When planes piling up at hold short... How to fix it

FS2002 and FS2004 AI features, doubts, setups, experiences exchange, etc...

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

SpectroPro

When planes piling up at hold short... How to fix it

Post by SpectroPro » Wed May 19, 2004 11:32 pm

Someone posted about this and I can't seem to find that posting now. Don't remember where it was and a search didn't help either.

Anyways, their problem was planes piling up on the taxi way at the hold short and never leaving. I found this from the AFCAD2 help file which may help explain the problem and how to fix it using AFCAD:
A hold-short node will not work if it is too far from the edge of the runway. That will result in ATC never giving you takeoff clearance and AI aircraft will stop at the hold-short node and get stuck there. The maximum distance seems to be just over 230 feet, but it is best to keep it under 225 feet (68.6 m) to be safe. Note that the maximum distance is from the edge of the runway, not the center line.

The program can display 225 foot radius circles around all the hold-short nodes to show the maximum allowable distance. This can be enabled by checking the Show Hold Short Limits item under the View menu, or by pressing the ‘H’ key.

Note that hold short distance limits are only crucial where AI aircraft actually enter the active runway for takeoff. AI enter a runway at the taxiway entrances closest to the ends of the runway. Hold-short nodes at other locations along the runway will not normally be used for AI entry.

This limit does not apply to ILS hold-short nodes, which are apparently not used by AI or ATC.

Another problem can occur when two or more aircraft line up at a hold-short node for departure, the aircraft at the front of the line may get clearance and proceed to take off, but the aircraft behind him may become stuck. This problem is more likely to occur with smaller aircraft. This can be prevented by placing a normal (blue) node or an ILS hold-short node just behind the hold short node. Some experimenting has shown this second node should be no more that 70 feet (21.3 m) behind the hold-short node to work with all sizes of aircraft. As a rule of thumb, just place the nodes so they touch or overlap slightly.
Whomever it was, and for others in the future, I hope this will help.

- Greg

Left Flyer
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Post by Left Flyer » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:38 am

Greg,

Wanted to ask something on the contrary...
I remember seeing tis screenshot u had posted of a massive AI hold up caused by a 182 at Tacoma.
Whenever I have tried to replicate this situation, I get a max of 6-7 piled up a/c. By then, the one in fromnt of the queue simply disappears!

How did u achieve that?
Peace is our profession...Bombing is just a hobby!

SpectroPro

Post by SpectroPro » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:22 am

Well, I was using Traffic 2004 at the time. I must say, I have never been able to reproduce that level of back up.

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:52 pm

Thassss right. If you are using a traffic addon then you can make it happen. If using PAI/MRAI/Boris...etc. plans then you won't cause they are realistic. Unless you have like a lot of plans going on...and tons of a/c parking...

(hiccup)

Exx

high_flyer90
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

other problems

Post by high_flyer90 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:20 am

I am running fs2k2, and as soon as I take off and other planes request t/o clearances, they have to hold short forever, even after I am out of the airspace. All of the planes before me take off without problems, but after me there are all kinds of delays. does anyone know how to fix this?
Why drive if you can fly?

pingponggame
SurClaro senior forum member

Post by pingponggame » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:29 pm

How exactly do you know that they are being backed up when you are out of the airspace? After Take-off, be sure to answer all ATC, than you will cleared to a different frequency and planes can act as normal.

Also, is this every airport or just a certain one?
ImagePingImage

high_flyer90
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

i fly back over

Post by high_flyer90 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:35 pm

I fly back around to land just making a quick loop, and theres about 20 planes lined up for departure. This mainly happens at atlanta, dfw, ord, and msp. I have the afcad set for those so that each runway is designated strictly for takeoffs or landings only.
Why drive if you can fly?

paulvil
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by paulvil » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:56 am

Also the falt finder will find any out of range.
Mmm, 3.14159...

booboobenny
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member
Location: I live in a desrted little hut in asawrfeafttaseland

Post by booboobenny » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:38 pm

what airbase air u at
Frogies will rule the world :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:24 pm

Dude these messages are from last year...get off the bong man...

Exx
Last edited by Exxman on Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pingponggame

Post by pingponggame » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:42 pm

ROFLMAO :D Maybe his smoke clouds covered the date on the screen!
ImagePingImage