AI boats for fs2004??????

FS2002 and FS2004 AI features, doubts, setups, experiences exchange, etc...

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

jmcdonald4
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

AI boats for fs2004??????

Post by jmcdonald4 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:50 am

just wondering is it possible to create ai boats for fs2004, ive searched on google and have gotten no strait answers

any help appreciated

cheers,
Jack

groundsquirrel
Forum Moderator - Master member

yes...

Post by groundsquirrel » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:45 am

Yes, if you can "fly" it, you can AI it. Planes, boats, cars, motorcycles, tanks, U.F.O.'s...you name it.
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

jmcdonald4
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by jmcdonald4 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:31 pm

cool, thanks
any ideas how to do this :oops: i have tried searching on google and all the results are for FSX but not fs9. As you know im developing a scenery product for FS9 for Sydney, Australia and im looking at adding ai boats and traffic around the harbour. Ive got the AI floatplanes sorted out im just pondering about the AI boats and what to do :D :D

Thanks
Jack

groundsquirrel

well...

Post by groundsquirrel » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:49 pm

Well...being a mechanic and seeing your enthusiasm for diagnostic challenges...the clue is that in FS, boats dont "float"...they fly at the altitude determined by the various cfg files. The appearance of floating is created by setting the reactions to the various "surfaces" in the FS rendering engine. Some of these surfaces are mesh, wind, hard surfaces of 3d objects, etc. It can be equated to game levels. Except in FS the level is not so much a fixed model but millions of dynamic "levels" being rendered in a fluid progression (unless your PC sucks...hehehe). So, the "boat" will appear to be "floating", but if you could strip away all the texture maps and watch FS in polygons only (a la Fs1) you would get the idea. Chew on that and then we will move on.

pingponggame
SurClaro senior forum member
SurClaro senior forum member

Post by pingponggame » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:03 am

Not sure about FS9, though I've seen various files for "AI" boats on Avsim and the like.

This website seems to prove that its possible in FSX however..I don't own FSX to test it, but it was a fun read.

http://lc0277.nerim.net/boat/

EDIT - Didn't see that previous post about fsx...my bad.. lol
Last edited by pingponggame on Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImagePingImage

jmcdonald4
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by jmcdonald4 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:13 am

thanks pingponggame, well worth the read :wink:

Thanks,
Jack

http://deluxe-sceneries.yolasite.com/

groundsquirrel

oh alright...

Post by groundsquirrel » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:18 am

Look. AI boats in Fs9 has been done. It has been done many times, it just never really caught on as the must have eye candy except by a few hard core simmers who wanted their neighborhood to be as real as possible. The one artist who put the effect to greatest use, in my opinion, is Holger Sandman. Look up his Columbia River scenery here in our library. You seem intelligent enough to deconstruct it from there. I havent seen anything very recent from him so I dont know if he is still in development or not.