ai frame rates

FS2002 and FS2004 AI features, doubts, setups, experiences exchange, etc...

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

jimbo61
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

ai frame rates

Post by jimbo61 » Fri May 09, 2008 12:57 pm

Hello:
I don't fully understand frame rate is ai. Which is better to have, frame rates around 6 to 12 fps or frame rates closer to 25 to 30 fps? I have ai aircraft as well as normal aircraft that are at either end of the scale. I use FS2004 in Win XP. I have my setting at 30 fps in my sim.
Thanks.

ricktobin
Forum Moderator - Master member

Re: ai frame rates

Post by ricktobin » Fri May 09, 2008 2:12 pm

I don't fully understand this part of your question:
jimbo61 wrote:Hello:
I don't fully understand frame rate is ai.
The biggest thing that affects your FPS with AI A/C is the amount of detail involved in the AI model. If the modeler included several LOD's (Level of Detail), the farther away the A/C is, the less impact the A/C will have on your frame rates. As the A/C gets closer to you, the level of detail improves and depending on your system, could have either a negative or positive impact on your FPS.

The higher the FPS your system is capable of displaying, the better. There is a limit though. There is a point that no matter how great your FPS is, you won't be able to tell any difference because of what your eyes are capable of seeing. So the difference in your perception of an FPS of 25 and say, 40 FPS won't matter. Your eyes can't tell the difference any way.

It all comes down to what models allow your view of the program to flow smoothly and not stutter or appear to be jumping from one frame to the next; kinda like a flip book that appears to be a moving picture the faster you flip through the pages.

I've found on my system things work better if I limit my FPS to 30FPS versus setting it to anything higher or even unlimited. Setting my FPS to unlimited can cause the span my system covers from the lowest FPS to the highest FPS to be so wide that it can have a negative impact on the performance of the program.

jimbo61
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by jimbo61 » Fri May 09, 2008 11:09 pm

Thanks Rick for the reply. I kinda see what you're saying. I was just thinking that the the lower the frame number, e.g. 8 fps was better to have than a high number, such as 22 fps. From what you are explaing to me, it much better to see frame rates around the 22 area than the opposite.

Thanks again. I'm kinda new at this, especially with ai aircraft.

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Sat May 10, 2008 12:08 am

By jove, I think she's got it.............

22fps is about what I aim for, anything more than that, is a waste of time, Rick has already supplied the perfect answer.

Mel.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

ricktobin

Post by ricktobin » Sat May 10, 2008 12:11 am

That's correct. The higher the frame rate the better the sim appears.

Another AI issue that can cause your FPS to drop is the number of AI A/C the sim has to render at any given time.

The fewer LOD's the more detail is visible when the AI A/C is farther away, which is a waste of system resources because if you can't see the detail, there's no point in displaying it. The more detail visible, the harder your system has to work to render that detail.

Now take all that detail from one AI A/C and multiply it by the total number of AI A/C (no, that's not an actual math formula for you to figure out) and your system can take a pretty hefty hit on it's resources depending on it's capabilities.

...and then throw in the effect of the A/C you are flying and all of your highly detailed scenery and there's another FPS hog to factor into the equation.

jimbo61
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

ai frame rates

Post by jimbo61 » Sat May 10, 2008 3:53 am

Thanks guys. I understand this a lot more now. Really appreciated your help.