sounds ofit.

Not an old gauge in your aircraft crashing FSX? (It's apparently another common problem, if the author's used older gauges in a panel used in FSX - crasharama.)

I don't have FSX, just commenting from memory. I imagine others here have the goods to help.

LI78
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by LI78 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:28 pm

Yes-- specifically I am trying to install FSX Airbus A380 v2 from Wilco Publishing "brings the Airbus A380 to Microsoft Flight Simulator X FSX aircraft Heavy. FSX download addons Filesize 90 MB Also Compatible with Windows 7 32/64bits". I am running FSX on Windows 7 74 bits machine. Again, grateful for any help. Thanks.

harkonnen wrote:Is your add-on made for FSX? Sometimes it gets tricky when trying FS9 native aircraft, but there are often easy workarounds by the sounds ofit.

Not an old gauge in your aircraft crashing FSX? (It's apparently another common problem, if the author's used older gauges in a panel used in FSX - crasharama.)

I don't have FSX, just commenting from memory. I imagine others here have the goods to help.

rd

Post by rd » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:34 pm

Are you getting an error box that shows up???

If so, look at the details and post what it says. Otherwise, you might try deleting your FSX.cfg, start up FSX, and rebuild its .cfg file.

RD

ImageImage

gbesoain
WebSite Admin
WebSite Admin

Post by gbesoain » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:49 pm

LI78 wrote:Yes-- specifically I am trying to install FSX Airbus A380 v2 from Wilco Publishing "brings the Airbus A380 to Microsoft Flight Simulator X FSX aircraft Heavy. FSX download addons Filesize 90 MB Also Compatible with Windows 7 32/64bits". I am running FSX on Windows 7 74 bits machine. Again, grateful for any help. Thanks.
Hi,

Please visit Wilco support page at: http://www.wilcopub.com/technicalassistance/

Note the instructions on how to install on Windows 7
How to install and setup an add-on under Windows 7 / VISTA ?
First, install the add-on using Full Administrator Rights.
Then, go into program files\microsoft games\
Highlight Flight Simulator X folder and right-click on it
Select the SECURITY tab
Click on your username (not on Administrator 1)
Click on the 'edit' option (it should have a pic of a shield on the button with edit next to it)
Then you should be prompted by Vista security module, click on 'ALLOW'
Then tick the 'Full Control' box and press 'OK'
Installation of our add-ons can now start.
Regards.,
G

LI78
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by LI78 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:55 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I had already noticed that advice and tried it without solving the problem. Still beeps twice when launch A380 and then FSX shuts down. However, I did not uninstall my first attempt first before reinstalling after changing the permissions. Would you recommend I uninstall the add-on first? If so is it as simple as just uninstalling the Wilco software or do I have to go looking for particular files? I assume I do not need to uninstall and reinstall .
FSX?
One last idea --- I have installed accelerator, but never installed SP1 and SP2. On the MS FSX site it says do not install SP1 and SP2 if you have installed accelerator. Will the Wilco A380 work without SP1 and SP2 so long as accelerator is installed?

gbesoain
WebSite Admin
WebSite Admin

Post by gbesoain » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:50 pm

Acceleration includes both SPs, try uninstalling and then re-install if that doesn't work please contact wilco support through their support form found at the same page I've sent you before.

Regards
G

ajver
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by ajver » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:40 am

How can I modify FSX or FS2004 files to make it compatible to FS2002 ?
I have built numerous aircraft which I can fly on both FS2002 and FS2004.

rd

Post by rd » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:18 am

What "files" exactly are you talking about modifying????

RD
RD

ImageImage

polecat
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by polecat » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:36 pm

Hello Sir,

I too am brand new to the Forum as of today I joined because I'm troubled when some addons install easily while others don't. I KNOW this issue has been answered before but I can't find it in the forum database so here goes:
My computer set-up -
CPU – AMD Phenom II x 4; 820 processor; 2.8 GHz
Operating System – Windows 7 Home Premium
RAM – 4.0 GB
Graphics Card – NVIDIA Geforce 210
Hard Drive Space – 953766 MB w/ 775625 free
FS Version – FSX v10.0.6xxxxxx

I have tried tied to install (from Surclaro) Target Drone (fsx_target_drone.zip) and FSX Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird (xsr71.zip), by extracting folders to the SimObjects Airplanes folder and neither plane shows up in FSX aircraft selections. I have also tried using Addit Pro but to no avail. Can you point me to the solution?

Hoping you see this mail soon.

Regards,
Polecat

starryskyn
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by starryskyn » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:53 pm

As others have experienced, when I download files, I get an 8.5KB zipped file that is invalid or corrupted. This has happened periodically in the past with WinXP, Vista and Win7 computers on cable modem 1.5Mb/s link. Others have tried with other files and gotten the same result. A post about this was sent in, but no clear explanation given by moderator "rd", that person just asked for more information. Here are files I tried today:
goodyear_supercorsairs.zip
b18avx.zip
ar962c2.zip
737ng_cfm56-7b_sounds.zip
All were in either the FSX or the FS2004 areas

If anyone could try those or see if other files have the same problem, maybe the administrator could investigate.
Thanks,
Gregg

Let it be known that I deleted the other 2 duplicate posts concerning the same thing. I can't give a clear answer if I don't have Admin rights. I do what I can with what I have, and what others give me. RD

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:32 pm

I have check on your downloads, and can confirm below:

goodyear_supercorsairs.zip------------ Corrupt

b18avx.zip ------------------------------- Corrupt

ar962c2.zip------------------------------- No Match

737ng_cfm56-7b_sounds.zip----------- No Match

I will contact Admin and try and get answers to why this is.

Mel.

starryskyn
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by starryskyn » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Thank you for looking at the file size problem. I was able to download several of the above add-ons successfully the other day.
Now there is a new occurance of a recurring problem:
When I attempt any download, I am sent to the login page. I log in and I am sent to my account page that has the upgrade option. I go back to the download of the add-on, and click DOWNLOAD or the zip file link in blue again, and I am back to my account page again. Endless loop.
Now what?
Thanks,
Gregg

rd

Post by rd » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:53 am

The Forums and Download sections require 2 different logon identities. Why that is, is beyond me. Try it, and let me know.

RD
RD

ImageImage

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:48 pm

rd wrote:The Forums and Download sections require 2 different logon identities. Why that is, is beyond me. Try it, and let me know.

RD
But the same thing is also true here at SurClaro. At least that has been my experience for a long, long time. It's been a source of great frustration for me for many years. But I've learned to adapt and put it behind me until now.

Bruce

rd

Post by rd » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:11 pm

jaeger52 wrote:
rd wrote:The Forums and Download sections require 2 different logon identities. Why that is, is beyond me. Try it, and let me know.

RD
But the same thing is also true here at SurClaro. At least that has been my experience for a long, long time. It's been a source of great frustration for me for many years. But I've learned to adapt and put it behind me until now.

Bruce
I was talking about ShitClaro....

:twisted: :twisted:
RD

ImageImage