Be still my beating heart!

Real aviation pilots chats

Moderators: rd, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster, gbesoain, Cat1

groundsquirrel
Forum Moderator - Master member

Be still my beating heart!

Post by groundsquirrel » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:45 am

Today I heard a familiar sound. Something from my youthful memories stirred me to walk out in front of the shop and look up. There it was! In all it's leftover glory. An RF4-C Phantom II downwind on finals for a run at 18/36 Hurlburt Field. Of course it's been a long, long time since any Phantoms were operational and this one is no different. It belongs to "Team Target" at Eglin and sports international orange on it's vertical stab' and wingtips. The howl from it's old kerosene burners sent shivers of joy up and down my spine as I watched it turn on final and dip below the tree line. Sigh . . . . today was a good day. Here's a couple of pic's I had from (oh my God!) 2004 at the Eglin Air Force Base open house and air show when I first spied this beauty.
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

harkgoddammit
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Re: Be still my beating heart!

Post by harkgoddammit » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:19 am

Oh man, I would have had goosebumps too. Nice photos - that is an impressive looking aircraft. Would have made my day too. I recall popping outside of work years ago in southern Ontario and catching the Concorde go over, and the same deal another time and one of those stealth fighters was flying right overhead, (air show weekends). It's so cool when you're just doing your thing though and don't expect to see them, eh?

rd

Post by rd » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:53 pm

Oh hell yeah, love the Phantoms. I miss watching them take off an/or land at Aviano. It was great view from the road as it headed toward you.

Don't know why, but a couple weeks ago I happened to look up through my sun roof. Lo-and-behold.... a B2 was on final to Offutt AFB. Usually the only time you see it is during the air show. Why it was here, I haven't a clue.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:45 pm

Good to see a Phantom once more, to give it justice John, I gave it a cut-n-shut :wink:

Mel.
Attachments

http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

skipperdan

Post by skipperdan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:30 pm

Hey there good buddy:

It is great to know that you were able to crawl out from under a car to see a great aircraft. I'm just disappointed that this aircraft was not flying overhead when I sent a few hours visiting with you a few years back! However, I will never forget departing your residence and my visit at NAS Pennsacola visiting the Naval Air Museum and watching the Blue Angels practice.

Drop me an email if you will be able to spend some time at SUN-N-FUN. I purchased my ticket about a month ago. It will be great to see you again.
I AM NOT A PILOT. I JUST LOVE AVIATION.

CAPTAIN--CIVIL AIR PATROL
...Emergency Services Training Officer
...Instructor at the Florida Wing Conference 2012.
...Mission Observer (front right seat)
...Air Operations Branch Director
...Flew several times in a Cessna 182 with G1000 (maintaining the MFD).
...Attended two day class conducted by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center
...Completed training for Flight Line Marshall, Flight Release Officer, and Mission Radio Operator.

You should visit your local Civil Air Patrol Squadron and complete an application for membership.
Please watch this video that my son made of a Discovery Flight from Albert Whitted Airport (my home base). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EMUg1jiCss
Please check out scenery that I helped develop for Albert Whitted Airport http://www.surclaro.com/download.php?query=KSPG&op=search&cid=
Check out this article in Air and Space Magazine concerning Albert Whitted Airport:
http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/The-Airport-That-Wouldnt-Die.html

groundsquirrel

Post by groundsquirrel » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:54 am

Unfortunately, there is no rest for the wicked. I'm still very busy at work trying to make sure my job is saved, no thanks to O-man. Take heart brothers because I am saving tax dollars. I keep people from wearing out the sidewalks and that saves tax dollars. I mean, how else are we going to fund the tax giveaways for The Jobs For Friends Program? :cry:
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.